What are you watching?

woolybug25

#1 Vineyard Vines Fan
Reaction score
On March 13, 2012, it was reported that Warner Bros. Pictures was now interested in making at least the first film and that Russell Crowe, tipped to play Roland Deschain, was no longer on board. Reports indicated that filming may have commenced as early as the first quarter of 2013.[24] However, Warner eventually passed on the film.[25] Later, on April 10, 2015, it was reported that Sony Pictures and Media Rights Capital would be going ahead with the first film in the series alongside a television series, using a reworked script by Akiva Goldsman, who worked on the initial 2010 proposal, and Jeff Pinkner.[26] On June 2, 2015, Nikolaj Arcel was hired by the studio to direct the film.[27] On August 5, 2015, Sony set the film for a release on January 13, 2017.[28] On March 1, 2016, it was announced that Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey had both joined the film, cast respectively as Roland Deschain and Randall Flagg.[29]

I find it interesting, on many levels, that they casted Idris Elba as Roland Deschain. While he is an incredible actor that I like very much, he also doesn't remind me anything of the Deschain of the books. Deshain is a white dude with different personality than what Elba has historically portrayed. This pic shows what I mean:

960.jpg

I would have like to see them cast Javier Bardem (No Country for Old Men), Viggo Mortensen, Brad Pitt or Daniel Day-Lewis. I think all of them could pull off the persona that the books portray.

Then there's the white elephant in the room. Again, I don't want this to come off wrong, huge fan of Elba. He's an A-lister in my opinion. But the fact remains that there aren't a lot of African-American lead actors that can carry an entire big budget, sweeping, huge scale franchise. Maybe Denzel or Will Smith, but they haven't even been able to pull it off. Outside of movies specifically marketed to African-American audiences (like Tyler Perry's stuff, which I also really enjoy), there simply aren't any widely successful franchises led by African American leads. I will go see it either way, but I hope his casting doesn't diminish the viewership of the movies. Because this story is the magna opus of Stephen King. It should be a multi movie epic that everyone is talking about. I think Elba will do a terrific job, but I hope people actually go to the movies to see it.

Thoughts?

woolybug25

#1 Vineyard Vines Fan
Reaction score
To add to above, Elba being casted also changes a storyline in the movie. One of the nemesis in the story is Detta Walker, who is actually a pretty important character, and has a huge distaste for white people. It's a defining characteristic and pivotal to their interaction. How does that work if Deschain isn't a white dude?

C

Cackalacky

To add to above, Elba being casted also changes a storyline in the movie. One of the nemesis in the story is Detta Walker, who is actually a pretty important character, and has a huge distaste for white people. It's a defining characteristic and pivotal to their interaction. How does that work if Deschain isn't a white dude?

They could cast a black dude for Detta and give Dechain a white woman as a wife?

woolybug25

#1 Vineyard Vines Fan
Reaction score
They could cast a black dude for Detta and give Dechain a white woman as a wife?

So now we are changing two characters races and adding a character to justify it?

That's the kind of shit that makes people not like a movie.

IrishLion

I am Beyonce, always.
Staff member
Reaction score

The racism was a facet of Detta's character, but I always viewed it simply as "Detta is a nasty bitch." I think there was even a part in the books, when discussing how Detta would mess with guys, where she was being racist towards a black man, which showed just how messed up she was.

They might pull something to carry that racial aspect where she yells at Roland that he's an "Uncle Tom" or something just to make it clear that she's got issues with white people, but even if they don't, I still think the main thing to drive home is that she's an unstable psycho that can be unpredictable in her nastiness. You don't need racism to define her overall character, though it certainly helps.

woolybug25

#1 Vineyard Vines Fan
Reaction score
The racism was a facet of Detta's character, but I always viewed it simply as "Detta is a nasty bitch." I think there was even a part in the books, when discussing how Detta would mess with guys, where she was being racist towards a black man, which showed just how messed up she was.

They might pull something to carry that racial aspect where she yells at Roland that he's an "Uncle Tom" or something just to make it clear that she's got issues with white people, but even if they don't, I still think the main thing to drive home is that she's an unstable psycho that can be unpredictable in her nastiness. You don't need racism to define her overall character, though it certainly helps.

I hear ya, but I don't like it. Sure, the broader personality was "nasty B-otch", but she was clearly racist in the books and I do feel like it was a defining part of her nastiness.

Again, the whole changing of race for Deschain has a snowball effect. They may seem like small things, but the cumulative effect could water down the story, imo. I feel like because Elba is a terrific actor, they force fed the part to him. When Crowe dropped out, they should have hired Javier Bardem. He is perfect for the role and his solemn look/persona is exactly what is described in the book. Originally, Bardem was offered the role and he was casted. He was even quoted to "really wanted to do it". So here is my tinfoil hat theory.

When financing folded with Universal, and JJ Abrams dropped out, they had to revisit everything. That is when I think Matthew McConaughey was casted as Walter Padick. During the transition, everything was in flux and somehow Bardem just disappeared from consideration. My thought is that it would have been awkward to have Bardem teamed with McConaughey, as Bardem is married to his former love-kitten Penelope Cruz.

So this thing started with a JJ Abrams and Ron Howard putting it together with a sweet cast of Bardem, Viggo Morteson and Noami Harris (Detta Walker). Which is perfect. Now all but Ron Howard are still in. Deschain is a different race and Detta isn't even in the movie. I can't help but to worry about it being a watered down version of what could have been an awesome saga.

I mean, outside of Elba and McConaughey, the cast doesn't blow off the page at you.
The Dark Tower (2017) - Full Cast & Crew - IMDb

Last edited:

IrishLion

I am Beyonce, always.
Staff member
Reaction score
Im with you on the general feeling. Elba is a cool dude and a badass, but he doesnt scream "Roland Deschain" to me. I think he can pull it off, and I look forward to his interactions as the "I've seen it all" guy in relation to Eddie's character, but he just isn't a home-run in casting to me like McConaughey is.

As for the Detta thing, I forget where I posted it and I'll have to find it, but I had a theory about the strange outline they're using to film the series and why they're doing it out of order and mixing things up. I think they have something planned that will make "The Drawing of the Three" much more impactful. It's gonna bother me until I find it, but I think that's why Detta's not included yet.

Irish YJ

Southsida
Reaction score
Started watching The Kettering Incident (Aussie series on Amazon). Good reviews all around (RT, IMD, etc.), and love it through episode one. Elizabeth Debicki (in the Night Manager) is strong not to mention hot as hell.

IrishLion

I am Beyonce, always.
Staff member
Reaction score
Heard/read some interesting things about the upcoming Dark Tower movies/TV series, and how they are basically gonna be able to make any changes they want to the story because of how the books themselves ended, and also because of some hints to be found in promotional materials.

I had read some quotes from McConaughey that made me concerned about his understanding of Walter/Randall Flagg/The Man in Black, but that lead me to some other rumors that are kind of intriguing.

Very anxious to see what they do with the series.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
Watching Season 3 of "Alone". They're in Patagonia this season. The best of any of the survival shows by far.

Did some binge watching of The Twilight Zone marathon on SyFy over New Years weekend. Never gets old and I always come across one or two I hadn't seen before. An episode I had not seen before had people trapped in a cylinder. Turns out they were dolls. Now we know where Toy Story originated.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
MASH. Still my favorite show of all time.

One of mine as well, but I became less interested as the years went on. Every week was an episode for Mike Farrell to spout his political views instead of concentrating on the comedy aspect. The first few seasons that had Rogers and Stevenson were the best.

IrishLion

I am Beyonce, always.
Staff member
Reaction score
Anybody watch Sherlock?

Season finale was lit, though I wasn't completely satisfied with the resolution.

zelezo vlk

Reaction score
Anybody watch Sherlock?

Season finale was lit, though I wasn't completely satisfied with the resolution.

Don't have BBC, but yes I do watch. Looks like I'll be waiting a few months to watch the new series

K

koonja

Cosmos on Netflix. It's about the Universe. Our universe freaks me out.

woolybug25

#1 Vineyard Vines Fan
Reaction score
Anyone watch The Newsroom?

Halfway through the second season and am amazed how every single episode is riveting.

BleedBlueGold

Reaction score
Just finished "13th" documentary on Netflix. Good stuff. Netflix documentaries are always on point.

BleedBlueGold

Reaction score
Anyone watch The Newsroom?

Halfway through the second season and am amazed how every single episode is riveting.

I struggled to get through season 1. Good show but just didn't hold my attention enough to care whether or not I kept watching.

IrishLion

I am Beyonce, always.
Staff member
Reaction score
Don't have BBC, but yes I do watch. Looks like I'll be waiting a few months to watch the new series

Disregard what I said about not being satisfied with the resolution.

After reading some things and re-watching the last 15 minutes, I understand what they were going for, and it worked really well. I should have paid much more attention and used my thinking cap on my first viewing.

gkIrish

Greek God
Reaction score
Anyone watch "The Young Pope" ?

There were scenes where I was on the edge of my seat but it was soooo unrealistic in basically every way that I am not sure I can get into it. It's basically a standard "crazy dude gets power" show but just set in the Vatican.

zelezo vlk

Reaction score
Anyone watch "The Young Pope" ?

There were scenes where I was on the edge of my seat but it was soooo unrealistic in basically every way that I am not sure I can get into it. It's basically a standard "crazy dude gets power" show but just set in the Vatican.

I didn't even realize that it was out yet. No, because I've heard mostly bad things about it.

woolybug25

#1 Vineyard Vines Fan
Reaction score
I didn't even realize that it was out yet. No, because I've heard mostly bad things about it.

From where? The majority of reviews I look up are glowing. All of the most reputable critics seem to have liked it.

zelezo vlk

Reaction score
From where? The majority of reviews I look up are glowing. All of the most reputable critics seem to have liked it.

People who saw it while I was in Italy (they really disliked Sorrentino though), many people on r/Catholicism (though there are some who enjoy it).

gkIrish

Greek God
Reaction score

It is a very strange show. I'm not Catholic but it's painfully obvious that this show is just a shot at the church by Hollywood. Naturally, critics are going to like something like that.

The very first major scene is a "dream" where the Pope encourages people to have sex with anyone they want, to use contraception, etc. I'm not disagreeing with that underlying belief, but the show is basically taking a shot at the beliefs of Catholics.

The rest of the first episode was basically the Pope making people feel like shit and moving people he trusts into power positions. It's just the same old stuff set in the context of the Vatican.

The visuals were really cool and as I said, some of the scenes were gripping, but overall I will have to see how the next couple of episodes go.

woolybug25

#1 Vineyard Vines Fan
Reaction score
People who saw it while I was in Italy (they really disliked Sorrentino though), many people on r/Catholicism (though there are some who enjoy it).

That's what I assumed. You should be more clear that your opinion was based off a limited group of people that would also be inclined to not like the premise of the show in the first place. Your original comment made it sound like there has been nothing but bad reviews, which is actually the exact opposite story.

It is a very strange show. I'm not Catholic but it's painfully obvious that this show is just a shot at the church by Hollywood. Naturally, critics are going to like something like that.

The very first major scene is a "dream" where the Pope encourages people to have sex with anyone they want, to use contraception, etc. I'm not disagreeing with that underlying belief, but the show is basically taking a shot at the beliefs of Catholics.

The rest of the first episode was basically the Pope making people feel like shit and moving people he trusts into power positions. It's just the same old stuff set in the context of the Vatican.

The visuals were really cool and as I said, some of the scenes were gripping, but overall I will have to see how the next couple of episodes go.

To be fair, that is exactly what they portrayed the show being. A weird show (all the rage nowadays, and hell... I like them) that is based on a completely unrealistic scenario. I think the "shot from Hollywood at Catholicism" comment is a little off base. The Catholic church sets itself up for this type of story. Is Hollywood supposed to completely ignore the largest religious entity? What organization, especially one with that type of intrigue and history, would ever not be depicted in dramatic stories? The Catholic Church sets up in the same manner as a corporate crime thriller or secret society would.

gkIrish

Greek God
Reaction score
That's what I assumed. You should be more clear that your opinion was based off a limited group of people that would also be inclined to not like the premise of the show in the first place. Your original comment made it sound like there has been nothing but bad reviews, which is actually the exact opposite story.

To be fair, that is exactly what they portrayed the show being. A weird show (all the rage nowadays, and hell... I like them) that is based on a completely unrealistic scenario. I think the "shot from Hollywood at Catholicism" comment is a little off base. The Catholic church sets itself up for this type of story. Is Hollywood supposed to completely ignore the largest religious entity? What organization, especially one with that type of intrigue and history, would ever not be depicted in dramatic stories? The Catholic Church sets up in the same manner as a corporate crime thriller or secret society would.

I'm not saying they misrepresented what the show was but I expected it to be more of a gradual movement towards this Pope being corrupt/immoral/atheist. Instead, that's just what he is from the onset which makes the whole thing completely unrealistic IMO. If I find it hard to believe a serious, non sci-fi show is unrealistic, I will lose interest quickly.