'20 KY TE Michael Mayer (Notre Dame Signee)

Some Irish Bloke

Five foot nothin', a hundred and nothin'
Reaction score
no doubt in my mind that he will sit. Unless it was a playoff game, in which I don't see happening.
Strictly hypothetical, because I don't think there's a chance in hell this team makes the playoffs, I guess it's not strictly "impossible." There would have to be a TONNNN of chaos to occur. But top 5 wins over Clemson and USC on the road, with wins over currently ranked UNC (#25 in the coaches poll) and a hypothetically ranked Syracuse if they beat NC St, plus BYU...that's a strong resume.

Only issue is, at 10-2, getting in over a 11-2 conference champion is a non-starter, that's an obviously tie breaker. Doesn't seem plausible at all.

In summary, it's not happening. It would be 1/100, if not longer. With the newly extended playoff, ND would be looking pretty solid.

rtrn2glory

Reaction score
I'll admit I was wrong after the Marshall game to say he should sit the rest of the year and get ready for the draft. But, also, I'd be very surprised to see him play in any bowl game we get into.

Some Irish Bloke

Five foot nothin', a hundred and nothin'
Reaction score
I'll admit I was wrong after the Marshall game to say he should sit the rest of the year and get ready for the draft. But, also, I'd be very surprised to see him play in any bowl game we get into.
Yeah, i don't think he plays in a bowl game. He'll be a solidified top 15 pick by then, if he's not already.

rtrn2glory

Reaction score
As great as he is, I doubt he would go top 15. His test numbers will not be great, and sadly that dictates a lot of GMs decisions.

I agree....for that reason I think he'll drop to early 2nd round cuz they won't want to pay him 1st round money. somebody will be ecstatic to see him fall to them in the second. If the Eagles keep playing well though and get a late first I could see him possibly landing there.

Jiggafini19Deux

Clam Bakes and Shitty Takes
Reaction score
Yeah, i don't think he plays in a bowl game. He'll be a solidified top 15 pick by then, if he's not already.
We cross the bowl game bridge when we get there.

I think he has an excellent chance of going first round, but Top 15 might be a stretch. For as good as he is, someone taking a tight end in the first 15 picks of the NFL Draft would be a significant reach.

19 TE got taken last year and the first one went off the board in Round 2 at pick 55. The next one after him was Round 3 at pick 73.

The kid from Florida went fourth overall the year before and made the Pro Bowl. Maybe by spring the NFL people have Mayer at that level, but the odds of that seem slim, right?

GrangerIrish24

He who waits for it.
Reaction score
I agree....for that reason I think he'll drop to early 2nd round cuz they won't want to pay him 1st round money. somebody will be ecstatic to see him fall to them in the second. If the Eagles keep playing well though and get a late first I could see him possibly landing there.
I think he will go late 1st. Generally the last 10 picks are from already established teams, which makes them more likely to pick someone that will fill that one piece they need. He such an elite route runner, it will be hard to pass on.

stpeteirish

Reaction score
Mayer's a possession receiver in the NFL. They usually don't get picked in the first round. He's a decent blocker but TE's who can block are pretty easy to find.

Mayer's a long term NFL guy no doubt. But not a superstar like he is in college. Most college teams just don't have a guy who can match up with him one on one. Most NFL teams do.

Dale

Reaction score
He’s a first rounder. His slightly lower upside (Pro Bowler, but not Kelce type) is offset by how much of a sure thing he’ll be IMO.

SeekNDestroy

Reaction score
They were good, but not quite at his level IMO. Of course that and $7 will get you a cup of coffee these days.
Mark Bavaro was a badass. He and Brown were better than any ND TE since then not named Mayer and Eifert.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
He’s a first rounder. His slightly lower upside (Pro Bowler, but not Kelce type) is offset by how much of a sure thing he’ll be IMO.
Between all the early entries and the guys that will shoot up the boards after Senior Bowls, workouts, combine, etc. I'll bet he falls into the second round.

Every draft since 2000 there have been maybe 25 tight ends taken in the first round. Pitts is the unicorn as he was the highest TE picked in history and only the second in the top five.

In no way a knock on Mayer, but it's simply the reality of the NFL. TE is not a premium position

CanadalovesND

Reaction score

It wouldn't surprise me if he goes in the second round, or is not the first TE off the board. Erick All, TE for the beloved Wolverines of Michigan, is the number one TE according to some scouts, and he will probably continue to rise in more eyes of the scouting community.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me if he goes in the second round, or is not the first TE off the board. Erick All, TE for the beloved Wolverines of Michigan, is the number one TE according to some scouts, and he will probably continue to rise in more eyes of the scouting community.
Seeing the same. The kid from Clemson is supposed to be pretty good too. I do think the TE run could potentially start in the second round of the 2023 draft rather than 3-4 but it's only October and we're a long way off. I'd love for Mayer to be the first TE off the board regardless of whatever round he gets taken, but at this point, recruiting tight ends to ND isn't going to suffer any image setback if Mayer is the second or even third TE taken off the board. He is going to take home every career record for an ND TE inside of of three years.

Mayer just needs to keep catching passes from Pyne and doing his thing for ND. Where he lands in the draft and when takes care of itself.

Johannes

A Peppermint Nightmare
Reaction score
I wonder if he'll slim down leading up to the combine. Someone else pointed out that he's a bit more stiff with his current playing weight, and you definitely see it when he's going up for a ball compared to last year.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
Mayer is the focal point of the offense right now. Zero question about it.

Improvement at the QB and WR positions are needed via recruiting in order to get the program where it wants to go, which is National Championship. Simple as that.

I don't think anyone would argue "reliance". It needs to be a huge component of what we do because we continually attract great tight ends and we need to play to our strengths. I'm in agreement with you that hopefully all other positions continue to improve so the tight end isn't the focal point but still a major part.
You're both right. Mayar is such a reliance because we've lacked the talent at WR. If we had an elite WR, I think the reliance wouldn't be as great.

Luckylucci

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder if he'll slim down leading up to the combine. Someone else pointed out that he's a bit more stiff with his current playing weight, and you definitely see it when he's going up for a ball compared to last year.

This. He’s an elite talent no doubt about it but I think they needed some guys up in the off-season and that was why we seems a little slow to start the season. I’d bet you see these guys trim down in season. I’d also bet he hits the combine a little more leaned out. But who knows, maybe he’s getting council that the NFL wants that weight up

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
Darn near every player slims down some for the combine in an effort to improve their 40.

I'd like to see an article on Mayar's effect on the rest of the TE's. Are they picking up the same practice habits? Striving to improve their game above the normal progression?

Dale

Reaction score
All is good, his injury seems a bit mysterious though. There is a thought we may not seem him this year for Michigan, don’t know how that would effect his draft stock.

LaPorta at Iowa could test well. He’s basically playing in a pile of mud having to deal with that offense. He’s Mayer’s size I think.

Then you got the, will they ever see the field guys Arik Gilbert and Billingsley. Looking at TE mock rankings.

Last edited:

Veritate Duce Progredi

A man gotta have a code
Reaction score
Mayer is the focal point of the offense right now. Zero question about it.

Improvement at the QB and WR positions are needed via recruiting in order to get the program where it wants to go, which is National Championship. Simple as that.
Lol, agreed. I think that's exactly what I said in the post you quoted and replied to.

yankeehater

Reaction score
I think he will have a long NFL career, but he doesn't have the athleticism of a Kelce or the other elite TE's. I think dropping some weight would help. I would rank him maybe 4th or 5th best TE in college football today. Kincaid, the kid at Utah, who has only been playing football around four years has way more athleticism and plays with the same strength as Mayer.

It does help that the other top TE's in college have better QB's throwing to them.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
What is the purpose of the Mackey Award if you're able to nominate a TE for a WR award?

So stupid. As much as the optics of these individual awards is important to the masses, it's beyond bullshit anymore.

sixstar

Reaction score
Biletnikoff Semifinalists vs. ND:
  • Downs: 5 REC, 32 YDS, 2 TD
  • Flowers: 3 REC, 46 YDS, 0 TD
  • Harrison Jr: 5 REC, 56 YDS, 0 TD
Addison career vs ND:
  • 1 game (2020): 3 REC, 40 YDS, 0 TD

notredomer23

Staph Member
Reaction score
Bowers is good but 417 of his 714 yards and 6 of his 7 touchdowns have come in 3 games- USCe, Kent State, and Florida.

Maybe if ND gave Mayer end arounds against UNLV and BC he would the hype Bowers has.

pumpdog20

Reaction score
Who's mom did Mayer sleep with on these committees? And no, I'm not going to use italics.