Can someone smarter than me explain the advantages of 12 and 13 personnel as it pertains to the running game? Especially since we don’t seem to be passing to the TE’s much? I would love to know the success rate of running out 11 compared to 12 and 13.
Not sure that I'm smarter than you, but I'll oversimplify on how I think ND views these personnel packages. You'd prefer to have great blocking and dynamic pass catching TEs (at least one in 12 or 13 personnel).
But it forces teams to go heavy, and teams are more confident blocking with TEs vs heavy packages, then utilizing WRs in lighter packages. ND tried to have WRs block inline a lot last year, and pretty much no success with that.
12 or 13 personnel can pick up run blitzes and loaded boxes much better than 11 personnel. So take 3rd and short, in 11 personnel teams can easily overload your box forcing you to throw or run into a loaded box. 12 or 13 personnel can handle that much easier. You also can create more gaps easier with TEs. I love Faison's fight, but man, seeing him in the box trying to block DEs/LBs on 3rd and goal from the 2 last year was painful.
But to your point, our TEs haven't shown to be much of a receiving threat (until purdue a bit), so they probably don't respect that too much still and will play the run heavy.
Vs purdue our issues running at times I saw were Williams missing the holes, absher a good bit, craig some, knapp a little, and WRs (Gilbert especially). So a little of everything other than absher a good bit.