NHL Thread

ACamp1900

Counting my ‘bet against ND’ winnings
Messages
49,814
Reaction score
12,257
Larkin reportedly suiting up for the Red Wings tonight after getting booed during player intros opening night. Very interesting saga continues....
I guess Wings fans are just mad at the world... Game one is "Sell the team" chants at ownership, and then Larkin suits up and is booed arena-wide... then he scores, and many fans sit on their hands... honestly, pick a lane, Wings fans, do you want change or not?? Your captain getting equally frustrated and demanding a trade should have you aligned with him, no? I guess it goes back to them just being mad at the world currently... which I get; it's a mess there. However, I was happy to see Larkin do well. Just my two cents.
 

FU BK

Well-known member
Messages
1,989
Reaction score
3,135
I guess Wings fans are just mad at the world... Game one is "Sell the team" chants at ownership, and then Larkin suits up and is booed arena-wide... then he scores, and many fans sit on their hands... honestly, pick a lane, Wings fans, do you want change or not?? Your captain getting equally frustrated and demanding a trade should have you aligned with him, no? I guess it goes back to them just being mad at the world currently... which I get; it's a mess there. However, I was happy to see Larkin do well. Just my two cents.
Im glad im not the only one who has this point of view.
 

Some Irish Bloke

Five foot nothin', a hundred and nothin'
Messages
6,678
Reaction score
6,469
I guess Wings fans are just mad at the world... Game one is "Sell the team" chants at ownership, and then Larkin suits up and is booed arena-wide... then he scores, and many fans sit on their hands... honestly, pick a lane, Wings fans, do you want change or not?? Your captain getting equally frustrated and demanding a trade should have you aligned with him, no? I guess it goes back to them just being mad at the world currently... which I get; it's a mess there. However, I was happy to see Larkin do well. Just my two cents.
Honestly, him coming up with a Gordie Howe hat trick (goal, assist, fight) is a good way to stay the boos. Fans are absolutely livid with ownership (rightfully so) after a 10 year playoff hiatus and staring down a rebuild after a long rebuild. We have an interim GM somehow after reportedly interviewing 100 candidates. Virtually no offseason other than losing Kaner and a couple of other players. We're in contract purgatory with a very good 23 year old defensemen in Edvinsson who should be a no brainer long term extension. It's all embarrassing.

The Larkin thing: you have a hometown kid, born an raised, who was our captain, request a trade in the offseason. Yeah, that's a damning thing for the franchise but also not a good look for him, especially if he's using his no trade clause to pick 3 franchises with no cap space and no futures, and who are unwilling to part with current NHL talent.

Detroit doesn't have to trade him for pennies on the dollar just because he asked to be. He's seemingly been unwilling to work with whatever "front office" we have in place now that Stevie is gone. He's absolutely not a victim in this situation either, but I do give him a ton of credit for the way he faced the hostility and played a great game last night.

All Wings fans are caught in the middle of this. We loved and defended Larkin for years and years. He was supposed to be the centerpiece for the rebuild. Now it feels like quit on us and at the worst time. Then he goes out and plays an electric game and looked 100 pounds lighter without the C. We'll see where it goes. My hot take: He doesn't get moved until the deadline, if at all. We'll see if he's willing to budge and if a team who is close to cup contention thinks he's worth what the Wings are asking.
 

Some Irish Bloke

Five foot nothin', a hundred and nothin'
Messages
6,678
Reaction score
6,469
Im glad im not the only one who has this point of view.
FWIW, I wouldn't have been booing him if I was in the building. Doesn't really sit well with me to boo a buy suiting up in the sweater you cheer for, you know?

I was at the Purdue game in 2012 when Tommy replace Golsen for the game winning drive. Lots of boos showered down on TR...that was not a good look IMO.
 

ACamp1900

Counting my ‘bet against ND’ winnings
Messages
49,814
Reaction score
12,257
I get getting angry, totally understood the chants,… but then booing the player insisting on change came off as hypocritical imo,… you can’t really have both unless you’re just emotional and mad at the world. If I’m a Wings fan I’m cheering him, he’s asking for what yall need,… kind of like when Myles asked for a trade,… couldn’t blame him.
 
Last edited:

ACamp1900

Counting my ‘bet against ND’ winnings
Messages
49,814
Reaction score
12,257
Just traded Hallander to the Oilers. I was hoping for a breakout out season there,…
 
Top