Carolina Postgame

Bane

Well-known member
Messages
2,602
Reaction score
5,358
I may be in the minority here. But I don’t think Williams had a bad game. I feel he actually had decent vision today.

Now, the younger guys showed out now doubt. They were great. But I don’t think Williams was bad.
I don’t think he had a bad game per se, but I think his limitations were obvious. I have a buddy who doesn’t watch a lot of ND but watched the second half today and he commented on how different it felt when the other two were in vs Williams.
 

allenm5333

Well-known member
Messages
3,953
Reaction score
3,840
I don’t think he had a bad game per se, but I think his limitations were obvious. I have a buddy who doesn’t watch a lot of ND but watched the second half today and he commented on how different it felt when the other two were in vs Williams.
Walton can turn the corner and make nothing into something. James is steady. With Williams, everything just looks like a struggle
 

IrishBoognish

Well-known member
Messages
2,501
Reaction score
3,832
1. Jonaz Walton should be RB1
2. OL played great today and didn’t give up and pressure or a sack
3. Defensive pressure sucked. That ain’t gonna cut it against Miami. Need to do more movement on the DL and get pressure even if it means bringing multiple people into blitz
4. Shuler was rough today
5. Special teams a big F


"Defensive pressure sucked"

Are you fucking blind? That man almost died
 

IrishBoognish

Well-known member
Messages
2,501
Reaction score
3,832
I may be in the minority here. But I don’t think Williams had a bad game. I feel he actually had decent vision today.

Now, the younger guys showed out now doubt. They were great. But I don’t think Williams was bad.


Sorry for the triple post, but outside of two nice runs... he kinda sucked

It was so transparently clear who the 1 and 2 are

He can come in to spell or on 3rd down pass pro sometimes... otherwise no thanks
 

irishff1014

Well-known member
Messages
26,832
Reaction score
9,617
I may be in the minority here. But I don’t think Williams had a bad game. I feel he actually had decent vision today.

Now, the younger guys showed out now doubt. They were great. But I don’t think Williams was bad.

Think he going to get passed up because Walton and James are just better than he is. Neither of them have the vision that we had.
 

Bane

Well-known member
Messages
2,602
Reaction score
5,358
Walton can turn the corner and make nothing into something. James is steady. With Williams, everything just looks like a struggle
It's frustrating how big Williams looks and how easily he goes down. Son, if you're gonna be a big body you better run with power. Lord knows he doesn't have high end speed. I like Williams, and I was patient, but 5 games in a pecking order is emerging. He has a role on the team, but it should be less and less.
 

irishrb

Active member
Messages
863
Reaction score
233
Think williams bulked up too much in the offseason
He looks like he should be an absolute bruiser, but the guy goes down at the slightest touch. No leg drive, no pad-level push, no leverage, no center of gravity. Just BOOM....down.
 

NDohio

Well-known member
Messages
5,940
Reaction score
3,216
Don’t know if the TV showed how open N James Jr was on the fourth and goal play. If CJ sees him he walks in.

Shuler had a lot of confusion pre snap today. He just seemed a little off.

Walton was a stud. You could feel it in the stadium - their fans were very anxious when he was in the game.

Luke Talich is absolutely amazing. He balled out today.

Loved watching the OLine take over in the second half. The UNC defense had no answer for the ND run game. It was a thing of beauty.

The UNC fans are ready for the belichick experience to end.
 

greyhammer90

the drunk piano player
Messages
17,793
Reaction score
18,715
Don’t know if the TV showed how open N James Jr was on the fourth and goal play. If CJ sees him he walks in.

Shuler had a lot of confusion pre snap today. He just seemed a little off.

Walton was a stud. You could feel it in the stadium - their fans were very anxious when he was in the game.

Luke Talich is absolutely amazing. He balled out today.

Loved watching the OLine take over in the second half. The UNC defense had no answer for the ND run game. It was a thing of beauty.

The UNC fans are ready for the belichick experience to end.

Glad you had a good time man. I've heard good things about the campus.
 

mrwayne

Member
Messages
33
Reaction score
49
I’ve seen too many of these games turn into a loss or squeaked out win by ND. I’ve seen many a championship level team struggle in these games. Today we played that stinker, and there was still cushion for even another fluke play or bad call from a referee.

Aside from the W, single most important thing to come out of this game is a running attack that is good enough to keep opposing defenses from just going all in on stopping the CJ Carr passing game. We won’t know how truly good the offense is until the end of the season, but I think we found there’s gonna be enough balance to be championship level.
 

IrishLax

Something Witty
Staff member
Messages
38,115
Reaction score
30,888
I may be in the minority here. But I don’t think Williams had a bad game. I feel he actually had decent vision today.

Now, the younger guys showed out now doubt. They were great. But I don’t think Williams was bad.
After two successful drives with Walton/James to open the second half, he totally botched the next one. The 3rd down play where he doesn't follow the blocks and instead cuts back into the one guy that is unblocked is emblematic of all of his problems this year. Shows that he doesn't know what he is doing in addition to the physical limitations.
 

pumpdog20

Well-known member
Messages
5,226
Reaction score
3,885
Off day

-UNC wanted a fight and ND wasn't really ready for it today. Lots of trash talk, physicality through the whistle. Just seemed like ND thought they would roll over. Hard to take everyone seriously.

-Without looking, seemed like we had more penalties today than the other 4 games combined

-Makes me sad, but Williams ain't it. If I were to guess, he got too big anticipating a heavy workload. Unfortunately, his game isn't power apparently. I know everyone wants Walton as RB1, but I think James will be RB1 going forward with Walton as RB2.


All that said, with the running game improving, we will be peaking by Miami
 
Top