2023 QB Cycle Cloudy Board

Free Manera

Reaction score
We're putting the cart way before the horse here since we don't even know if he's getting an offer but: He's skinny now but has a frame that could probably bulk up a bit. He would probably have the best physical traits of any ND QB since Kizer.

mango4

Reaction score
So the handicap would be you’d hopefully be getting a multi sport athlete underrecruited due to location.
Right, he doesn't do the camp circuit because of baseball, otherwise I think he would have some bigger offers. And football in South Dakota is, uhhh, not great.
We're putting the cart way before the horse here since we don't even know if he's getting an offer but: He's skinny now but has a frame that could probably bulk up a bit. He would probably have the best physical traits of any ND QB since Kizer.
Even if we do offer, I don't know if we could get him from Washington. From the sounds of it, he connected really well with DeBoer, who's also from South Dakota.

Irish du Nord

Reaction score
Better than Wimbush, Jurkovec, or Buchner??? Those guys all had insane physical upside as High school players

317Irish

Grits are a$$
Reaction score
We need a thread for all of us like-minded individuals that believe the following:
-Rees is under qualified and needs to hurry up and move on to the NFL;
-none of our commits will end up signing in December or February because we lost our first two games;
-it’s very clear that MF has had more than enough of an opportunity and needs to be fired yesterday;
-and most importantly, no matter how much we LOVE ND, it deserves to go 1-11 based on our inability to do anything right

Mods, I do realize that as of the last few months this now exists in every thread, but could we possibly get one dedicated thread for all of my fellow realistic, not pessimistic, ND super-fans…???

ab2cmiller

Troublemaker in training
Reaction score
We need a thread for all of us like-minded individuals that believe the following:
-Rees is under qualified and needs to hurry up and move on to the NFL;
-none of our commits will end up signing in December or February because we lost our first two games;
-it’s very clear that MF has had more than enough of an opportunity and needs to be fired yesterday;
-and most importantly, no matter how much we LOVE ND, it deserves to go 1-11 based on our inability to do anything right

Mods, I do realize that as of the last few months this now exists in every thread, but could we possibly get one dedicated thread for all of my fellow realistic, not pessimistic, ND super-fans…???
I can only assume that we picked up a lot of new members that came from NDNation over the past 4 months.

Free Manera

Reaction score
Better than Wimbush, Jurkovec, or Buchner??? Those guys all had insane physical upside as High school players
Yeah agree with that, I was more talking in terms of stature. Kizer had an NFL body and this kid could grow into an NFL body as well. We haven't had a QB over like 6'1 since Kizer I believe. Obviously shorter guys can make it in the NFL if they are Kyler Murray or someone like that. But it certainly helps to have some height. Especially at ND where the linemen are all like 6'6.

Irishdrunk

Smartest Guy in the Room
Reaction score
-Brian Kelly held us back from winning Nattys;
-Rees is an offensive genius and Brian Kelly held the offense back. Thank god he didn't go to the NFL;
-Tyler Buchner is not injury prone and is really a 5 star QB and MF and TR will not get caught with our pants down with a bad QB room. If they needed an extra QB they would have gotten one. Kelly was too in love with QB Transfers, anyways. We must ignore Pete Sampson's analysis;
-Harry Hiestand walks on water and the OLine will be 10X better this year;
-ND doesn't need to do NIL for 5 star recruits. Any 5 star recruit that could pick an SEC school + $250,000 or pick going to ND will still see the value of an ND degree and say no thank you to $250,000.
-We are good with Swarbrick hiring the OC as a precondition to the HC hire. Freeman doesn't want to be involved in the offense, anyways.
-and most importantly, no matter how much we LOVE ND, We are a Top 5 program under Kelly so we should be a Top 3 now.

Whiskeyjack

Mittens Margaritas Ante Porcos
Staff member
Reaction score
-Brian Kelly held us back from winning Nattys;
We wouldn't have been in a position to compete without him, but he was undoubtedly a lazy recruiter who hit a clear ceiling at ND.
-Rees is an offensive genius and Brian Kelly held the offense back. Thank god he didn't go to the NFL;
Literally no one is arguing this.
-Tyler Buchner is not injury prone and is really a 5 star QB and MF and TR will not get caught with our pants down with a bad QB room. If they needed an extra QB they would have gotten one. Kelly was too in love with QB Transfers, anyways. We must ignore Pete Sampson's analysis;
See above.
-Harry Hiestand walks on water and the OLine will be 10X better this year;
If you know of a better OL coach we could have gotten, do share.
-ND doesn't need to do NIL for 5 star recruits. Any 5 star recruit that could pick an SEC school + $250,000 or pick going to ND will still see the value of an ND degree and say no thank you to $250,000.
No one argues this.
-We are good with Swarbrick hiring the OC as a precondition to the HC hire. Freeman doesn't want to be involved in the offense, anyways.
See above.
-and most importantly, no matter how much we LOVE ND, We are a Top 5 program under Kelly so we should be a Top 3 now.
This makes absolutely no sense. We didn't finish in the top 5 once during Kelly's tenure.

It's telling that you have to invent a bunch of f*cking strawmen to justify the emotionally-driven garbage you post here day after day. You're not a clear-eyed realist standing up to Pollyannas here. You're just an asshole.

Irish du Nord

Reaction score
Yeah agree with that, I was more talking in terms of stature. Kizer had an NFL body and this kid could grow into an NFL body as well. We haven't had a QB over like 6'1 since Kizer I believe. Obviously shorter guys can make it in the NFL if they are Kyler Murray or someone like that. But it certainly helps to have some height. Especially at ND where the linemen are all like 6'6.
Jurkovec was 6'5", Angeli is 6'3", Wimbush and Brendon Clark were 6'2", RPIII is 6'3". I could see you disputing Wimbush and Clark, but Angeli and Jurkovec are clearly taller than 6'1.

Irishdrunk

Smartest Guy in the Room
Reaction score
Whiskey Jack:

Posters here and on other boards and analysts (so-called "Publishers") were in fact arguing that Rees was an advance offensive mind and that Kelly was holding him back.

Also, people have been debating here about the impact on NIL in terms of recruiting. And some posters (if not many) were okay with Rees being retained first by the AD instead of a full search for the HC first.

We were #5 when Kelly left (prior to the Fiesta Bowl) and we were #5 in Pre Season polls. Those are all facts. So I don't see these as so-called straw man arguments.

I don't think there are pollyannas here. Its a thoughtful exchange. I care about ND and to fall out of the Top 25 is not something that I am good with. I am not an asshole and I don't believe in ad hominem attacks - which are usually emotionally driven.

Whiskeyjack

Mittens Margaritas Ante Porcos
Staff member
Reaction score
Posters here and on other boards and analysts (so-called "Publishers") were in fact arguing that Rees was an advance offensive mind and that Kelly was holding him back.
Who is arguing this now? No one.
Also, people have been debating here about the impact on NIL in terms of recruiting. And some posters (if not many) were okay with Rees being retained first by the AD instead of a full search for the HC first.
The oddity of Swarbrick securing Rees before Freeman didn't even become a topic until after the Marshall loss. At the time, virtually everyone was on board with whatever was necessary in order to keep the recruiting class together and bet on continuity. If you were the voice in the desert at the time predicting disaster, I'd love to see a links to those posts. You don't get any credit for beating that drum now at 1-2 though.
We were #5 when Kelly left (prior to the Fiesta Bowl) and we were #5 in Pre Season polls. Those are all facts. So I don't see these as so-called straw man arguments.
"We were #5 when Kelly left, so we should be #3 now." No one is saying that? The hype surrounding Freeman likely caused a lot of unreasonable optimism about our odds to avoiding coaching dysfunction after Kelly's abrupt departure, but no one seriously predicted that Freeman would bring us back to the playoff in his first year as a head coach. So what's your point?
I don't think there are pollyannas here. Its a thoughtful exchange. I care about ND and to fall out of the Top 25 is not something that I am good with. I am not an asshole and I don't believe in ad hominem attacks - which are usually emotionally driven.
You post this anti-Rees and anti-Swarbrick stuff in every thread. There's no special insight behind it, no data to substantiate it. Just your emotional outbursts consistently derailing the discourse across the board. It's extremely annoying. IE isn't a support group for fans who project their own insecurities onto the team.

Have some respect for the rest of us and do better. We don't owe you anything, yet you seem to take it personally that most here don't share your blind pessimism about the program.

Sea Turtle

Usually right, occasionally wrong.
Reaction score
Rees is fine as a play caller and a white board wizard.

He just sucks at building an offense. From scouting and recruiting all the way up.

Irishdrunk

Smartest Guy in the Room
Reaction score
Who is arguing this now? No one.

The oddity of Swarbrick securing Rees before Freeman didn't even become a topic until after the Marshall loss. At the time, virtually everyone was on board with whatever was necessary in order to keep the recruiting class together and bet on continuity. If you were the voice in the desert at the time predicting disaster, I'd love to see a links to those posts. You don't get any credit for beating that drum now at 1-2 though.

"We were #5 when Kelly left, so we should be #3 now." No one is saying that? The hype surrounding Freeman likely caused a lot of unreasonable optimism about our odds to avoiding coaching dysfunction after Kelly's abrupt departure, but no one seriously predicted that Freeman would bring us back to the playoff in his first year as a head coach. So what's your point?

You post this anti-Rees and anti-Swarbrick stuff in every thread. There's no special insight behind it, no data to substantiate it. Just your emotional outbursts consistently derailing the discourse across the board. It's extremely annoying. IE isn't a support group for fans who project their own insecurities onto the team.

Have some respect for the rest of us and do better. We don't owe you anything, yet you seem to take it personally that most here don't share your blind pessimism about the program.
Yes there were posters that argued keeping Freeman to keep the class but I didn't see the need for Rees. Most of the key commits were on the defensive side of the ball. Yes no one is arguing over Rees being a great offensive mind now - but they were. But there were some that had us in the playoffs including external analysts at IB- with just an assumption of one loss at OSU. The QB room, WR Room were both thin - no break-out Offensive Playmakers other than the hope of Tyree. New head coach who is young and young OC. These were critical risks that in the hoopla were roundly looked over.

There was a general downplaying of MF's inexperience as a HC. This was a risk and to pair him with young Rees on the offensive side of the ball was very obvious. There was discussions about this well before the season - much of which was roundly dismissed because of the love of MF at the time. I know I posted my concern about this well before the season. I think MF is a great guy too but there were risks. In terms of data - there is no data. Freeman is a charismatic guy and seems to have recruited well on the defensive side of the ball. I do not believe data supports that his defense was any better than Clark Lea's defense in 2020. He was elevated very quickly.

I do respect people on this board. I have never denigrated someone by calling them an "Asshole" - talk about needing to "Do better". (Sounds Driskellish... LOL). (Alright I did call Ukalitene "Mrs Rees")...LOL. I apologize for that.

Lets hope we win tomorrow. Go Irish!

Irishdrunk

Smartest Guy in the Room
Reaction score
Wouldn't TB being hurt, Pyne being okay but not elite and Carr being out in 2024 be an opening for a QB to make a commitment or flip to ND.

I kind of thought what turned kids away was the view the TB was the ND QB for the next 2-3 years solid. It seems very clear that he was pretty ineffective as QB and he got hurt. So being a possible starter as a Freshman (which is what all HSers probably really want) is a distinct possibility.

Although I bet it will most likely be a transfer.

317Irish

Grits are a$$
Reaction score
Wouldn't TB being hurt, Pyne being okay but not elite and Carr being out in 2024 be an opening for a QB to make a commitment or flip to ND.

I kind of thought what turned kids away was the view the TB was the ND QB for the next 2-3 years solid. It seems very clear that he was pretty ineffective as QB and he got hurt. So being a possible starter as a Freshman (which is what all HSers probably really want) is a distinct possibility.

Did you catch our big win this weekend?

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score

How many true freshmen are starting for Top 25 caliber programs this year? It's a very tall order, and probably leads to disappointment in a season when we should have good talent on both sides of the ball. Also half of the best of them are no chance of coming here, b/c NIL.

A transfer is probably the way in '23. Or Buchner. Personally I wouldn't give up on him yet, though also I don't think he's going to scare off a younger QB who thinks he's the shit.

Dale

Reaction score

Calls him the most likely QB commit as of today….

……and then says he’d be shocked if he stepped foot on a college campus

IRISHDODGER

Blue Chip Recruit
Reaction score

ColinKSU

I'm Colin NOT from Kansas
Reaction score

SoIll

Licensed to Ill
Reaction score
Shit is fucking hilarious. That said, Film is nice. Dude rips it. Lack of offers seems to indicate people aren't bothering because he's going to be a first rounder.