2022 Fall Camp Thread

IrishLax

Something Witty
Staff member
Reaction score
Marist is an absolute lock to start, as long as he's healthy.

Biggest question mark is whether Clarence Lewis can hold onto his job and who gets the second safety spot. We (allegedly) have 5 underclass corners who all have better upside than Lewis but lack the experience. So do you go with Lewis week 1 and be prepared to move on after that? I think yes. I don't think you want a true frosh out there against Ohio State.

PutuporShutup

Reaction score
Marist is an absolute lock to start, as long as he's healthy.

Biggest question mark is whether Clarence Lewis can hold onto his job and who gets the second safety spot. We (allegedly) have 5 underclass corners who all have better upside than Lewis but lack the experience. So do you go with Lewis week 1 and be prepared to move on after that? I think yes. I don't think you want a true frosh out there against Ohio State.
The second corner for Ohio state is a tough decision… you summed up the the thoughts

I think you split reps first quarter and see what the right move for remainder of game is after that…. Unless someone pulls a bracy vs UNC in 2020, then you make a move quickly … or if someone is that much better than Lewis you role with it

irishandy

Reaction score
After watching the offense video of the RB/WR- Tyree looks like he's ready to take the step as a starter (until Diggs comes back) and Estime looks like he is ready to run someone over.

du Lac

CEO of IE
Reaction score
After watching the offense video of the RB/WR- Tyree looks like he's ready to take the step as a starter (until Diggs comes back) and Estime looks like he is ready to run someone over.
As awesome as Kyren was, I have always felt like Tyree didn't play enough. I would've liked to have seen him get more touches than he did. It seemed like whenever he was on the field good things happened, but Kyren was too good to make him the featured back. Still, I would've liked to have seen him on the field in a co role with Kyren more than he was. I think he's going to do big things.

PutuporShutup

Reaction score
As awesome as Kyren was, I have always felt like Tyree didn't play enough. I would've liked to have seen him get more touches than he did. It seemed like whenever he was on the field good things happened, but Kyren was too good to make him the featured back. Still, I would've liked to have seen him on the field in a co role with Kyren more than he was. I think he's going to do big things.
Would love to know why they didn’t go with tyree more in second half vs ok state … there was a play where diggs got tripped up, If tyree; it would have been td

du Lac

CEO of IE
Reaction score
Would love to know why they didn’t go with tyree more in second half vs ok state … there was a play where diggs got tripped up, If tyree; it would have been td
We scored 0 points in the second half until there was 1 minute left in the game. I was pulling my hair out begging the TV to put in Tyler Buchner. Everyone's defense was that Coan had a tremendous first half. Well, he didn't have a tremendous second.

irishandy

Reaction score
I agree, Tyree has been plan B since he's been here and he accepted his backup role. I think he is ready to be a starter. Our RB's will have a great line in front of them.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
There's a lot of outstanding questions about offensive usage/playcalling against OSU. Let's hope they're resolved by the next time we play OSU.

du Lac

CEO of IE
Reaction score
There's a lot of outstanding questions about offensive usage/playcalling against OSU. Let's hope they're resolved by the next time we play OSU.
Best first half we played all season. Worst second half we played all season. I think Al Golden is the X factor this season. Rees is just young.

My biggest gripe all season was the loose defense we played when we got up on teams. It absolutely killed us in that game. It is literally the dumbest strategy in all of college football. If I see that this year, I am going to take a bottle of sleeping pills.

PutuporShutup

Reaction score
Best first half we played all season. Worst second half we played all season. I think Al Golden is the X factor this season. Rees is just young.

My biggest gripe all season was the loose defense we played when we got up on teams. It absolutely killed us in that game. It is literally the dumbest strategy in all of college football. If I see that this year, I am going to take a bottle of sleeping pills.
We’ll know real fast whose D this really is…. If foskey is lined up as an OLB 7 yds behind LOS, it’s still freeman’s D

T-Boone

Reaction score
That is what made him a poor choice in my opinion. He was a project at a time when if we got the best we might have won a championship.

du Lac

CEO of IE
Reaction score
We’ll know real fast whose D this really is…. If foskey is lined up as an OLB 7 yds behind LOS, it’s still freeman’s D
No way Freeman is micromanaging Al Golden. Freeman is one of the humblest dudes out there. I would be shocked if he isn't letting Golden take full control. I think that's why he brought in an older experienced guy. Freeman is now doing what he loves... Recruiting, talking to media, building culture, spending time with kids... making Hangover videos.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score

I will say, my first impression of Marcus Freeman as a playcaller was watching the last few minutes of the Cincy-Georgia Peach Bowl (I think?) in 2020. Cincy was up but Georgia had the ball last. Three man rush and loose corners, and Georgia picked them apart to get into field goal range and win the game. Never three-man-rush when it matters.

du Lac

CEO of IE
Reaction score
I will say, my first impression of Marcus Freeman as a playcaller was watching the last few minutes of the Cincy-Georgia Peach Bowl (I think?) in 2020. Cincy was up but Georgia had the ball last. Three man rush and loose corners, and Georgia picked them apart to get into field goal range and win the game. Never three-man-rush when it matters.
Amen. We saw that prevent all season. I absolutely despise it. Only time I like it is if we're up by 35 and there's 5 minutes left.

PutuporShutup

Reaction score
No way Freeman is micromanaging Al Golden. Freeman is one of the humblest dudes out there. I would be shocked if he isn't letting Golden take full control. I think that's why he brought in an older experienced guy. Freeman is now doing what he loves... Recruiting, talking to media, building culture, spending time with kids... making Hangover videos.
I agree and think we’ll see a different D

FightingIrishLover7

All troll, no substance
Reaction score
We scored 0 points in the second half until there was 1 minute left in the game. I was pulling my hair out begging the TV to put in Tyler Buchner. Everyone's defense was that Coan had a tremendous first half. Well, he didn't have a tremendous second.
A friendly reminder that Coan wasn't the issue in the 2nd half.
He had balls dropped. WRs couldn't get off the press coverage. Oline choked. Zero run game and OSUs adjustments just shut down the only thing ND had at that time.

That 2nd half (offensively)was more on Rees Quinn and Alexander than Coan.

du Lac

CEO of IE
Reaction score
A friendly reminder that Coan wasn't the issue in the 2nd half.
He had balls dropped. WRs couldn't get off the press coverage. Oline choked. Zero run game and OSUs adjustments just shut down the only thing ND had at that time.

That 2nd half (offensively)was more on Rees Quinn and Alexander than Coan.
Friendly reminder that I watched the game. Rees could have inserted Buchner to move the ball.

FightingIrishLover7

All troll, no substance
Reaction score
Friendly reminder that I watched the game. Rees could have inserted Buchner to move the ball.
Or Buchner could have thrown two picks, again.
I'll agree that a change of pace at QB could have done the trick, possibly.

But, at least you just admitted it was Rees' fault for not making the tough call. Not Coan's fault, dirtheing my own point :)

Jimmy3Putt

KooL
Reaction score
They were in tight man all second half. A mobil quarterback would've gashed them with their backs to him.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score

But, at least you just admitted it was Rees' fault for not making the tough call. Not Coan's fault, dirtheing my own point :)
Not Coan's fault at all. He is/was what he is/was. But - hindsight being 20/20 - we sure could have used a change of pace in the third quarter of that game, or at least a running QB to grind out a few first downs and chew some clock and buy the D a little time to regroup. It was a mistake not to put Buchner in there for a series or two. Rees's mistake primarily.

du Lac

CEO of IE
Reaction score

We probably agree. 🤗

Last edited:

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
Nobody would be assuming it, more hoping it. Kollie got talk on here like he was a 5 star when recruited so it would be disappointing if he wasn’t better than last years will play by this year.
Can’t hold that against him.

Te'o4Heisman

Reaction score
Coan did not play poorly in the 2nd half. Tyree had a brutal drop. Diggs fumbled while ND was on the move in OSU territory, Mayer had a catch on a beautiful throw that came out when he hit the ground. Mayer had another on a perfect throw where he lost his footing and the throw hit him in the chest as we he was falling down. The run game was non-existent. Austin had brutal effort on a hitch route with his route running or it was another easy first down. The failure to score points was mostly not on Coan minus the one interception. I dont know how you justify pulling him. Its naive to think that tight man coverage doesnt go away immediately when TB enters the game and that they would continue to play him the way they were playing Coan leaving him able to gash them on the ground.

I do think everybody is really concerned about WR depth, but TR did a great job using our backs in the passing game in the fiesta bowl to scheme them open and create mismatches. I could see them using tyree and diggs in a lot of the ways ND used Armando Allen just with better overall line play.

PutuporShutup

Reaction score
Coan did not play poorly in the 2nd half. Tyree had a brutal drop. Diggs fumbled while ND was on the move in OSU territory, Mayer had a catch on a beautiful throw that came out when he hit the ground. Mayer had another on a perfect throw where he lost his footing and the throw hit him in the chest as we he was falling down. The run game was non-existent. Austin had brutal effort on a hitch route with his route running or it was another easy first down. The failure to score points was mostly not on Coan minus the one interception. I dont know how you justify pulling him. Its naive to think that tight man coverage doesnt go away immediately when TB enters the game and that they would continue to play him the way they were playing Coan leaving him able to gash them on the ground.

I do think everybody is really concerned about WR depth, but TR did a great job using our backs in the passing game in the fiesta bowl to scheme them open and create mismatches. I could see them using tyree and diggs in a lot of the ways ND used Armando Allen just with better overall line play.
We needed a spark… wrs and Mayer were gassed … Buchner could have provided that

Irish4life

Reaction score
How do we feel about adding a FB to the field more often in the redzone?

du Lac

CEO of IE
Reaction score

Nobody stopped Buchner on the ground all season.

StPaul_Irish

Resident Smart Ass
Reaction score
How do we feel about adding a FB to the field more often in the redzone?

Is an H-back now. ND did it a ton with Brock W, and I think Tommy T. Can't remember who filled that role last year.

I've always wanted to suit up a 4th string or walk on OL/DL in a eligible number and have them be a FB bulldozer on occasion.