2026 Watch Party: Week 4

ShamrockOnHelmet

Refreshman
Messages
2,856
Reaction score
1,868
Wouldn't they rather rig for the team that was supposed to win?
I’m not arguing with you. It’s a genuine question, I’m not sure how rigging for IU helps anyone,

In the big picture, I would think the big ten would much prefer their biggest market team be good. But maybe not,
 

sfk324

Well-known member
Messages
1,887
Reaction score
2,508
I’m not arguing with you. It’s a genuine question, I’m not sure how rigging for IU helps anyone,

In the big picture, I would think the big ten would much prefer their biggest market team be good. But maybe not,
Nobody besides NU people cares about NU. I would wager there are more IU fans in Chicago than NU fans.
 

slick7410

Well-known member
Messages
651
Reaction score
921
I’m not arguing with you. It’s a genuine question, I’m not sure how rigging for IU helps anyone,

In the big picture, I would think the big ten would much prefer their biggest market team be good. But maybe not,
Northwestern, Rutgers, and USC ;) would love it to operate this way.

Playoff contender benefits only, the games will still be on tv in Chicago.
 

tirishman505

Well-known member
Messages
312
Reaction score
492
Nobody besides NU people cares about NU. I would wager there are more IU fans in Chicago than NU fans.
And ESPN stopped caring about TV markets once the cord cutting movement hit its peak. It’s now about how many eyeballs actually watch.
 

ShamrockOnHelmet

Refreshman
Messages
2,856
Reaction score
1,868
Nobody besides NU people cares about NU. I would wager there are more IU fans in Chicago than NU fans.
Ok, but would argue even LESS people were IU football fans before Cignetti showed up.

Say you are the big ten commissioner. You got Michigan and Ohio state as your top two programs. You have a meeting with your lieutenants and say “guys, we really need to start rigging games to get a third top flight program. Doesn’t matter how many fans they have, we just need a third natty winner. Who do we choose?”.

Two years ago, I am POSITIVE that discussion centers on media market, not number of fans.
 

sfk324

Well-known member
Messages
1,887
Reaction score
2,508
Ok, but would argue even LESS people were IU football fans before Cignetti showed up.

Say you are the big ten commissioner. You got Michigan and Ohio state as your top two programs. You have a meeting with your lieutenants and say “guys, we really need to start rigging games to get a third top flight program. Doesn’t matter how many fans they have, we just need a third natty winner. Who do we choose?”.

Two years ago, I am POSITIVE that discussion centers on media market, not number of fans.
Then they would rig games for UIUC since that gives the media market and the fans.
 

Crazy Balki

Site Assigned Optimist
Messages
8,203
Reaction score
4,799
Yeah, IU is not very good.

NW is solid, but solid isn't close to national championship caliber.
 

sfk324

Well-known member
Messages
1,887
Reaction score
2,508
Can't wait for the pretzel-twisting from the online sports people as they explain how great NU is and IU should get credit for beating a tough opponent at home, but MSU and Wisconsin should just start filling out FBI applications because of how much they blow goats so ND shouldn't even be ranked.
 

Irishnuke

CFB Message Board Guy
Messages
8,345
Reaction score
4,190
IU didn't look good but I wouldn't write them off because they struggled at home against a lesser opponent early in the season.
 

Silentkaw

Well-known member
Messages
106
Reaction score
255
Also kinda sucks for Burnham that he transferred to IU just to have the same rotational player role he had at ND. At least he’s getting paid.
 

NDPhilly

Philly Torqued
Messages
17,460
Reaction score
19,428
A Hoover-type is what you get if you aren’t bidding $5M+ for a top tier transfer FYI. I imagine we’ll go big game hunting for a rental (as with Hartman and Leonard) but you’re going to have to really feel like you’re getting a sure thing to pay another $3M-$4M for someone of Leavitt, Mensah, or Sorsby’s caliber.
 

tirishman505

Well-known member
Messages
312
Reaction score
492
Their problem is that Hoover isn’t close to as good as Mendoza. I don’t even think he’s as good as Rourke in 2024.
He seems Rourke-like to me at this point. I’m much more surprised about how poorly IU’s D performed. I thought unit would be stronger this year.
 

Dale

Well-known member
Messages
19,342
Reaction score
33,916
A Hoover-type is what you get if you aren’t bidding $5M+ for a top tier transfer FYI. I imagine we’ll go big game hunting for a rental (as with Hartman and Leonard) but you’re going to have to really feel like you’re getting a sure thing to pay another $3M-$4M for someone of Leavitt, Mensah, or Sorsby’s caliber.

Leavitt and Sorsby are both kinda ass. Mensah and Hoover don’t suck but are physically limited
 

NDPhilly

Philly Torqued
Messages
17,460
Reaction score
19,428
Leavitt and Sorsby are both kinda ass. Mensah and Hoover don’t suck but are physically limited

I don’t disagree, it just seems those 3 were at the top of the transferring portal pecking order as they all got $5M-$6M. Looks like Hoover actually got $4M so maybe they didn’t save as much as I thought.
 

MeanGreenBeans

Well-known member
Messages
1,201
Reaction score
1,088
Chickens are coming home to roost for Cignetti. Please let them make the CFP somehow so we can cremate that whole ponzi scheme program. They're going down hard and soon. Can't hack practice film forever.
 
Top