Tennessee

R

Rip Rap

While Ohio State is getting ready to implode, so too is Tennessee looking less-then-fresh. I saw this cited on another board:

"Apparently a story is coming out later today concerning Tennessee head football coach Phillip Fulmer. The story is supposed to come out in Monday mornings Miami Herald and the next issue of Sports Illustrated. Early reports contain information pertaining to the "purchasing" of recruits through a third party at Fulmer's request. If the allegations are true, then this could seriously hurt the Tennessee football program long term. Rumors are circulating about Fulmer's termination in light of this investigation. As soon as I know more, I will update this story as the information comes in."

http://www.sectalk.com/

R

Rip Rap

Right after that I saw this posted:

A lawsuit brought by a former University of Tennessee football player against head coach Phillip Fulmer that was tossed by an Alabama judge has been refiled in Knoxville.

The suit was filed by attorneys for Kenny Smith and his family on Thursday in Chancery Court for Knox County, Tenn., and named Fulmer and the NCAA as defendants. It seeks $60 million in damages from each defendant for libel, slander and defamation, intentional infliction of emotional distress and invasion of privacy.

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/110528373912550.xml

irishgo8

Reaction score
Oh boy...maybe next year we will be able to beat tenn. if this is true - if it is true i change by vote on the poll from 8-3 to 9-2 easily and a possible 10-1 11-0 season

R

Rip Rap

irishgo8 said:
Oh boy...maybe next year we will be able to beat tenn. if this is true - if it is true i change by vote on the poll from 8-3 to 9-2 easily and a possible 10-1 11-0 season

Why? Do you think Fulmer will be gone? Why does the Tennessee game suddenly become 'easy?' They will have the same players and I suspect they will have the same coach. If-in the bizzare chance-Fulmer is fired, they will not have time to hire a new Head Coach now and somebody on the current staff will likely act as an interim for the season. If so, they will have everbody else on the staff except Fulmer, and the system will be the same.

But since when does an SEC coach get in trouble for anything? More likely, if they receive any punishment it will be probabtion and reduced scholarships, the standard NCAA weanie response. So Fulmer had a hand in Alabama's troubles, and now it may bite him in the ass.

Further, we beat Tennessee this year. Hell, we nearly beat them Davie's last year. Tennessee is not bullet-proof, regardless the coach. And you think we'll go 11-0 all of sudden? Because of this?

R

Rip Rap

Uh-oh. If they do end up going after a new coach, I hope they're not eyeing Cutcliffe.

Eeesh.

irishgo8

Reaction score
Rip Rap said:
Uh-oh. If they do end up going after a new coach, I hope they're not eyeing Cutcliffe.

Eeesh.
LOL but i think they wont be so motivated after getting in trouble from the NCAA...just my opinion - my 11-0 thing isnt new remember the 05 champions thing i had at the bottom of my signature? ;)

G

I doubt Tennesse would go after Cutliffe.

If the Tennesse rumors are true, we better go after hardesty real hard. If the reports look accurate and nothing happens to Tennesse I will be very upset.

ND does things the right way, while many of these schools do things the wrong way, and get away with it.

Fulmer would be fired for sure if those requests went through him. Unless he plays victim like Tressel and say he didn't know anything.

irishgo8

Reaction score
QueensNY said:
I doubt Tennesse would go after Cutliffe.

If the Tennesse rumors are true, we better go after hardesty real hard. If the reports look accurate and nothing happens to Tennesse I will be very upset.

ND does things the right way, while many of these schools do things the wrong way, and get away with it.

Fulmer would be fired for sure if those requests went through him. Unless he plays victim like Tressel and say he didn't know anything.
Yah but places like ESPN still say we have sold our soul.....

jiggafini19

The Pope
Reaction score
irishgo8 said:

I'd like to see Pete Carroll and Lloyd Carr fired too. That's the only way ND goes 11-0 in '05. Probably going to need Tiller to get canned too. Michigan, Purdue, USC and Tennessee are all going to be tough games. Right now, I see those as losses based on the personnel those teams have coming back. I give them a chance in the other games.

The Pitt opener could be a total disaster, too. That Palko guy looked like Dan Marino in South Bend back in November.