Superconferences & Realignment

Huntr

24 Karat Shamrock
Reaction score
Soo, WOW.

College presidents and top executives have devised a "Super League" to transform college football as they believe the current system is "doomed" and headed for "bankruptcy," leaders tell The Athletic.

Several college presidents, Roger Goodell’s primary lieutenant at the NFL and some of sports’ top executives have devised a plan — dubbed by outsiders as a “Super League” — to completely transform college football, those involved in the group “College Sports Tomorrow” (CST) told The Athletic. Although the plan has drawn skepticism from within the sport’s current institutions, the people behind the ideas believe they must be implemented.

The current CST outline would create a system that would have the top 70 programs — all members of the five former major conferences, plus Notre Dame and new ACC member SMU — as permanent members and encompass all 130-plus FBS universities.

The perpetual members would be in seven 10-team divisions, joined by an eighth division of teams that would be promoted from the second tier.

The 50-plus second-division teams would have the opportunity to compete their way into the upper division, creating a promotion system similar to the structure in European football leagues. The 70 permanent teams would never be in danger of moving down, while the second division would have the incentive of promotion and relegation.

Too many details to list here.

eta: So everyone understands, this has a snowball's chance of happening any time soon. BUT, there are some big names on the record endorsing it. That's a big deal in and of itself.

Last edited:

NDdomer2

Local Sports vBookie
Reaction score
Got some information today that there is a TV merger in the works as it relates to college sports. Wonder if it's related/aligned to this

IrishLax

Something Witty
Staff member
Reaction score
80 is too many teams, but in general this is the right idea.

ulukinatme

Carr for QB 2024!
Reaction score
Soo, WOW.

eta: So everyone understands, this has a snowball's chance of happening any time soon. BUT, there are some big names on the record endorsing it. That's a big deal in and of itself.

If this Super Conference is the "NFL Lite" and the rest are the academics, Swarbrick said this would happen years ago. He also said ND would end up on the academic side. I guess it depends who ends up among the 70, but hopefully Sneaky Pete's recent comments buck that idea.

Cackalacky2.0

Specimen
Reaction score
Soo, WOW.

OMG….A promotion relegation system!!!!! This is the only true path forward IMO.

St this point if the ACC is letting teams like SMU join…. Then why not make them earn it and let perennial bottom feeders get relegated. The drama year in year out is magic.

INLaw

Hardcore chooch
Reaction score
OMG….A promotion relegation system!!!!! This is the only true path forward IMO.

St this point if the ACC is letting teams like SMU join…. Then why not make them earn it and let perennial bottom feeders get relegated. The drama year in year out is magic.
If you follow a club that just has no legitimate budget for top four, it’s a great way to maintain interest.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
If this Super Conference is the "NFL Lite" and the rest are the academics, Swarbrick said this would happen years ago. He also said ND would end up on the academic side. I guess it depends who ends up among the 70, but hopefully Sneaky Pete's recent comments buck that idea.
The 70, as it’s described, would basically be the P5 + ND and a few others. So, Duke/Vandy/Northwestern/Stanford/etc would be part of it.

At some point we may need to get over our philosophical objection to treating student-athletes as employees (there is zero reason a contract couldn’t include some academic expectations from both school and player) or get left behind.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score

This would be boring as hell, for us anyway. We (and Penn State) would dominate the Northeast. But also why would we be in the Northeast when we are located west of four teams in the Midwest and basically on the same longtitude as three others?

RipWheeler

Train Conductor
Reaction score

This would be boring as hell, for us anyway. We (and Penn State) would dominate the Northeast. But also why would we be in the Northeast when we are located west of four teams in the Midwest and basically on the same longtitude as three others?

May be boring as hell, but that whore Ann Arbor parlayed it into a title.

calvegas04

Reaction score

So pretty much everything before all the stupid realignments

BobbyMac

Staffer 4 Life
Staff member
Reaction score
There will never be 70 teams in the post-ncaa entity.

To top it off, he comes up with a "sub" list and doesn't include SDSU.

At least he put Miami U on it. for what reason I don't know.

Cackalacky2.0

Specimen
Reaction score
Im actually ok with this. I'd like to go a bit further and do 12 divisions with a 12 team playoff. 120 div 1 teams 10 teams per division. 4-5 of the divisions are comprised of the lesser known teams that can make their way into the upper regional division with the bottom feeders in the upper divisions being relegated. Fuck em. But the way they are showing this si the upper teams are always going to be upper teams which sucks.

IHateMarkMay

IHateDavidPollackToo
Reaction score
Im actually ok with this. I'd like to go a bit further and do 12 divisions with a 12 team playoff. 120 div 1 teams 10 teams per division. 4-5 of the divisions are comprised of the lesser known teams that can make their way into the upper regional division with the bottom feeders in the upper divisions being relegated. Fuck em. But the way they are showing this si the upper teams are always going to be upper teams which sucks.

I've always been for promotion/relegation, I remember writing a post on it on the old site. The only thing I really don't like about the proposed (outside of the weird geographical anomalies) is the permanence. I don't care about ratings, but no team should be above being relegated, just like in European soccer. If they suck, they suck.

Cackalacky2.0

Specimen
Reaction score
I've always been for promotion/relegation, I remember writing a post on it on the old site. The only thing I really don't like about the proposed (outside of the weird geographical anomalies) is the permanence. I don't care about ratings, but no team should be above being relegated, just like in European soccer. If they suck, they suck.
Exactly. I've written about it in this thread a while back as well. I totally want a relegation/promotion style league just for drama sakes. Otherwise quit fucking around with it and go straight proto-NFL Win-Loss- divisional ranked playoff set up and quit with this arbitrary CFP Pollster bullshit. The real issue is eyeballs on tvs/media interactions and only a handful of teams and markets actually drive those to any significance anyway. Set it up like the Premier league and each team gets a specific payout of media depending on the league they are in and supplemental payouts based off of finishing position.

NorthDakota

Grandson of Loomis
Reaction score

KMac151993

Reaction score
Sport is dead...headed towards SEC/BIG and everyone else is just 2nd class. Bigger impact is March Madness is dead. NIL/Transfer Portal has already delivered a death blow and this will just finish it off. Going to be interesting to see what happens when the money dries up as people leave in droves.

NDpendent

Reaction score
Sport is dead...headed towards SEC/BIG and everyone else is just 2nd class. Bigger impact is March Madness is dead. NIL/Transfer Portal has already delivered a death blow and this will just finish it off. Going to be interesting to see what happens when the money dries up as people leave in droves.
I hate the way the portal and NIL is currently set up however College football is far from dead. The fact is viewership and game attendances are up so the money is not drying up. I wish it were true to send a message to the NCAA and the conferences but the truth is they are doing well.

Pops Freshenmeyer

Reaction score
I hate the way the portal and NIL is currently set up however College football is far from dead. The fact is viewership and game attendances are up so the money is not drying up. I wish it were true to send a message to the NCAA and the conferences but the truth is they are doing well.
2023 saw an improvement on recent years but the numbers are still way down from what it was even ten years ago.

Only time will tell if 2023 was an anomaly because it was the "last" season for a number of program rivalries but a speedbump as to the total trend.

pumpdog20

Reaction score
On the flip side, new rivalries/matchups are going to occur in the next few years that could make more people want to watch.

GowerND11

Reaction score
The game is still very alive, but the spirit, the essence of college football and what it has meant to people who care about the history of the sport, who have been fans since before 2006 or so.... is dead.

greyhammer90

the drunk piano player
Reaction score
On the flip side, new rivalries/matchups are going to occur in the next few years that could make more people want to watch.

I think it's likely there will be a brief bump due to novelty ("Oh, Michigan is playing at USC? That's weird."). But I think that will wear off and what we'll be left with is a bunch of cross country games the fanbases don't really care about because Penn State fans don't know anybody who cares about Washington (or vice versa). I think there's a good chance the post-season will draw eyes, but the regular season is going to get shafted after the novelty wears off.

Pops Freshenmeyer

Reaction score
I think it's likely there will be a brief bump due to novelty ("Oh, Michigan is playing at USC? That's weird."). But I think that will wear off and what we'll be left with is a bunch of cross country games the fanbases don't really care about because Penn State fans don't know anybody who cares about Washington (or vice versa). I think there's a good chance the post-season will draw eyes, but the regular season is going to get shafted after the novelty wears off.
Yeah, co-signed.

The true death of the sport will be indifference to the middle and lower levels. That will probably be a slow process, though.