98 Major Wright (St. Thomas Aquinas HS) Fort Lauderdale, FL
99 Duval Kamara (Hoboken HS) Hoboken, NJ
100 Dale Martin (Bolingbrook HS) Bolingbrook, IL

Source: Scout June Hot 100

Irish Envy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
These rankings are questionable, at best. No Barksdale, and some players simply do not belong on this list.

jiggafini19

The Pope
Reaction score
VERY interesting.

Look how high that USC QB Corp is. Higher than Paulus.

No one knew who he was until he verballed....after SC got denied by all of their top targets.

AlbuquerqueIrishFan

Reaction score
jiggafini19 said:
VERY interesting.

Look how high that USC QB Corp is. Higher than Paulus.

No one knew who he was until he verballed....after SC got denied by all of their top targets.

That is very interesting. Maybe they're better than anyone thought, but then why weren't they USC's first choice? This list seems weird.

isotopes

Reaction score
It's probably the opposite of the ND effect. As soon as a recruit commits here they all drop in rank/stars whereas a USC recruit always sky rockets. Do they take having the university buy you and your family a new house/condo into account?

benneboy

Reaction score
There is a lot of questionable stuff but Ragone rated the 4th tight end and that far down the list is a joke. His numbers are better than everyone elses.

I

Indydomer

OK I know the old "I trust Charlie he knows the players better than anyone" line is coming, but how good are the recruits we have now. Have we talked them up to be more than they really are, or are these guys just not rating them high because they are going to ND. I don't doubt that this is the case, but the low rating don't sit to well with me personally. I personally think all of the recruits we have so far are going to be great players, but why is it so hard for anyone to give ND players credit, even before they come to campus.

Worried or No??

SillyIrish

Reaction score
No worries everyting will turn out fine and this will be upon competion a very special class. The rankings will change throughout the year and some players will move up or down, and some will fall completely out or break in. In reality we know that these stars and rankings really mean nothing, except that they are fun to look at. I mean who is to say that a kid ranked 86th is that much better than a kid ranked 110. So step back and say "gooze-frahbah" and everything will be OK.

loweND

Reaction score
A couple randow things:

This list has Rainey as a WR - which I thought was weird.
Greg Little is ranked the number 8 LB. I thought he would have been listed as a WR or a TE. Pretty sure we're recruiting him for Offense.
Ragone is the #4 TE. Thought he would be higher.
Lorenzo Edwards (considered an ND lean) is the #3 LB.
No Barksdale whatsoever.
Brent and Wade, two DTs who wanted ND offers but didn't get one are both 4* guys - could be promising news about where we stand at DT.
We're not listed as one of Gerald Jones' schools. That's dissapointing.
Caleb King and to a lesser extent Robert Hughes getting lots of love from both recruiting services.

irishnd31

Not just a pretty face
Reaction score
No Kerry Neal on the list???? Didn't he rate higher at a recent combine than most of the DE on this list? I'm very confused.

F

Fitzgerald

Both lists are to some degree meaningless and arbitrary, but Scout's is moreso. They put Clausen third simply because he's already committed, and there has to be drama as time goes on as to where their top recruit is going. That's transparent and cheap. Similar motivations dropped Kamara to where he is, and probably cost some other Irish commits spots on the list.

KMac151993

Reaction score
I don't read one bit into these recruiting rankings each year...to me they mean nothing. Let the coaches evaulate the talent and go out and get who they think best fits their system.

F

Fitzgerald

In other words, beyond the top 3, nobody knows what they're talking about - except that the player is good. How good? They aren't sure.

jiggafini19

The Pope
Reaction score
There really is no rhyme or reason to any of it. There is never an explanation of how they arrive at these rankings.

I can see ranking each guy by position, but what determines these Top 100 lists?

I think we're just supposed to take their word for it.

F

Fitzgerald

And their word is worth nothing, so, no. I'll take the word of Weis and his staff, and Carroll and his staff, and so on - watch who they go after, and there are your best players. If these scout and rivals people were the best at what they did, they wouldn't be working for scout and rivals.

jiggafini19

The Pope
Reaction score
I really look at how they rank the positions. That has more value to me than these overall lists.

What makes Jimmy Clausen rated higher than Marvin Austin. Or Ryan Miller?

Their position breakdowns are what catch my eye more than anything.

Stunned that both services have Aaron Corp in their Top 100. Remarkable.

F

Fitzgerald

Well, in fairness to the recruiting services, this is what people want, and it's what these kids are going to go through when the Heisman hype starts up. Why is Brady Quinn or Adrian Peterson better than a monster defensive player? They're not, really. It's impossible to judge except, as you said, position by position, and even then, both in high school and college, it has a lot to do with the system, so that it's tough to get a great read. Is Clausen so good because he has Tyler? Or is Tyler so good because he has Clausen? It's hard to know right now.

Reaction score
jiggafini19 said:
I really look at how they rank the positions. That has more value to me than these overall lists.

What makes Jimmy Clausen rated higher than Marvin Austin. Or Ryan Miller?

Their position breakdowns are what catch my eye more than anything.

Stunned that both services have Aaron Corp in their Top 100. Remarkable.

That's a very good point and one that a friend of mine made a few hours ago, as well.

And another difficult thing about ranking prospects is the reality that some positions have a greater impact on the game, namely quarterback. Think about it. If hypothetically, Jimmy Clausen were to become the best QB ever and Marvin Austin the best DT ever, who would be more valuable to a team? Clausen of course. And if the best kicker in football history were to be in this class, he wouldn't be placed in the Rivals 100.

When talent alone is considered, Clausen wins hands down. I think ND fans and observers are cringing too much at the past with Ron Paulus. The fact of the matter is that Clausen is incredibly skilled and he has a football IQ to match it, which probably originates from great coaching and him having two brothers that played quarterback in college. In that sense he's probably going to be the most experienced rookie quarterback in college football history.

And to be honest, I don't think Marc Tyler's talent creates some kind of illusion around Clausen's; Tyler is 'better' because of Clausen, without a doubt. Even if he commits to ND, I still think Tyler is one hell of an overrated running back. He's a LenDale White type guy and I think everyone here knows how overrated he was---the NFL scouts certainly found out for themselves.. and think about it, during the ND games, were you really intimidated when he was taking carries? I know I wasn't.

S

ShivaIrish

Although I can't agree with the recruiting services (like the Rival's claim) that they're evaluations are akin to a science, there has to be something to them. After all, look at the top football programs, and they usually are pretty highly ranked in the recruiting evaluations. Coincidence? With that said, I do agree with Jiggafini19 that the greatest importance of these ratings are in the specific positional ratings. Exact science, hardly, but a crap shoot--it doesn't seem to be.

AlbuquerqueIrishFan

Reaction score
Óglaigh_na_hÉireann said:
And to be honest, I don't think Marc Tyler's talent creates some kind of illusion around Clausen's; Tyler is 'better' because of Clausen, without a doubt. Even if he commits to ND, I still think Tyler is one hell of an overrated running back. He's a LenDale White type guy and I think everyone here knows how overrated he was---the NFL scouts certainly found out for themselves.. and think about it, during the ND games, were you really intimidated when he was taking carries? I know I wasn't.

I gotta disagree with you on White. He was an incredible college football running back. Goal line was practically an automatic for him. He had a ton of td's in his career. So, I'd gladly take Tyler if he were anthing like White.

LOVEMYIRISH

old timer
Reaction score
AlbuquerqueIrishFan said:
I gotta disagree with you on White. He was an incredible college football running back. Goal line was practically an automatic for him. He had a ton of td's in his career. So, I'd gladly take Tyler if he were anthing like White.

Could it have been an incredible front line? Sometimes that makes all the difference.

Let's face it, when they put Bush and White under the NFL spotlight, Bush came away like a stud and White dropped considerably.

I

iloveirish_12

AlbuquerqueIrishFan said:
Goal line was practically an automatic for him. He had a ton of td's in his career.

Thats cause Bush would do all the work down the feild and then they would just give it to fatty white to score. If I was Bush I would have been pissed.

F

Fitzgerald

That's nonsense, frankly. Look at White's numbers. That's all you need to know.

And his NFL stock dropped because of perceived laziness. It was a character issue, not a talent one. The kid is good.

F

Fitzgerald

Also, the Barksdale bit is why these lists, at least at this point, are mostly nonsense. As I said, beyond a very few top guys, it's a crapshoot. Barksdale is 17 on one site, not top 100 on the other. Trattou is 54 on one, not on the other. Kamara makes it at 37 on one, 99 on the other. It's hard for anyone looking at those differences to take either one seriously.

LOVEMYIRISH

old timer
Reaction score
Fitzgerald said:
That's nonsense, frankly. Look at White's numbers. That's all you need to know.

And his NFL stock dropped because of perceived laziness. It was a character issue, not a talent one. The kid is good.

Numbers are not everything...especially on a team like USC for the last 3 years. The team had so much overall talent (and coaching on offense) that people like White look better than they were. (he is very good, but I would not rate him as great.

USC team was putting up huge numbers all the time...at multiple positions. BUT when something needed to happen, Bush was the go-to guy...not White. That tells me a lot.