RIP Syd Barrett

scooper

Cincy Bail Bonds
Reaction score
Pink Floyd legend Syd Barrett dies

LONDON, England -- Pink Floyd founding member Syd Barrett has died at the age of 60, according to a spokeswoman for the band.

The singer and guitarist founded the avant garde rock band in 1965 but his drug-fueled behavior became erratic, and he left the band in 1968.

He had since lived reclusively in the eastern English city of Cambridge. A spokeswoman for Pink Floyd told the Press Association: "He died very peacefully a couple of days ago. There will be a private family funeral."

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/07/11/britain.floyd/index.html?section=cnn_latest

scooper

Cincy Bail Bonds
Reaction score
Syd not only made some great music during his brief, but stellar association with Pink Floyd, but he was also the inspiration for a lot of their best music long after he had left.

A

A2McGowan

Super Pink Floyd fan........just saw David Gilmour a couple months back. Shine on Syd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scooper

Cincy Bail Bonds
Reaction score
Shine on is one of my favorite tunes of all time. Well, collection of tunes anyway. It's a perfect example of a Syd inspired masterpiece.

jiggafini19

The Pope
Reaction score
On The Turning Away and Take It Back (Division Bell) are my two favorite Floyd tunes.

Delicate Sound of Thunder...easily my favorite live album ever. Reminds me of college.

scooper

Cincy Bail Bonds
Reaction score
On a related note, they are finally releasing the Pulse DVD.

A

A2McGowan

Thank the good lord for the Pulse DVD........cause my VHS version looks like I bought it at a thrift store in Beirut.

"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you. No one told you when to run, you had missed the starting gun."

jiggafini19

The Pope
Reaction score
A2McGowan said:
Thank the good lord for the Pulse DVD........cause my VHS version looks like I bought it at a thrift store in Beirut.

"And then one day you find ten years have got behind you. No one told you when to run, you had missed the starting gun."

I just spewed coffee all over my desk. Well done McGowan. Jigga needed a good laugh today. Overcast, rain and three stitches over my left eye.

I just ordered the Pulse CD and DVD together on Amazon after being in this thread earlier.

Last edited:

scooper

Cincy Bail Bonds
Reaction score
I love Piper. I'm going to have to fire it up tonight. That and Animals are my preferred Floyd albums.

Funny thing about the Pulse CD. I was working at a mall record store when that came out.(back when they were still called record stores, in spite of not selling records)

Remember the original pressings had a flashing red LED in the spine. We stocked quite a few copies. It was funny after putting them out the night before release. We had a wall covered with these flashing red lights. It was a pretty big deal when Pulse came out. We even gave out Pulse key chains to the pre orders. Mine broke off years ago, but I think my wife still has hers with some spare keys. I think I'll go home and put a new battery in my copy.

LOVEMYIRISH

old timer
Reaction score
Damn...he was an amazingly creative person in his time.

My favorite album of all time is The Final Cut. It's by far and away the most disturbing and deepest album that ever came out of the group.

It was also done in holophonic sound...which is amazing.

...Shine on you Crazy Diamond...

Remember when you were young,
You shone like the sun.
Shine on you crazy diamond.
Now there's a look in your eyes,
Like black holes in the sky.
You were caught on the crossfire
Of childhood and stardom,
Blown on the steel breeze.
Come on you target for faraway laughter,
Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!

You reached for the secret too soon,
You cried for the moon.
Threatened by shadows at night,
And exposed in the light.
Well you wore out your welcome
With random precision,
Rode on the steel breeze.
Come on you raver, you seer of visions,
Come on you painter, you piper, you prisoner, and shine!

Nobody knows where you are,
How near or how far.
Pile on many more layers
And I'll be joining you there.
And we'll bask in the shadow
Of yesterday's triumph,
And sail on the steel breeze.
Come on you boy child,
You winner and loser,
Come on you miner for truth and delusion, and shine!

scooper

Cincy Bail Bonds
Reaction score
Shine on is my favorite Floyd song and one of my favorite songs overall. That's what was my highlight on Pulse, playing all parts of it together.

maison bleu

Banned
Reaction score
scooper said:
I love Piper. I'm going to have to fire it up tonight. That and Animals are my preferred Floyd albums.

Those are my two favorites too... Wish You Were Here a close third...

Ah Syd, we'll miss you...