Religion and Politics

Legacy

Reaction score
Dorothy Day Should be an Inspiration to Present-Day Protesters

Excerp:
In this era of political name-calling and seemingly unbridgeable political gaps, it is appropriate to consider the views of this woman who could merit such favorable mention from such divergent sources. And indeed depending on which of her writings you read, you might be puzzled and ask, “Is she on the Right or Left?”

“The Right,” you say? True, she stated in 1972 that “birth control and abortion are genocide.” Years earlier, she quoted approvingly the man who co-founded the Catholic Worker organization with her in 1933: “People go to Washington, asking the Federal Government to solve their economic problems. But the Federal Government was never meant to solve men’s economic problems. Thomas Jefferson says, ‘The less government there is the better it is.’” In February 1945 she wrote, “We believe that social security legislation, now balled [sic] as a great victory for the poor and for the worker, is a great defeat for Christianity. . . . We in our generation have more and more come to consider the state as bountiful Uncle Sam. ‘Uncle Sam will take care of it all. The race question, the labor question, the unemployment question.’ We will all be registered and tabulated and employed or put on a dole, and shunted from clinic to birth control clinic. . . . It is the city and the state and the federal government that is robbing them [the people] and pilfering them, too. They are taxed for every bite they eat, every shoddy rag they put on. They are taxed on their jobs, there are deductions for this and that. . . . The first unit of society is the family. The family should look after its own.”

“The Left,” you say? True, she was a pacifist and about as anti-war as one could be, and this was true long before the Vietnam War, which she vigorously opposed. In June 1940, the month that Hitler’s armies had completed taking over parts of Western Europe, including France, Day told the readers of her newspaper (The Catholic Worker):“‘And if we are invaded’ is another question asked. We say again that we are opposed to all but the use of non-violent means to resist such an invader.” Given such a position it is hardly surprising that she opposed the U.S. entry into World War II, even after the Japanese bombing of Pearl Harbor.

She was also a self-proclaimed anarchist, but following Tolstoy’s example in favoring a non-violent anarchism that retained the essential elements of how the term is defined—opposition to a centralized government and the desire to set up “a new order based on free and spontaneous co-operation among individuals, groups, regions and nations.” In May 1974, after attending an anarchist conference at New York’s Hunter College, she wrote, “Because I have been behind bars in police stations, houses of detention, jails and prison farms, whatsoever they are called, eleven times, and have refused to pay Federal income taxes and have never voted, they accept me as an anarchist. And I in turn, can see Christ in them even though they deny Him, because they are giving themselves to working for a better social order for the wretched of the earth.” The following year Eunice Shriver (nee Kennedy), an admirer of Day, called her to tell her that her husband, Sargent (first head of the Peace Corps), was going to seek the Democratic nomination for president and asked if Dorothy could support him. Day’s comment in her diary was, “I, an anarchist. But ‘Pray for him.’”

Like many anarchists, she was critical of capitalism. In 1954 she agreed with the statement of the Vatican newspaper Osservatore Romano when it wrote:

Capitalism seizes, confiscates, and dries up wealth, i.e. reduces the numbers of those who may enjoy riches, holds up distribution and defies Divine Providence who has given good things for the use of all men. St. Thomas Aquinas says that man must not consider riches as his own property but as common good. This means that communism itself, as an economic system, apart from its philosophy—is not in contradiction with the nature of Christianity as is capitalism.
Capitalism is intrinsically atheistic. Capitalism is godless, not by nature of a philosophy which it does not profess, but in practice (which is its only philosophy), by its insatiable greed and avarice, its mighty power, its dominion.

The previous year, she summed up her feelings on the U.S. capitalist consumer culture and what she would like in its place.

The poor want what they are persuaded to want by advertisements, radio, television. They want radio and television, cars, clothes, cosmetics, cigarettes, good food and drink. They don’t want to take over the factories, land, in any decentralist or distributist movement. They don’t think it possible. They are more intent on preserving the status quo of our industrial capitalist system. So what they get is capitalism or communism, and we don’t want either. We would like to see a country made up of farming communes, agronomic universities, hospices, unions, cooperatives, small units of all those necessary institutions to be preserved, and a doing away with luxury in order to have the essential which is ownership of house and field and job, and the responsibility which goes with that ownership. We wish to abolish the proletariat state, rather than establish the dictatorship of the proletariat, abolish the wage system which provides men with luxuries but not the essentials.

Pope Honors Dorothy Day and Thomas Merton, But FBI Sure Doesn’t

On March 12, 1972, Notre Dame's named Dorothy Day as the reciepent of the 1972 recipient of the Laetare Metal, the University’s highest honor.

She and the Catholic Worker Movement were taken to court by the IRS the same year for failure to pay $296,359 in back taxes and penalties. A second IRS action involves taxes on a bequest left to her by a deceased spinster; Miss Day’s Catholic worker group is “political,” said the IRS, not charitable, and therefore not exempt from taxes.

Day said:
“The Catholic worker movement believes that tyranny and injustice must be fought by spiritual weapons, by nonviolence, and by noncooperation. It is not only that we must follow our conscience in opposing the government in war. We believe also that the government has no right to legislate as to who can or who are to perform the works of mercy. Only accredited agencies have the status of tax-exempt institutions… as personalists, as an unincorporated group, we will not apply for this ‘privilege.’ ”
The Citizens United decision put an end to restrictions on such groups declaring themselves as non-profits entities for the IRS.

Last edited:

Legacy

Reaction score
Trump must contend with a mobilized religious left, new research finds (news.nd.edu)

While more than 80 percent of white Evangelicals voted for President Donald Trump in 2016, their mobilization at the congregation level has since generally plateaued, and new research finds that progressive congregations have surged in their political activism, likely in direct response to Trump administration policies.

A new study by Kraig Beyerlein, University of Notre Dame associate professor of sociology, and Mark Chaves, Duke University professor of sociology, analyzes data from the National Congregations Study (NCS)— a nationally representative sample of U.S. congregations over time — and finds that the very congregations that should have increased their mobilization the most under Trump in fact increased it the least, including on issues for which Trump has strongly advocated, like immigration and endorsing candidates.

Even on issues that inspired religious liberty executive orders, like endorsing political candidates and wanting to do so without losing tax-exempt status, conservative and predominantly white evangelical Protestant congregations trail well behind Black Protestant churches. In addition, these churches increased their political activism the most between the Obama and Trump administrations.

With the 2020 presidential election on the near horizon, Beyerlein discusses what he and his co-researcher learned about the political engagement of U.S. congregations — and how that may impact results on Nov. 3. (cont)

How religious groups voted in the midterm elections (Pew)

Last edited:

domer13

Reaction score

Cackalacky2.0

Specimen
Reaction score
I can probably help.

Do you have any specific questions?
Just in general what this means lol. Trying to figure out if my sister can get married now and not have to worry about an eternity in hell. If no moral analysis is needed then what does that do to the sanctity of a Catholic marriage?

domer13

Reaction score
Just in general what this means lol. Trying to figure out if my sister can get married now and not have to worry about an eternity in hell.
To this first bolded: No, this doesn't change the doctrine about sacramental marriage (between man and woman, unto death, open to children, etc.). So no, your sister would not be able to get married within the Church.

To the second: I think the Church would say that nobody is guaranteed heaven, that we are all sinners (other than one or two people, depending on who you ask) and need God's grace (and our cooperation with it) to get into heaven. I think the Church would say that there are plenty of gay people in heaven and plenty of straight people would should worry a whole lot more "about an eternity in hell."

I think what this news "means" is that a priest/deacon (and perhaps any of the laity) can give two people a blessing. Blessings can be given for any variety of reasons (sick relative, new house, expecting a child, before traveling, before sporting games, blessing of food before meals, etc.). Blessings generally 1. Praise God for who He is and what He does/has done 2. Ask for God's grace to come down upon whomever/whatever is being blessed. It seems that priests are now not forbidden/discouraged from giving this sort of blessing to two people who are explicitly within a committed, same-sex relationship/union.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
Just add him to the list.
Jerry Farwell
Bob Jones
Jim Bakker
Joel Osteen
John Gray
Greg Dixon

TorontoGold

Mr. Dumb Moron
Reaction score
One of my favorite passages from the new testament "Cut thy neighbor with razor wire and separate man from child."
My favorite passage from the new new testament is Cleatus 69:420 "Fuck the poors, if they are in need too bad so sad, hate thy neighbor" or "If it's brown gun it down".

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
My favorite is from the Book of Toronto: "If thee does not agree, then thy are evil and want to perish all others"

Cackalacky2.0

Specimen
Reaction score
michaeljordanfuckthemkids.jpg

Job 101:01

drayer54

Reaction score
One of my favorite passages from the new testament "Cut thy neighbor with razor wire and separate man from child."
I thought it was “cut thy neighbors child’s genitals off so they/them can worship the woke”

TorontoGold

Mr. Dumb Moron
Reaction score
My favorite is from the Book of Toronto: "If thee does not agree, then thy are evil and want to perish all others"
Yes because my arguments always center around killing/removing my ideological opponents! The guy advocating for better social safety nets is also the intolerant one haha.

Blazers46

My adjectives are wise, brilliant and handsome.
Reaction score

This has to be a joke because he failed with his first line. The Bible specifically outlines what marriage was designed for. Bible preaches paying your debts. Besides government the Christian church does more for the poor than anyone on the planet. This isn’t a Christian nation but it is nation founded on Christian principles. Loving people (LGBTQ) isn’t the same as accepting their lifestyle. Churches do more for homelessness than any nation on the planet. This guy is an idiot. Just because sounds like a boring pastor and dresses like a boring pastor and the background looks like a boring ass church doesn’t remotely make him right. He’s 100% wrong. And it shows how much you idiots know about Christianity. Stay in your lane, stop pretending.

Blazers46

Reaction score
I’ll also add that I would never condone or want a Christian nation. That would fuxk up free will and force something I wouldn’t want forced on anyone.

Blazers46

Reaction score
Yes because my arguments always center around killing/removing my ideological opponents! The guy advocating for better social safety nets is also the intolerant one haha.
Speaking of intolerance, aren’t you the one making fun of Christians and the Bible just literally a post ago? 🤷‍♂️