Reasons to Respect MSU and move the game date

Domer95

Reaction score
The following, from a MSU grad, is the antithesis of the reasons to HATE scUM that I posted last week. While we can't 'like' an opponent, MSU does deserve respect, unlike scUM. That being said, I'd still love to see CW&Co lay about 60 on them to remind them not to plant that flag AGAIN EVER.

The topic was "Should the B-11 cut-off ND?"

"I'm an MSU grad who DOES understand and appreciate the history of our series, and frankly, your post does not make clear just how much MSU owes to Notre Dame - which is everything we have today.

Back when MSU was a little independant trying to expand its program to become "big time," we were pretty much stonewalled by the University of Michigan. They blackballed our admission into the Big 10 for what seems like forever, and if you could see our year-by-year football schedule, you'd see that we played AT Michigan for about, oh, forty straight years! (small wonder the series won-loss advantage leans heavily in U-M's favor, huh?)

Michigan State more or less approached ND on its knees to play football every season. At the time, there was no Spartan Stadium as we know it today. Macklin Field (its previous name) was very small; it was FAR smaller indeed than Notre Dame Stadium was. MSU would have taken a 2-1 home-away split or even worse than that in order to induce Notre Dame to play us. But the Fathers that ran the school did not want to take advantage of our comparatively weak bargaining position, and instead proposed to MSU (then named Michigan State College, of course) that we play home and away evenly each season.

With this guaranteed home date in our back pocket, MSU was able to justify our own stadium expansion. The annual series with ND also gave us a kind of national appeal and benefitted the school in more ways than can be mentioned, not the least of which was financial. In effect that one series made Michigan State football "big time."

When Chicago left the Big 10 - thanks in no small part to WWII and the Manhattan Project research that was going on in labs underneath their football stadium - Michigan State was the natural choice to become the new Big 10 member.

Michigan finally saw the writing on the wall and realized they could no longer block our admission to the league. In what must be the all-time crowning example of chutzpah, Michigan actually was the school that proposed MSU's admission to the Big 10! And I won't even get into how U-M deliberately flooded the visitors' dressing room with raw sewage on MSU's first visit to Ann Arbor as a member of the Big 10.

Bastards! Ah, but I digress.

Have there been some rocky times between MSU and ND? Sure there have. But overall, the series is a warm one and knowledgable MSU fans (and hopefully, Notre Dame fans) appreciate this series for its longevity, cordiality, and, yes, good ball games that have been played over the years.

No, I don't expect current students to understand the history of the game. Hell, a lot of them don't even know anything about our nation's history, to say nothing of the history of their university. And the famous "subway alumni" of Notre Dame probably aren't too interested in the history of the MSU series, either. But those of us with a little appreciation for history and who love football and our alma maters do understand all this.

I know that contracts currently exist only for another five years or so. More than anything, I hope that we get another extension - hopefully for a decade or more.

(Now, if only we could get the game moved to the last game of the season, it would be PERFECT. Let USC play UCLA while we play each other to end the season in late November. It wouldn't get any better than that!)

And by the way, not only did U-M keep ND out of the Big 10, they also wouldn't even play the Irish because the Michigan administration was actually afraid that Catholic students at U-M would cheer for Notre Dame instead of for their own school!

If I didn't mention it already, I'll add only this: "f*** Michigan."

Here's to a great game on Saturday".

S

solo

The following, from a MSU grad, is the antithesis of the reasons to HATE scUM that I posted last week. While we can't 'like' an opponent, MSU does deserve respect, unlike scUM. That being said, I'd still love to see CW&Co lay about 60 on them to remind them not to plant that flag AGAIN EVER.

The topic was "Should the B-11 cut-off ND?"

"I'm an MSU grad who DOES understand and appreciate the history of our series, and frankly, your post does not make clear just how much MSU owes to Notre Dame - which is everything we have today.

Back when MSU was a little independant trying to expand its program to become "big time," we were pretty much stonewalled by the University of Michigan. They blackballed our admission into the Big 10 for what seems like forever, and if you could see our year-by-year football schedule, you'd see that we played AT Michigan for about, oh, forty straight years! (small wonder the series won-loss advantage leans heavily in U-M's favor, huh?)

Michigan State more or less approached ND on its knees to play football every season. At the time, there was no Spartan Stadium as we know it today. Macklin Field (its previous name) was very small; it was FAR smaller indeed than Notre Dame Stadium was. MSU would have taken a 2-1 home-away split or even worse than that in order to induce Notre Dame to play us. But the Fathers that ran the school did not want to take advantage of our comparatively weak bargaining position, and instead proposed to MSU (then named Michigan State College, of course) that we play home and away evenly each season.

With this guaranteed home date in our back pocket, MSU was able to justify our own stadium expansion. The annual series with ND also gave us a kind of national appeal and benefitted the school in more ways than can be mentioned, not the least of which was financial. In effect that one series made Michigan State football "big time."

When Chicago left the Big 10 - thanks in no small part to WWII and the Manhattan Project research that was going on in labs underneath their football stadium - Michigan State was the natural choice to become the new Big 10 member.

Michigan finally saw the writing on the wall and realized they could no longer block our admission to the league. In what must be the all-time crowning example of chutzpah, Michigan actually was the school that proposed MSU's admission to the Big 10! And I won't even get into how U-M deliberately flooded the visitors' dressing room with raw sewage on MSU's first visit to Ann Arbor as a member of the Big 10.

Bastards! Ah, but I digress.

Have there been some rocky times between MSU and ND? Sure there have. But overall, the series is a warm one and knowledgable MSU fans (and hopefully, Notre Dame fans) appreciate this series for its longevity, cordiality, and, yes, good ball games that have been played over the years.

No, I don't expect current students to understand the history of the game. Hell, a lot of them don't even know anything about our nation's history, to say nothing of the history of their university. And the famous "subway alumni" of Notre Dame probably aren't too interested in the history of the MSU series, either. But those of us with a little appreciation for history and who love football and our alma maters do understand all this.

I know that contracts currently exist only for another five years or so. More than anything, I hope that we get another extension - hopefully for a decade or more.

(Now, if only we could get the game moved to the last game of the season, it would be PERFECT. Let USC play UCLA while we play each other to end the season in late November. It wouldn't get any better than that!)

And by the way, not only did U-M keep ND out of the Big 10, they also wouldn't even play the Irish because the Michigan administration was actually afraid that Catholic students at U-M would cheer for Notre Dame instead of for their own school!

If I didn't mention it already, I'll add only this: "f*** Michigan."

Here's to a great game on Saturday".

I too would like to see this game moved. Last game of the year doesn't sound half bad. Here's why I like it. Under John L Smith, and even going back to his predecessor, MSU's season always seems to falls apart AFTER the Michigan game. MSU can be zooming along, having a nice season, lose to Michigan, then completely self destruct. Maybe John L will fix that this season.

But I personally am tired of playing you guys while you are riding sky high. Not trying to slam MSU here, because I like the series. I just can't figure out the Jeckyl/hyde routine that seems to coincide with playing Michigan.

N

NDAlumSon

From a previous post...

From a previous post...

For the schedule's sake:
1) Indiana (drop Purdue)
2) Wisconsin (drop Michigan St.)
3) Alabama (drop Shula like a nickel)

onenybrother

The Giver of Articles
Reaction score
I like the schedule the way it is. If Michigan State falls apart late in the season every year who cares. We have tradition going up against alot of schools.. If anything drop Michigan Sate and put Miami back on the schedule. It can only help recruiting.

S

solo

Well, I guess the point of my post was that it seems easier to beat MSU late in the season compared to early. So why not schedule them later in the year?

N

NDAlumSon

would love to see Wisconsin back on the schedule....

Yeah, me too.
Maybe it's just me, but I think the schedule has gotten stale over the years.
I know this going to bring a deluge of "yeah but..."
BUT I could use some new blood on the schedule personally.
And who knows, it might actually help recruiting.
No 1-AA's, no St. Mary's of the Sister's first cousin's brother-in-laws ex-wifes Universities.
Just some new blood.

dylan020

the next 007
Reaction score
oh man! I would LOVE to see ND beat the piss out of Bama...i hear that alabama or auburn shit everyday! lol i'd love to be able to say...ehhh, fuck em both...we already beat bama

VictorsValiant

I LOVE NOTRE DAME
Reaction score
I mean, what you're talking about is ancient history. Times change. Whether or not you support affirmative action (and I oppose our approach), we are a model of tolerance now. The administration bends over backwards to enforce tolerance, even at the expense of free speech.

Contrary to conventional wisdom, I have my own theory about MSU. They don't necessarily fall apart after the Michigan game. Last year, they fell apart after the OSU fiasco with JL Smith blaming his own coaches. MSU has a very high risk offense that relies on quick strikes and short drives. But their defense is horrible, ranked near the bottom in almost every single category, with no skill at any position whatsoever. So what does this do? If you have an offense that doesn't necessarily rely on keeping the ball and winning time of possession, your poor defense breaks down at the end of the year. Plus, your offense is then placed under enormous pressure to produce, something that can't always happen when you don't have traditional running/pass offense, but rather a pass first offense. These breakdowns are inevitible, so I don't understand why anyone's surprised. JL Smith needs to get some defense if he wants this team to be consistent. Otherwise, you're asking the guys you have right now to do the impossible.