Ogelsby to the Cheeseheads

Domer95

Reaction score
per Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

Score another one for Coach Bret Bielema and the Wisconsin Badgers. A big one.

St. Francis High School offensive tackle Josh Oglesby, considered to be one of the state's top two prep football recruits from the class of 2007, has made a verbal commitment to attend the University of Wisconsin.

Oglesby stands 6 feet 7 inches and weighs 320 pounds. He is considered a five-star recruit and has been ranked nationally among class of '07 offensive linemen.

As a junior last season, Oglesby led a St. Francis offensive line that helped the Mariners produce 2,987 yards rushing, an average of 299 yards per game, as St. Francis went 6-4.

"He really solidified his feelings for Wisconsin at their spring game" last Saturday, St. Francis coach Doug Sarver said. "All the best programs in the country were recruiting him and he had gone to some camps last summer and really made a name for himself."

Those camps were at Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame and UW, Sarver said.

"The coaches that I've talked to feel he is a natural left tackle at the next level," Sarver said. "They say he is as good looking a kid as they've seen in many years."

Oglesby is the second commitment the Badgers have scored from the class of '07. The first was Middleton's Nick Toon, a receiver and the son of former UW great Al Toon.

------
Didn't Al Toon go to Tennessee???

Reaction score
WisconsinPreps.com is running a story today that says Ogelsbey is coming closer to narrowing his list down to two... but it doesn't say anything else.

He has seemingly moved further away from 'lock' status to Notre Dame.. but the guy is coming to South Bend with his mom for a visit in just a few weeks, so I honestly doubt that this report is even remotely accurate.

I hope.

Reaction score
No one has posted anything in Wisconsin's Rivals messageboard. That said, the last post was four days ago, so, who knows. Maybe no one has posted anything because nothing has happened or maybe Wisconsin fans know that their football team will never win a national title and so they aren't enthusiastic enough to post in the first place.

Irish Envy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Journal-Sentinel is the big Milwaukee paper. I doubt they run the story if they don't have it as fact.

jiggafini19

The Pope
Reaction score
Their message board is crap.

This appears to be the case. Apparently, there is a family situation that makes him want to stay close to home. Not sure what that is.

Best of luck to him. ND now needs 3 OT and 2 OG. I still like Pozderac and James Wilson at guard, with Stroter at tackle. The two others are a mystery. They seem to be pushing for Miller and Romine much harder now. Maybe saw this Oglesby thing coming?

I

irish4life99

We shouldn't be real suprised when at the last minute he didn't come to the B&G game and went to Wisconsons. I guess that's where he feels comfortable. Good catch for them. I thought he would have looked good under a gold helmet!

jiggafini19

The Pope
Reaction score
Jason Sapp posted this on BGI about 20 minutes ago:

Just spoke with head football coach Doug Sarver while he was at his other office...

When asked if Josh Oglesby committed to the University of Wisconsin, he declined to comment on the situation and said that he has yet to discuss the situation with Josh's parents.

Reaction score
jiggafini19 said:
Jason Sapp posted this on BGI about 20 minutes ago:

That actually sounds bad. If he hadn't made a commitment, then the coach would have flat out said "I don't know where you're getting this, it isn't true".

J

jkmoline

his grandma has cancer and he is quoted in a USC rivals article today talking about how it makes him nto want to leave home, but he in that article no where says hes committed, if you go to the ticker on irish illustrated you'll see josh oglesby, at one point his grandma being sick is called a family tragedy...looks like that pushed him over the edge

jiggafini19

The Pope
Reaction score
It doesn't look very good for ND. Let's just say that.

We'll hear from Big Josh soon enough.

I

irishfox

I have emailed the author of that article from the JS Online about who his source is, will let you know more when I hear back.

I

irishfox

It's true, was told to look at Badger Blitz...hopefully he changes his mind come Feb.

Irish Envy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good for Oglesby! In today's world of spoiled athletes, the fact he chose to stay close to home because of family should be commended. You could tell why Notre Dame wanted him, because he would have fit in well as he values what you should.

Good luck at Wisconsin, Josh.

AlbuquerqueIrishFan

Reaction score
Oh well. On to other prospects.

Not to be morbid, but if his grandmother passes, perhaps he would change his mind and come to South Bend.

domerfor life

Reaction score
AlbuquerqueIrishFan said:
Oh well. On to other prospects.

Not to be morbid, but if his grandmother passes, perhaps he would change his mind and come to South Bend.

Yikes! I will stay away from that comment. It's too bad we missed out on him though.

scooper

Cincy Bail Bonds
Reaction score
Wisconsin's a good program. They put out big strong linemen. Joe Thomas will be a rich man come this weekend next year. And he'll be closer to home. This is not a bad decision for him. Once again, I wish the one that got away nothing but the best. He's a good kid.

The only real surprise here was the timing. I thought his recruitment would go longer.

I

irish4life99

What is it with football players from Wisconsin. Just cant find one bad thing to say about them. Good Luck Josh, hears to a great future!

R

rontdtarchala

while we all can agree it would have been great to have him as a domer I for one give him an ataboy for putting family first there just seems to be far to little of that these days....good luck young man.

jiggafini19

The Pope
Reaction score
Step up with Miller, Ziemba, Romine, Stroter, Wilson and Pozderac.

I hope to see Matt Bush of Jersey get an offer. Could be a second guard if Wilson goes somewhere else.

St.Kittsnd

Reaction score
I keep seeing the name Pozderac. With him being a legacy, I would have thought that if there was any chance of getting an offer, it would have been quick. Charlie seems to be all over the OL at this early point and I don't see Pozderac getting an offer.

jiggafini19

The Pope
Reaction score
Perhaps, but there are plenty of guys waiting on offers right now. He is one of them. He is probably a three star kid and they could be waiting on him to camp, get test scores, etc.

If they're going to get a legacy, I hope it is Brian Smith at MLB. His video made me forget all about Kyle Jackson.

St.Kittsnd

Reaction score
Cheers to that. If we land Smith at MLB, we potentially could have a linebacker trio of Smith, Smith and Smith! How cool would that be.