Offensive Line Thread

Old Man Mike

Fast as Lightning!
Reaction score
Scrambling is by definition unplanned chaos. You do not in any strict definition of the word "plan" for that as far as lineman patterns or assignments are concerned. OLine readiness for scrambling is largely mental: Awareness and reaction and willingness to hustle to the end of play. The main issue in training, in my opinion, is to teach the OLine when NOT to block during a scramble. This chaos is when the engaged defensive player will turn to pursue, and the OLineman will suddenly find his arms in "Holding Call" position, which he has to release immediately or we get red-flagged. It probably is the biggest "p!ss-me-off" (and usually unjust) moment OLinemen face. I predict that ignorant fans will many times this year jump down OLinemen's throats for these faux-holding penalties, when it might not be their faults at all.

Giddyup

Reaction score
Knew this was coming once we hired HH. If I knew Rees was gonna bring Hiestand back then I would have said Freeman should have cleaned house. HH sucks

NDTampa

Reaction score
Obviously Patterson was missed. There seemed to be no movement. Very disappointing.

notredomer23

Staph Member
Reaction score
Total clusterfuck. I’m shocked beyond words that they were as bad as they were.

Horrendous and that may be nicely put. Lugg doesn’t belong. Fisher got dominated multiple times.

Any time there was a stunt by the defense, they had no idea how to adjust. Maybe that’s partially due to Patterson being out? Idk. But it was bad.

BilboBaggins

Reaction score
You guys know know they went up against a DL as talented as any in the country, right? Literally five-star recruits all over that depth chart. Add in the safeties playing ten yards off the ball, and you all should not have expected much.

Patterson will get back to 100%, hopefully soon, and that will help.

stpeteirish

Reaction score
You guys know know they went up against a DL as talented as any in the country, right? Literally five-star recruits all over that depth chart. Add in the safeties playing ten yards off the ball, and you all should not have expected much.

Patterson will get back to 100%, hopefully soon, and that will help.
Yeah but we were supposed to be so much better under the great coaching upgrade and we weren't. Maybe it'll take some time to gel, but we were awful.

A healthy Patterson will help. Not sure if Kristoflec is the guy I'd bench for him. Lugg and Correll were worse at first glance.

Giddyup

Reaction score
Wish I was. HH has struggled for a long time with the run and it was like everyone forgot how much his ol run blocking production sucked before.

sixstar

Reaction score
Just a reminder that Georgia dominated our vaunted 33 Trucking attack.

OSU has an embarrassment of riches in the front seven. Yes, they got shredded last year, but this is not last year.

Calling for firing HH? Oof.

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
OSU got shredded on D last year
This isn't 2021. tOSU had way too much talent to remain bad on defense for long. They brought in a top D coordinator and turned things around quickly. Contrary to some posters beliefs it doesn't always take weeks, months, or years for a coordinator to turn things around, especially if the team already has talent. They've had dominant DLs for awhile, that's not new. They beat us in the trenches.

IRISHDODGER

Blue Chip Recruit
Reaction score
My beef is that when ND actually has a great OL & run game, they still don’t trust it enough vs the elite teams. Whether it was UGA when they had Nelson/McGlinchey + Wimbush at QB or tonight w/ an allegedly great OL + Buchner, they bail after a few unsuccessful drives. I would’ve loved to see ND commit to Estime between the tackles more. It can be frustrating but sooner or later the levy breaks and the OL imposes its will on the DL and springs the RB. That doesn’t happen when the OC bails on it early and relies on short passing game & end arounds. That didn’t do Buchner any favors tonight.

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
Don't we have an embarrassment of riches on the o line and tight end?
We''re still young in a few spots on the OL, and we had miscommunication issues tonight. Lets not forget that tOSU turns out some good DL players too, they've got talent there.

IRISHDODGER

Blue Chip Recruit
Reaction score
ND will probally run the table or at the very worse finish with two loses
Too early to predict after tonight. If they can impose their will on offense the next few weeks and show signs of improving each week, I like their chances. We‘ve been spoiled since 2017 where ND won the games they were supposed to win. And remember, some of those came down to the 4th quarter or even final drive despite playing inferior teams.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
Too early to predict after tonight. If they can impose their will on offense the next few weeks and show signs of improving each week, I like their chances. We‘ve been spoiled since 2017 where ND won the games they were supposed to win. And remember, some of those came down to the 4th quarter or even final drive despite playing inferior teams.
It is too early but if our defense plays every game like they did tonight, and our offense improves a bit (really how can they not?) I'm hard-pressed to say who beats us.
But, like you said, you shouldn't take for granted winning the games you're supposed to. Lots of solid programs struggled with that today.

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
It’s Quinn’s fault! For as bad as a dline osu had, they sure dominated everyone besides Alt
Why do you think tOSU's DL was bad? Five 5 stars, and twenty-six 4 stars have been recruited to that defense over the last 4 years. Lots of good Edge rushers and other DL players.

IrishSteelhead

All Flair, No Substance
Reaction score
Time to dust off the Mike Leach quote. Hope the staff uses this approach:

“Our offensive line has to be tougher people ... That will be addressed tomorrow. It will be an experience they won’t forget. They’ll be talking about it when they’re my age.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk