ND's Talking Heads ... The good, bad & ugly

FightingIrishLover7

All troll, no substance
Reaction score
a beat writer going on vacation during spring ball is kind of strange no?
Also - someone said Europe
But, I know a few weeks back he said he'd be going on vacation/assignment to write stories about certain QBs from Mississippi and Alabama while down there...
Aka, Deuce and Riley

BobbyMac

Staffer 4 Life
Staff member
Reaction score
Also - someone said Europe
But, I know a few weeks back he said he'd be going on vacation/assignment to write stories about certain QBs from Mississippi and Alabama while down there...
Aka, Deuce, Riley and the most important ND prospect in HS today... Gunner

FIFY

ColinKSU

Reaction score
No offense to Pete, but his post-practice stuff was never his draw. Love the Tims and John Brice over at II (haven't heard enough from their new guy) plus Jamie at ISD for their practice stuff. But Pete's work has been increasingly long-form or deep dive.
Yeah I’m not sure I’ve ever gotten a ton of genuine insight into the game from Pete. That’s kind of why he works in The Athletic’s format. Nothing wrong with that.

zelezo vlk

Reaction score
I was wondering who he was replacing but I forgot Loy is a national guy now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ian77

Reaction score
Yeah I’m not sure I’ve ever gotten a ton of genuine insight into the game from Pete. That’s kind of why he works in The Athletic’s format. Nothing wrong with that.
His niche does seem to be the 40,000 foot view of ND football, and that's fine. He gets things right, unlike a lot of other national publications when they focus on ND. He also seems like a genuinely nice guy, which definitely isn't a given with some other ND beat reporters. You do need to have the patience of a saint.

stpeteirish

House Skeptic
Reaction score
Everyone at the Athletic is a bad month away from getting laid off anyway. Might as well jump to the front of the line and save someone else's job.

IrishBoognish

Reaction score
His niche does seem to be the 40,000 foot view of ND football, and that's fine. He gets things right, unlike a lot of other national publications when they focus on ND. He also seems like a genuinely nice guy, which definitely isn't a given with some other ND beat reporters. You do need to have the patience of a saint.

100%

Prister is a valuable resource, but holy hell does he not take well to any pushback. He's just too old to understand the nuance of internet discourse and gets pissed.

O'Malley I really like, but he again takes it a little personal sometimes.

Sampson floats above it all and gives some pretty useful unvarnished opinions.

(Loy tended to get really upset too when people doubted him...) but it's a really hard job.

dublinirish

Everestt Gholstonson
Reaction score
Everyone at the Athletic is a bad month away from getting laid off anyway. Might as well jump to the front of the line and save someone else's job.

Not many working in sports journalism are the main bread winner in their family. Sampson, Brice etc all included

ColinKSU

Reaction score
There’s usually some time dedicated to letting us know how stupid Notre Dame fans are on both of his podcasts, but it’s not typically coming from Pete…

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
Pete does not have the background/insight that the best former-player TV color guys (Mayock, Orlovsky) can bring. Nor is he a big Xs and Os guy. But the occasional series he's done for the Athletic where he sits down with players to analyze plays from their past season - the way the players see them - is some of the most insightful football journalism I've ever read.

zelezo vlk

Reaction score
Tbf listening to any of the ND beat (or anyone in football) talk about things can be frustrating. They can do a complete 180 and say it’s what everyone always saw or knew. And listening to them talk about things they have no knowledge about (especially the NFL) is infuriating to anyone who actually bothers to pay attention lol.

Then again plenty of NFL guys miss badly all the time. Couldn’t tell you the number of NFL media guys who said Minnesota should just bring back Cousins on a 1 year deal as if that’d ever move the needle…

BobbyMac

Staffer 4 Life
Staff member
Reaction score
Tbf listening to any of the ND beat (or anyone in football) talk about things can be frustrating.

I've consumed as much ND content as anyone in the past 10 years and I've listened to ND podcasts/youtube channels less than a handful of times.

They all suck in long verbal form.

INLaw

Hardcore chooch
Reaction score
I've consumed as much ND content as anyone in the past 10 years and I've listened to ND podcasts/youtube channels less than a handful of times.

Its like all media, as long as you know the presenter’s bias then it can be useful

Huntr

24 Karat Shamrock
Reaction score
Tbf listening to any of the ND beat (or anyone in football) talk about things can be frustrating. They can do a complete 180 and say it’s what everyone always saw or knew. And listening to them talk about things they have no knowledge about (especially the NFL) is infuriating to anyone who actually bothers to pay attention lol.

This is why I'm glad we have Brice, now. That guy knows more about football than any of them. He's better at picking out details of play and highlighting their importance and he's not reticent to criticize. He's better at giving us the context of ND in the national landscape, in that he has sources outside of ND football that he leans on, in addition to those he's cultivated since he's writing *for* ND, as well. This is hard to describe, but I think he does a good job of acting like an SEC beat writer on the ND beat.

Prister and O'Malley know ND history better, of course, but Prister is not cut out for social media interaction and O'Malley just wants to play chuckle fuck a lot of the time. I like Sampson and his long form stuff in The Athletic, but, I look elsewhere for game analysis.

Anyone can speak in generalities about ND being a blueblood and always having a seat at the table, etc, etc. I want to know what a guy/team does on the field that makes him/them good, compared to what other guys/teams do that make them not as good. Brice is great at that.

CanadalovesND

Reaction score
This is why I'm glad we have Brice, now. That guy knows more about football than any of them. He's better at picking out details of play and highlighting their importance and he's not reticent to criticize. He's better at giving us the context of ND in the national landscape, in that he has sources outside of ND football that he leans on, in addition to those he's cultivated since he's writing *for* ND, as well. This is hard to describe, but I think he does a good job of acting like an SEC beat writer on the ND beat.

Prister and O'Malley know ND history better, of course, but Prister is not cut out for social media interaction and O'Malley just wants to play chuckle fuck a lot of the time. I like Sampson and his long form stuff in The Athletic, but, I look elsewhere for game analysis.

Anyone can speak in generalities about ND being a blueblood and always having a seat at the table, etc, etc. I want to know what a guy/team does on the field that makes him/them good, compared to what other guys/teams do that make them not as good. Brice is great at that.

“Chuckle fuck”

That’s kind of his MO.

INLaw

Hardcore chooch
Reaction score

Spot on

OhioIrish

Reaction score
Lmao
In IBs Livestream today the chat apparently wanted them to start discussing QBs more (or something like that) and Driskell went ape shit and called them little bitches for whining
Lmfao
I believe Driskel’s hypersensitivity is the most well-documented item in this forum. But, he’s certainly earned the commentary. Incredibly, the people he has added in recent months are so bad that I actually have begun to appreciate him more. Driskel is playing chess, apparently.

ColinKSU

Reaction score
I believe Driskel’s hypersensitivity is the most well-documented item in this forum. But, he’s certainly earned the commentary. Incredibly, the people he has added in recent months are so bad that I actually have begun to appreciate him more. Driskel is playing chess, apparently.
Knowing Driskel is hypersensitive and incapable of handling even the slightest criticism is the key to understanding literally everything about him.

NDQuebec

There, there
Reaction score

I find several podcasts worth listening to. Irish Illustrated is good (I don't see why Prister and O'Malley are given a bad rap above) and has gotten better with Brice. My others are Locked on Irish, ISD and the Independent, all three for various reasons. The others aren't worth your while imo.

IRISHDODGER

Blue Chip Recruit
Reaction score

This reflects my feeling as well. Brice brings in a national perspective but w/ an ND focus. His time in the SEC gives him gravitas & he’s got good sources w/in the industry.

Pete is a solid storyteller & he’s not annoying to listen to like Mike Frank or Driskel. When my dad started subscribing to BGI in the 80s, I remember when Sampson was they young guy they brought in so I’ve relied on his coverage along w/ Prister for years.

O’Malley is a bit of a chuckle fuck but I’m ok with that. He’s a good yin to Prister’s yang.

With the addition of Brice (& a soon to be announced recruiting reporter), BGI is far & away my favorite source.

dublinirish

Everestt Gholstonson
Reaction score
Brice’s best inputs are always when he’s talking shit about SEC coaches players or fans. He wasted doing practice reactions and such

BobbyMac

Staffer 4 Life
Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen some short snippets of Brice... He's good.

Pete's good as a quick after game commentary.

Tim & Tim sound good in quick bursts.

If I was to build a pod team that I'd listen to an hour straight it would be Paul Burmeister hosting with Jamie, Brice and my favorite guy, Brian Smith.

If it was talking big picture ND athletic dept like sitting down with Father Bob or AD Pete, I'd go with Sampson.

IrishSpartan

Reaction score
I've seen some short snippets of Brice... He's good.

Pete's good as a quick after game commentary.

Tim & Tim sound good in quick bursts.

If I was to build a pod team that I'd listen to an hour straight it would be Paul Burmeister hosting with Jamie, Brice and my favorite guy, Brian Smith.

If it was talking big picture ND athletic dept like sitting down with Father Bob or AD Pete, I'd go with Sampson.
Id love to see Driskell’s reaction when Smith drops f bombs on his podcast