ND “prioritizing” Jon Heacock for DC

Dale

Reaction score
[TWEET]https://twitter.com/footballscoop/status/1481420520042242048?s=21[/TWEET]

Figured Stuckey and Heacock cross discussion would be annoying.

Loy also hearing similar.

Dale

Reaction score
This feels like it was so obvious from the beginning but it was either downplayed or dismissed somewhat I felt to begin with. It’s always been to me the “safe” option and makes sense to go experience here.

BilboBaggins

Reaction score
I really like this hire. The Heacocks are a big football name in Ohio. His brother Jim was the DC at Ohio State during the Tressel years.

Valpodoc85

Reaction score
Dude has some miles on him. Coached ST in the past too. Hard to figure his recruiting chops tho

IrishLax

Something Witty
Staff member
Reaction score
On one hand, I think he's a good coach and I think we need experience.

On the other hand, we really just do not have the personnel for 3-3-5. Safety is arguably the worst position group on the team. Our DL do not fit traditional 3 down roles. Etc.

Dale

Reaction score
I’m not really too worried we see Heacock’s 3-3-5 anytime soon. Freeman won’t resist the temptation to get the type of DL and rush guys he can in favor of a 3-3-5 stack. I don’t think we’ll see the true stacking Heacock does, though certainly shouldn’t expect to see MF’s version go away anytime soon.

GoldenAura

Reaction score
[TWEET]https://twitter.com/BenVisser43/status/1436312877380538368?s=20[/TWEET]

This caught my attention

Grahambo

Varsity Club Member
Reaction score

On the other hand, we really just do not have the personnel for 3-3-5. Safety is arguably the worst position group on the team. Our DL do not fit traditional 3 down roles. Etc.
Will be interesting to see what adjustments an experienced coach like him makes with this roster. I’d imagine Watts goes back to WR so you lose another body.

Irish4life

Reaction score
Jon Heacock is a top 3 DC in CFB today. If not the best DC in CFB. Would be a PHENOMENAL hire. Also worked with Coach Freeman at Kent State and Purdue.....

Whiskeyjack

Mittens Margaritas Ante Porcos
Staff member
Reaction score
Great modern defenses are: (1) multiple; and (2) built back to front. The 3-3-5 fits that bill better than any other formation, and Heacock is better at it than any other CFB coach. I'm sure there will be growing pains as our current personnel isn't perfectly suited for it (just like they weren't this year), but the logic is undeniable. Freeman has vision!

Calabrese's People

Reaction score

"Iowa State’s system is somewhat hard to define, and that’s by design. Schematically, the Cyclones ran a 4-3 or a 4-2-5 when Heacock arrived with Campbell in 2016. Following a ho-hum non-conference stretch the next year, the Cyclones all but threw out their defensive playbook. Heacock’s directive was to get his best players on the field. The result: A 3-3-5 that put three defensive linemen, three linebackers and five defensive backs in the lineup."

Last edited by a moderator:

Dale

Reaction score
ND should be able to recruit at a level to field when needed a 4-3 versus Wisconsin, 4-2-5 versus Cincinnati, and 3-3-5 versus UNC. I still think “Base” is gonna be similar to this year with a Vyper standing up.

IrishBoognish

Reaction score
Everything I've read and heard is that MF has been pretty clear he wanted someone that would bring new ideas and be a great teacher, but wasn't looking for someone to switch up schemes or lingo.

If we get this dude. Everything I've read and heard leads me to believe they've had that talk and hes on board with the idea..

SouthSideChiDomer

Reaction score
Yo, we got some funky code going on here. My browser keeps redirecting me to 247sports website every time I load this page.

Whiskeyjack

Mittens Margaritas Ante Porcos
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo, we got some funky code going on here. My browser keeps redirecting me to 247sports website every time I load this page.

Same thing was happening to me on mobile. Seems to have been that 247 link posted by Calabrese's People above. I deleted it, and it's no longer trying to redirect me.

irishff1014

Reaction score
I watched a YouTube video describing his defense. I understand why he runs it in the big 12. I think that we should be able to recruit much better talent so in theory the defense should be better. However I have some concerns.

1- I think against bigger running backs the run game is going to get big plays.

2- I worry about consistent pressure on the QB.

3- you are going to need crazy depth on both the d-line and in the linebackers for up tempo because they are going to get tires really quick.

4- the mobile QB has a lot of opportunities to make plays.

5- with everyone new defensive coordinator I wonder how he would adapt and change to defending Navy.

Positives

1- you really need to recruit great line backers and db’s.

2- it does get creative at times and even confusing who might or might not be coming.

3- other than a good RPO the deep throws look protected very well.