ND Defensive Music

I

Irish_Fan85

Just a question what is the song the band plays right before the irish's defense takes the field....that song gets my blood boiling?

irishnd31

Not just a pretty face
Reaction score
Don't know what the name of the song is, but it is from the movie Star Wars. I think this is what you are referring to.

jiggafini19

The Pope
Reaction score
TexasDomer said:
I believe it's the Imperial March from Star Wars.

You believe right. I think it was in Empire Strikes Back. Great stuff. Our band in HS would play it before every third down when we were on defense. Hence, instead of "blackshirts" we were known as "storm troopers."

BGIF

Varsity Club
Reaction score
jiggafini19 said:
You believe right. I think it was in Empire Strikes Back. Great stuff. Our band in HS would play it before every third down when we were on defense. Hence, instead of "blackshirts" we were known as "storm troopers."

I never understood the logic of playing that song. It's gloom and doom but the the guys with that theme music end up annihilated in the end.

I'd rather hear the defense take the field to "Ride of the Valkyries".

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning!"

Domer95

Reaction score
BGIF said:
I never understood the logic of playing that song. It's gloom and doom but the the guys with that theme music end up annihilated in the end.

I believe that it was taken from Univ of Florida when Lou and crew out played, out maneuvered and out smarted da ol' ballcoach in the Sugar Bowl in 1/93. At that time it was custom for the band to 'take' (as a scalp if you will) a favored song of the opposing school that we faced and BEAT in a MAJOR bowl. Since that hasn't happened since then, I guess the practice has been lost. I was told this by my roommate who was on the ND drumline.

BGIF

Varsity Club
Reaction score
Well, that probably explains why it has endured. We can't get rid of it - no replacement scalp.

Charlie, HELP!

jiggafini19

The Pope
Reaction score
BGIF said:

Never really thought of it that way. I'd hear that song and just want to hurt people.