Movies you just saw

Black Irish

Wise Guy
Reaction score
Okay, let's call this thread pretty self-explanatory; you discuss films you've just seen recently (either for the first time or for the umpteenth time)

I just saw "Confessions of a Dangerous Mind." It's George Clooney's directorial debut about the (supposed) life of Chuck Barris, television producer and purported CIA hit man. I heard it was solid but I'm wary of Clooney material as he is apt to load his movies with predictable leftist claptrap. It was really engaging, I must say. The leftist nonsense was minimal. 2 things, tough; you must have a healthy tolerance for the sight of Sam Rockwell's butt. Also, it occurred to me that while Julia Roberts is incredible striking, lovely, and charismatic she is not the least bit sexy or alluring. Seriously, minor female characters in this movie blew her away with regard to sex appeal. It seems minor and silly, but my wife and I agree that it is difficult to buy a man throwing himself at this woman with unbridled passion.

Last edited:

FightingIrishLover7

All troll, no substance
Reaction score
It's been a bit...

Les Miserables.... Wow, such a great film. It's a tear jerker. But the live action singing really, really makes the movie. It creates a nice intermediate from traditional film musicals to theater musicals. Also, the cast was essentially perfect. Anne, Jackman, Crowe, Seyfried, and the lesser names were tremendous as well... Sacha Baron Cohen was hilarious too.

I highly recommend this film. Tremendous.

Black Irish

Wise Guy
Reaction score
It's been a bit...

Les Miserables.... Wow, such a great film. It's a tear jerker. But the live action singing really, really makes the movie. It creates a nice intermediate from traditional film musicals to theater musicals. Also, the cast was essentially perfect. Anne, Jackman, Crowe, Seyfried, and the lesser names were tremendous as well... Sacha Baron Cohen was hilarious too.

I highly recommend this film. Tremendous.

I've been hearing good stuff about this movie (Russell Crowe's singing non-withstanding). I'll certainly check it out when it hits DVD. Any thoughts to how it stand up to the Liam Neeson/Geoffrey Rush version?

dshans

They call me The Dribbler
Reaction score
Okay, let's call this thread pretty self-explanatory; you discuss films you've just seen recently (either for the first time or for the umpteenth time)

I just told you in a different thread. "Zorba the Greek," dammit!

FightingIrishLover7

All troll, no substance
Reaction score
I've been hearing good stuff about this movie (Russell Crowe's singing non-withstanding). I'll certainly check it out when it hits DVD. Any thoughts to how it stand up to the Liam Neeson/Geoffrey Rush version?

Honestly, I haven't seen the Neeson version since I was young. I couldn't compare. I was with multiple family members that said it was much better than that version.

As for Crowe, his seeing wasn't "pretty" like you might expect on Broadway. However, I actually liked the gritty tone. It made the movie sound more believable. Sometimes over singing takes away from the movie imo. The "normalness" in his voice was pleasing to hear.

I highly recommend. It's still in theaters in my area, maybe you could still catch it there. I'm more of a movie theater kind of guy. But if you can't make, definitely worth watching on DVD. The better the sound system you play it on, the better.

Enjoy!

Irish YJ

Southsida
Reaction score
Saw Zero Dark Thirty. While it was good, did not live up to the hype IMO. Pretty darn good acting from the leads, just slow in spots.

D-BOE34

F*** Michigan
Reaction score
Saw Zero Dark Thirty. While it was good, did not live up to the hype IMO. Pretty darn good acting from the leads, just slow in spots.

Very slow! I loved it though.. just took a while.

IrishAlum1997

"Gru" the Dew
Reaction score
Just got home from "The Last Stand." Not a Stephen King novel, the Schwarzenegger comeback vehicle. And when I say comeback, I mean propped up on a stick on camera for 90 minutes.

A few chortles the last 30 minutes. Glad I didn't pay for it.

IndyIrishFan1

Reaction score
Argo - must see. Who knew Ben Affleck would turn out to be this good of a director?

Silver Linings Playbook - good, but I would classify it as an "Oscar Movie." Meaning it is full of good acting performances but overall the movie is a B and not really re-watchable.

This is 40 - Good, but can wait for Netflix/Redbox

Mr. Larson

Reaction score
Argo - must see. Who knew Ben Affleck would turn out to be this good of a director?

Silver Linings Playbook - good, but I would classify it as an "Oscar Movie." Meaning it is full of good acting performances but overall the movie is a B and not really re-watchable.

This is 40 - Good, but can wait for Netflix/Redbox

This x1000. Best movie I saw from 2012. Alan Arkin is the man.

Been trying to catch movies from the comedy draft we did on IE last summer that I hadn't watched. Dr. Strangelove is an all time classic.

sportallyr

Sport-all-year
Reaction score
Django Unchained. Great movie, but a little long. Tarantino could have easily cut out 30 minutes or so out of the movie and I think it would have flowed much better. Christoph Waltz, Jamie Fox, Don Johnson, Leo DiCaprio and Sam Jackson are all brilliant characters and the typical Tarantino-esque witty dialogue made me laugh out loud throughout the movie. I didn't like the ending, but I won't spoil it for those that haven't seen it. Tarantino needs to stick to writing / directing and leave the acting to the actors. He has a 10-15 minute cameo as an Australian character and his acting (especially his phony accent) is absolutely awful! There is quite a bit of gratuitous gore, so definitely not a movie if you don't like to see blood (my wife hated it for this reason). Overall, if you like Tarantino movies you will not be disappointed and I highly recommend seeing it on the big screen while you can!

BurningRiver

Notre Dame class of '17
Reaction score
Zero Dark Thirty was excellent. A little slow, but even the slow parts featured tense moments and excellent acting. And the last half hour/45 minutes were some of the best film making I've ever seen

Veer option

Anti sarcasm font
Reaction score
Saw End of Watch over the weekend. If you are a fan of police shows (Southland, The Shield) and movies (Heat, Colors) I think you will enjoy it. There is some brutal/heavy stuff, so be forewarned.

GO IRISH!!!

Nashville Livin'!
Reaction score
Zero Dark Thirty was pretty good, but I agree it did not live up to the hype. Then again, I made the mistake of reading a book about the mission ("No Easy Day") right before seeing the movie, so the parts that were left out or over dramaticized in the movie really got to me. If you really want to get the real story about the mission, read that book.

tko

I am Legend
Reaction score
um, Les Miserables. i took one for the team on this one. i do want to see Zero Dark Thirty soon.

UmphreakDomer

Reaction score
i love movies. they are what i do.

there have been some fantastic films this year. the summer blockbusters were a little meh this year. avengers and dark knight were probably my favorites.

now that its award season, im trying to see all of the nominated films from the major categories. you guys have been pretty spot on.

i missed flight. and i have yet to see life of pi. and lincoln.

i really enjoyed skyfall. it was the best bond movie to date. hands down.

les mis-is very close to a perfect movie. epic in design and yet personnal due to all of the solos being shot almost entirely in close up and in one take. i was working with eddie redmayne when he had to audition for this--very funny watching this brit dressed as a cowboy singing some of the most famous music about the french revolution.

argo- it got gipped. its extremely well done. very tense and anxiety laced through out. even though we know the outcome, it still managed to grip me completely till the very end. and there was enough levity to adjust to a 2 hour heart attack. alan arkin is always fantastic.

zero dark thirty-basically the same as argo. gripping and enough tension even though the outcome is known. dont know how much liberties were taken by the filmmakers. the director has said there is some, there has to be. and yes, the final 30 minutes are great. jessica chastain is going to have a very long career. shes just fantastic.

django unchained-loved it. a tad long. but, im fine with that. it never got to a point where i was bored. a tad gory, but its the "neo-tarantino gore", which is like the kill bill stuff. fountains of blood, exploding blood packs. its so heightened that it cant be taken seriously. i find it funny. he used to push the envelope with reservoir dogs and the ear. or pulp fiction with the brain pieces but from kill bill on, he has almost exploited his own devices.

this is 40-meh. kinda funny. somehow i think leslie mann is a crazy "b" and is not acting whatsoever. the problem with this movie is there is no real story here. its a collection of "problems" or situations that middle aged people go through. and address different things that i know my parents would never have had to deal with, but the truer nature of the modern family. funny. paul rudd is awesome as usual. just meh.

promised land--should win best screenplay hands down. its fantastic. matt damon at the top of his game. francis mcdormond is great as usual. and i was pleasantly surprised with john krazinski. a terrific story. terrific setting. just a really strong film.

the impossible--i didnt watch it, but my girlfriend did. she really liked it. said its sad as anything shes ever seen. even les mis.

beasts of the southern wild--tragic. sad. uplifting. the little girl is fantastic. the "beasts" shots were sort of annoying after awhile. the typical fantasy metaphor, it just got stale or already was. took me out of the moment. its a movie that i would not watch again. and its sort of hard to believe that there are people that live like this.

i think thats about it. for now. will probably see lincoln. not sure about life of pi. id like to but we'll see.

IrishinTN

Reaction score
um, Les Miserables. i took one for the team on this one. i do want to see Zero Dark Thirty soon.

Not gonna lie...loved it. But I am a huge song and stage/Broadway kind of cat. Nothing Compares to Phantom of the Opera, however.

B

Buster Bluth

Django Unchained. Great movie, but a little long. Tarantino could have easily cut out 30 minutes or so out of the movie and I think it would have flowed much better. Christoph Waltz, Jamie Fox, Don Johnson, Leo DiCaprio and Sam Jackson are all brilliant characters and the typical Tarantino-esque witty dialogue made me laugh out loud throughout the movie. I didn't like the ending, but I won't spoil it for those that haven't seen it. Tarantino needs to stick to writing / directing and leave the acting to the actors. He has a 10-15 minute cameo as an Australian character and his acting (especially his phony accent) is absolutely awful! There is quite a bit of gratuitous gore, so definitely not a movie if you don't like to see blood (my wife hated it for this reason). Overall, if you like Tarantino movies you will not be disappointed and I highly recommend seeing it on the big screen while you can!

Best movie of the year. I can watch Tarantino forever, and his legions of fans wish he didn't cut it the 40min that he did to get it under three hours.

He has said that he might stop making movies in a decade or so and write or go to making mini-series so he can use all of his script and not have time crunches. Tarantino + HBO = 7-10 hours OF GREATNESS.

irishpat183

Banned
Reaction score

Tarantino staple.

Great movie. I went to see it as well. The dialogue is top notch (as will all his movies)

Also, just watched "Taken 2" and it was solid.

I"m looking forward to "Mama" (I'm a horror fan).

irishpat183

Banned
Reaction score
Best movie of the year. I can watch Tarantino forever, and his legions of fans wish he didn't cut it the 40min that he did to get it under three hours.

He has said that he might stop making movies in a decade or so and write or go to making mini-series so he can use all of his script and not have time crunches. Tarantino + HBO = 7-10 hours OF GREATNESS.

One of my favorite movie lines of all time from Dusk til Dawn:

What were they psychos?

Psychos? Psychos??....Psychos don't explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fVck how crazy they are!