Longtime OU WR Coach Resigns

du Lac

CEO of IE
Reaction score
Should’ve had the player stand up and read out loud to his teammates what was more important than film study. Better yet, read it out loud except for “that” word and have the player say “that” word out loud since people of coach’s color can’t say “that” word.

It was the dumbest way to punish. If I’m coach I ask him for the phone and keep it until the end of the meeting. I then talk about accountability and what it means to be part of a team. If he throws a fit and refused to give me the phone, I tell him to leave the meeting. At that point I suspend him for the first quarter of the first game. Why the fuck do you read a message out loud? That is literally what a teacher would do in the 1970’s. I would never want to read what is on there anyway in case it was so bad I had to report it creating a larger headache for myself.

Last edited:

hungryhippo

Reaction score
I guess the only thing I don’t really understand (and I don’t know enough to have an opinion as to whether dude should be fired) is why the first couple sentences of Venables statement were about the harm Gundy did to the players, but the players affected overwhelmingly didn’t want Gundy fired.

Can someone explain if I’ve misunderstood? If I haven’t, can someone explain what I’m missing?

du Lac

CEO of IE
Reaction score
I guess the only thing I don’t really understand (and I don’t know enough to have an opinion as to whether dude should be fired) is why the first couple sentences of Venables statement were about the harm Gundy did to the players, but the players affected overwhelmingly didn’t want Gundy fired.

Can someone explain if I’ve misunderstood? If I haven’t, can someone explain what I’m missing?

As Bill Maher likes to say, “the elevation of sensitivity over truth”.

Last edited:

Irishnuke

CFB Message Board Guy
Reaction score
Gundy should have just screamed at the kid until his face turned purple. I heard that's what good coaches do.

du Lac

CEO of IE
Reaction score
What happened to making a mistake and apologizing for it, forgiveness, and learning moments? If Gundy had used the word in anger or directed towards a player, then yeah, I can see firing him probably. But reading what a player was typing on his iPad when he was supposed to be paying attention during a film session??? Give me a break. Where was the malice or intent to harm? Sounds like even his players didn't want him fired. Unless there's a whole lot more to this, this is a complete and ridiculous overreaction.

Forgiveness? Lol. This is not an American virtue. It’s a Christian virtue.

Whiskeyjack

Mittens Margaritas Ante Porcos
Staff member
Reaction score

Venables wanted him gone. Gundy's faux pas gave OU cause to axe him. Can't imagine we would have even heard about this incident if Venables still wanted him on staff.

CoachB

Reaction score

While I would never do that, I think to have him cost his job is weak. Especially if his whole team still wanted him there and his time there had been exemplary. If it was his own words, it would be an entirely different story. Weak BV. I would not root for you. Sorry, but reeks of political correctness.

CoachB

Reaction score
What happened to making a mistake and apologizing for it, forgiveness, and learning moments? If Gundy had used the word in anger or directed towards a player, then yeah, I can see firing him probably. But reading what a player was typing on his iPad when he was supposed to be paying attention during a film session??? Give me a break. Where was the malice or intent to harm? Sounds like even his players didn't want him fired. Unless there's a whole lot more to this, this is a complete and ridiculous overreaction.
I would like this 100 times if I could.

Crazy Balki

Site Assigned Optimist
Reaction score
Venables wanted him gone. Gundy's faux pas gave OU cause to axe him. Can't imagine we would have even heard about this incident if Venables still wanted him on staff.
Yeah, but WHY? Why would Venables want Gundy gone?

Gundy was coaching receivers and was heavily involved in the offensive blueprint that was widely successful at OU. He also oversaw coaching arguably the strongest position group of the last 5 years, the receivers.

This is just a bad look from Venables. You need as many prominent offensive minds as you can get, because you know jack shit about offense.

Whiskeyjack

Mittens Margaritas Ante Porcos
Staff member
Reaction score

Gundy was coaching receivers and was heavily involved in the offensive blueprint that was widely successful at OU. He also oversaw coaching arguably the strongest position group of the last 5 years, the receivers.

This is just a bad look from Venables. You need as many prominent offensive minds as you can get, because you know jack shit about offense.
He was a holdover from the old regime. My impression is it's actually pretty rare that a new coach wants to keep an old assistant. Who knows Venables motives here?

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
Agree. This was my thought from the beginning. The "incident" is just a convenient excuse.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
I see hot white girls lip synching that word while they shake their asses to rap songs in tic tok on a daily, hourly, minute by minute basis. I can’t figure out why every time I open my app it’s always a face blast of overstimulating racist eye candy. Why aren’t these outrageously hot racist 19 y/o babes being canceled?
So that's where you spend your time when not posting here!

du Lac

CEO of IE
Reaction score
It doesn’t make it right but this shit has been said in locker rooms and by coaches for decades. 99.9% of the time it doesn’t leak. One of my high school coaches used the word often back in the 90’s. It’s wrong and now looking back as an adult it’s crazy he would say it, but he often greeted a friend of mine and black athlete with, wassup my…

nobody ever said anything bc the black athletes loved him and didn’t consider him otherwise racist and he had a deep fatherly relationship with them. He even let one black athlete live with him rent free when he became homeless. He expected nothing in return. It was simply bc he had a heart for kids black or white. The kids would run through walls for him and still love him to this day. 🤷🏿‍♂️

It seems Adrian Peterson feels the same way.

Last edited:

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score

Probably butting heads and Venables grew tired of it.

HouseofPain

Reaction score
Probably butting heads and Venables grew tired of it.
Then that is just a piece of crap HC there. One thing to not want someone on your staff, another thing altogether is to wreck someones reputation for it. 99% of the people wont dig deeper and will just say he (Gundy) was racist trash. This is a really, really bad way to be and Im sure this will come around full circle on Venables one day. One reaps what one sows.

Last edited:

IrishLax

Something Witty
Staff member
Reaction score
It doesn’t make it right but this shit has been said in locker rooms and by coaches for decades. 99.9% of the time it doesn’t leak. One of my high school coaches used the word often back in the 90’s. It’s wrong and now looking back as an adult it’s crazy he would say it, but he often greeted a friend of mine and black athlete with, wassup my…

nobody ever said anything bc the black athletes loved him and didn’t consider him otherwise racist and he had a deep fatherly relationship with them. He even let one black athlete live with him rent free when he became homeless. He expected nothing in return. It was simply bc he had a heart for kids black or white. The kids would run through walls for him and still love him to this day. 🤷🏿‍♂️

It seems Adrian Peterson feels the same way.
Speaking of the 90s and what people used to get away with --

IHateMarkMay

IHateDavidPollackToo
Reaction score
Just to play devil's advocate here. He may have told his players to stay quiet about it until he got all the information so he could make the decision as opposed to it leaking out by the players and gave the media a heyday.

Irish2155

Reaction score
It was the dumbest way to punish. If I’m coach I ask him for the phone and keep it until the end of the meeting. I then talk about accountability and what it means to be part of a team. If he throws a fit and refused to give me the phone, I tell him to leave the meeting. At that point I suspend him for the first quarter of the first game. Why the fuck do you read a message out loud? That is literally what a teacher would do in the 1970’s. I would never want to read what is on there anyway in case it was so bad I had to report it creating a larger headache for myself.
My college coach (early 2000s) would have just yelled at you to get the F out and send your ass straight to the track to run for a week. And good luck finding the diamond for awhile. Guess you can do that though when you’re 4 to 5 deep at every position and playing in the Series every year. Then the upperclassman would handle it from there… We had this thing called the gauntlet as one example. Self policed if you will.

He’d also use every word in the book. The F or GD bomb were in every sentence. But had no tolerance for the N word. Not from us (black and Dominican players included) or his staff.

Crazy Balki

Site Assigned Optimist
Reaction score
Then that is just a piece of crap HC there. One thing to not want someone on your staff, another thing altogether is to wreck someones reputation for it. 99% of the people wont dig deeper and will just say he (Gundy) was racist trash. This is a really, really bad way to be and Im sure this will come around full circle on Venables one day. One reaps what one sows.
I haven't seen any confirmation, but there was some rumblings that Gundy was contentious with the Lebby hiring.

If true, can't say I blame him, given Lebby's history.

Bad look for Venables that he fires a coach for this, but is more than willing to hire a coach who basically did nothing when a woman reported being repeatedly assaulted by one of his players and openly defended Art Briles after the dam broke on that scandal.

du Lac

CEO of IE
Reaction score
I haven't seen any confirmation, but there was some rumblings that Gundy was contentious with the Lebby hiring.

If true, can't say I blame him, given Lebby's history.

Bad look for Venables that he fires a coach for this, but is more than willing to hire a coach who basically did nothing when a woman reported being repeatedly assaulted by one of his players and openly defended Art Briles after the dam broke on that scandal.

OU is full of dirt bags. If you’re a kid and want to play for them, you’re not ND material.

Crazy Balki

Site Assigned Optimist
Reaction score
OU is full of dirt bags. If you’re a kid and want to play for them, you’re not ND material.
Not gonna lie. I didn't know about Lebby's connection to the Baylor scandal until recently.

It is a very bad look on Arnold's part that he committed to OU primarily because of them hiring Jeff Lebby.

All around, this raises a ton of red flags for Venables. He retained Gundy and then this happened, so that reflects poorly on him. And worse than that, he hired Jeff Lebby. That's 2 bad hirings right there, and his first season hasn't even started.