Lenten Season

forkbeard3777

Reaction score
With Ash Wednesday approaching, what are you giving up for lent this year?

Also, are there any particular books of the Bible (or other Christianity books - C.S. Lewis, N.T. Wright, Tim Keller, etc.) you plan on reading or can recommend reading for lent?

zelezo vlk

Reaction score
RE: books, I try to spend more time reading the Gospels during Lent. It just seems more fitting for the preparation for Easter.

Lberry

Banned
Reaction score
With Ash Wednesday approaching, what are you giving up for lent this year?

Also, are there any particular books of the Bible (or other Christianity books - C.S. Lewis, N.T. Wright, Tim Keller, etc.) you plan on reading or can recommend reading for lent?
Are you at all curious about the UFO/UAP phenomenon? If so I'd recommend "Birthright" by Tim Alberino. It's out there, but it was convincingly tied to scripture throughout and I'd recommend it to any believer with interest in that area (reviews are exceptionally high). 380 pages

I'm restarting the bible which I read last year, but only get a few pages a day finished as I struggle with the old testament.

Last edited:

Valpodoc85

Reaction score
CJ Ryle has a number of gospel commentaries. Written late 1880's. Good for the "common man". I've been reading one each lent. Free on Amazon kindle with prime

MacIrish75

They scanned my cat. I can play!
Reaction score
Are you at all curious about the UFO/UAP phenomenon? If so I'd recommend "Birthright" by Tim Alberino. It's out there, but it was convincingly tied to scripture throughout and I'd recommend it to any believer with interest in that area (reviews are exceptionally high). 380 pages

I'm restarting the bible which I read last year, but only get a few pages a day finished as I struggle with the old testament.

The Old Testament is tough sledding. Leviticus through Deuteronomy, in particular, are a gauntlet.

notredomer23

Staph Member
Reaction score
Giving up diet soda and protein bars. Hoping Lent spurs that into a mostly permanent abstinence from the two sans special occasion. Not that either are particularly bad for you, but I did the math on how much I spend on them in a month and it's much more than I'd like to admit.

Old Man Mike

Fast as Lightning!
Reaction score
The concept of "giving up" crappy aspects of my life might be "productive" in some sense, but never amounts to anything worthwhile for me. I choose to resolve to DO things rather than not do things. The best things to do (in my opinion) is to insist on leaving everyone that I interact with a little happier, a little more joyful, than when I showed up (however briefly) in their lives. I knew a person (a Cursillo brother who I grouped with for some years after he made the weekend), who absolutely did this --- so I know it's possible to be that person. That person was universally liked and loved. Other people began smiling before Jim was even in talking distance. He was, in a sense, The Happy Christ Walking --- a pretty good person to try to become. I'll bet that he passed on smiling.

I, however, am still working on it.

SeekNDestroy

Reaction score
The concept of "giving up" crappy aspects of my life might be "productive" in some sense, but never amounts to anything worthwhile for me. I choose to resolve to DO things rather than not do things. The best things to do (in my opinion) is to insist on leaving everyone that I interact with a little happier, a little more joyful, than when I showed up (however briefly) in their lives. I knew a person (a Cursillo brother who I grouped with for some years after he made the weekend), who absolutely did this --- so I know it's possible to be that person. That person was universally liked and loved. Other people began smiling before Jim was even in talking distance. He was, in a sense, The Happy Christ Walking --- a pretty good person to try to become. I'll bet that he passed on smiling.

My priest growing up always encouraged us to do something rather than give up something.

BabyIrish

Marble Mouth
Reaction score
A priest told me similar, give up something to add something good to your life. So my wife and I together will be giving up TV at night to spend quality time together.

I’ll also be doing a Lenten journal called “Restore” by Sr Miriam Heidland.

Lberry

Banned
Reaction score

Simple, noble, immeasurably impactful, yet exceptionally rare.