Lennay Kekua, A Hoax!

Irish8248

Reaction score
I think what people seem to miss is that he didn't just "love her" but through the fake adversity she went through Manti couldn't walk away. Being the kind of person he is, way more selfless than probably all of us combined, he developed a connection to her story. He was put in a position of her emotional rock. Can you picture him having a conversation with her and at some point giving a spiritual or motivational theme? I could easily. Then after the accident, the death, he lost someone he cared about. I think the love of if his life comment was more of a love for her strength and commitment during the fake tragedies. I believe someone posted earlier that he already has a gf who pays soccer at SM.

Defn lied to cover up the online dating but I honestly believe he fell in love with the situation. Based on every interview, every persons reaction to meeting him, this kid doesn't say no to anyone. He believes he was put on this earth to make a difference.

PADOMERNUT

Reaction score
I lost alot of respect for some media members who I previously didnt think were complete pieces of $hit. They all assume he was guilty or in on it before hearing anyone speak. Its true what they say, in court you are innocent until proven guilty, but not in the court of public opinion.

This has to be embarassing. But I dont think it is anything more than a naive, trusting kid who doesnt have much "relationship" experience given his faith and spirituality, got in over his head.

Plus, in a few weeks, no one will be talking about this. Like most sensationalized stories, people will go nuts for a week or so, then be completely forgotten.

GoldenIsThyFame

Community Moderator
Reaction score

GoldenIsThyFame

Community Moderator
Reaction score
I lost alot of respect for some media members who I previously didnt think were complete pieces of $hit. They all assume he was guilty or in on it before hearing anyone speak. Its true what they say, in court you are innocent until proven guilty, but not in the court of public opinion.

This has to be embarassing. But I dont think it is anything more than a naive, trusting kid who doesnt have much "relationship" experience given his faith and spirituality, got in over his head.

Plus, in a few weeks, no one will be talking about this. Like most sensationalized stories, people will go nuts for a week or so, then be completely forgotten.

My favorite part is all the recruiting people I follow on twitter making jokes about Manti. I mean seriously? These are the guys that "befriend" these high school kids to get all the scoop on their recruitment and then when one gets in trouble or in this case, is duped, they assassinate the character of these kids. Have they no professionalism? The worst have been @gmartlive (who covers USC of course) and Keith Niebuhr that I have seen.

Ironman8

Jaqen H'ghar
Reaction score
My favorite part is all the recruiting people I follow on twitter making jokes about Manti. I mean seriously? These are the guys that "befriend" these high school kids to get all the scoop on their recruitment and then when one gets in trouble or in this case, is duped, they assassinate the character of these kids. Have they no professionalism? The worst have been @gmartlive (who covers USC of course) and Keith Niebuhr that I have seen.

Yup. I unfollowed both of them last night. The USC guy just sounds butt hurt over Manti not going their 4 years ago, and Niebuhr just sounds like an ***.

PADOMERNUT

Reaction score

I'm trying to stay off twitter for this very reason. Its not worth the aggrevation. They are obviously pathetic human beings.

notredomer23

Staph Member
Reaction score
All these media outlets are reporting that Te'o was hoaxed, but how are they not victims of this hoax, too? They spent tons of time and money on interviews, specials, and features with Te'o almost strictly about this. I guess it just amazes me that no one would put two and two together.

connor_in

Oh Yeeaah!!!
Reaction score
Former Stanford DT:
RT @MMasifilo: Got to believe Te'o was the victim here. He would always ask us if we knew his mystery girl after we'd play them

Haven't chimed in on this until now, but this^ and they way Swarbrick backed Manti with the full university with very little wiggle room (even after an investigation) lead me to believe in the Manti duped with at worst some embellishing on his part. But as some others have pointed out, when tragedy strikes, acquaintences become friends and friends become best friends, etc

WaveDomer

Reaction score
It doesn't surprise me that the media didn't check the story etc. That happens all the time. And it happens in major stories in politics etc. Part of it is ratings (money) and part of it is human nature. Also, how many email forwards do you get about some story that is meant to outrage you until someone on the email string checks Snopes? People tend to believe things. I'm just glad he never tweeted a picture of his junk.

BGIF

Varsity Club
Reaction score
ESPN's First Take has done about 45 minutes on Te'o's "Love Story". Essentially Bayless and Stephen A. with Cari Champion as moderator.

Bayless believes Swarbrick and Notre Dame believe. Stephen also believes Swarbrick/ND believe. Both are skeptical of the holes in the story. They both acknowledge all the facts may not be out.

Now they're talking about the draft. Champion showed Kuyper's board at #6 (not #8 as M&M reported ... so he wasn't sentenced to Buffalo). Apparently Manti was ranked #2 before the NCG.

Both detailed why they feel he will drop significantly in the draft. In their view best case scenario he was terribly naive which showed poor judgement and worse case scenario as egregious a liar as Armstrong.

Christian Fauria now on commenting on impact of this saga on NCG performance. He feels 25% of the missed tackles were due to this and 75% due to superior OLine/RBs.

Bayless felt 25/75 fair. "Te'o wasn't there in the first half."

Smith dissented due to significance of NCG.

Fauria cited his personal experience playing with emotional issues in his head.

Smith countered that being duped was one thing being caught in the lie and having to face being caught could effect his game.

While they disagreed on the dupe/lie they all agreed it impacted his performance significantly.

They're into a second hour "more to come after the break".

BGIF

Varsity Club
Reaction score
All these media outlets are reporting that Te'o was hoaxed, but how are they not victims of this hoax, too? They spent tons of time and money on interviews, specials, and features with Te'o almost strictly about this. I guess it just amazes me that no one would put two and two together.

They were victims AND they were unwitting participants which explains their anger and denial now.

James40

Reaction score
Is there a reason why he didn't visit her when she had Leukemia? Or why he didn't go to her funeral?

BGIF

Varsity Club
Reaction score
First Take

Gene Wojciechowski defended his interview with Te'o. He claims he did look for death certificate but didn't push it. He claims he asked for a phone number to contact her family and for a picture. He said Te'o said the family said no as they wanted their privacy.

Smith asked if it was possible that Swarbrick/ND was trying to protect the player that restored the program. Woj spoke highly of Swarbrick. He finds it hard to believe Swarbrick would be so definitive and so emotioal if Notre Dame did not believe Te'o was duped. "Swarbrick does no suffer fools"

dudesthisisthebest

Reaction score
While they disagreed on the dupe/lie they all agreed it impacted his performance significantly.

If we just take everything Manti said about Lennay as his actual feelings then I think it having a 'significant impact' would be an understatement. My mind would be completely elsewhere knowing the shear magnitude of what the fake relationship meant.

Now I know people have reported that Te'o may have embellished how close the two were and there are still a lot of holes. We will find out more later today hopefully.

G

Grahambo

Mr. Swarbrick has softened the blow. I've seen some ease up due to Mr. Swarbrick. Forde and Thamel believe him.

Polish Leppy 22

Reaction score
Swarbrick is a sharp dude and a lawyer who brought in an investigative team to figure out what happened.

For Jack to go "all in" behind Manti and defend him tells me it's beyond doubt that Manti was duped here. God, I hope...

Veer option

Anti sarcasm font
Reaction score
Is there a reason why he didn't visit her when she had Leukemia?

Manti isnt from a family of means, so i dont think he can jet off to Hawaii anytime he feels like it. ND cant buy him tickets because I am sure that would be a violation. Though it does beg the question wouldn't he have visited her during the summer? Did he stay in South Bend all summer?

Or why he didn't go to her funeral?

IIRC her "funeral" was the day of or the day after the Michigan State game.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
TMZ ‏@TMZ
Manti Te'o Scandal -- Notre Dame Tells Staff KEEP YOUR MOUTHS SHUT Manti Te'o Scandal -- Notre Dame Tells Staff KEEP YOUR MOUTHS SHUT | TMZ.com

Only reason I saw this is b/c the idiot Mike Valenti RT it and I have been in a back and forth argument with him for about an hour. This whole thing sucks.

What else would anyone expect? This story has taken more twist and turns than the Beast at Kings Island. Very few and I mean very few people really know what happened so it only makes sense.