Grow Up!

scUM Hater

Live to see scUM lose.
Reaction score
First, I would like to say I am in no way directing this to any ND players (see Vontaze Burfict).......but.........So sick of all the pampering to these kids nowadays. In my opinion, if you are in college, you are an adult. Kids go to the military, fight and die, that are the same age as these college athletes. Hate that people defend college athletes when they do stupid things by saying they are just kids. True, we all all make mistakes, but lets stop saying "They are kids".............

DSully1995

Reaction score
Easy solution, stop putting so much pressure on these kids and you wont see their mishaps.

Did you get national coverage at the age of 18?

G

Grahambo

Easy solution, stop putting so much pressure on these kids and you wont see their mishaps.

I never got national coverage but I did go to war.

Boo hoo, they get national coverage. They choose to participate, nobody is forcing them. Yeah, if they want a better life, they gotta go along for the ride but get over it. I had to grow up real quick at 17, they can too and they play football.

INFIDEL STRONG

Reaction score
I agree, seen more pressure at the age of 18 then these kids will EVER...Pressure? Try being shot at by AK-47's and RPG's and trying to remain calm while commanding your men and NOT getting them killed, that's pressure!

Or pulling your buddies out of a burning Humvee after you just got hit with a daisy chain IED all the while assbags are nailing you from all directions with AK's...

National coverage LMFAO what a joke!

Reaction score
First, I would like to say I am in no way directing this to any ND players (see Vontaze Burfict).......but.........So sick of all the pampering to these kids nowadays. In my opinion, if you are in college, you are an adult. Kids go to the military, fight and die, that are the same age as these college athletes. Hate that people defend college athletes when they do stupid things by saying they are just kids. True, we all all make mistakes, but lets stop saying "They are kids".............

what is this stemming from? sorry, haven't been on IE all day.. did something happen?

ugo2011

Reaction score
Pressure, good one. That must be why HS players avoid twitter, reporters, and announcement ceremonies at all costs... they hate being in the limelight.

BGIF

Varsity Club
Reaction score

No, but if I had 69,000 followers on twitter, my own collection of choreographed YouTube videos, had sent my videos to every recruiting service in existence, participated in Regional and National Combines, called the recruiting services to report my whereabouts, what I had for breakfast, what gear I was sporting today, whose campus I was visiting, what team I rooted for when I was 5, shopped around my ht, wt, 40, BP, and had my friends and family posting info on fan websites, I might have.

There are kids that shun the South Beach spotlight and those that crave it. And there are lots of college student athletes that stay out of trouble.

JughedJones

Banned
Reaction score
Different people are different.

Your brain isn't fully developed until your 26, some of these kids are still kids.

And believe me, I understand that some 18 year olds go off to war, but that doesn't mean some of them aren't absolute morons who shouldn't be anywhere near a weapon.

Some kids do well in a high pressure college environment, some handle war well... many don't.

They're kids.

G

Grahambo

Your brain isn't fully developed until your 26, some of these kids are still kids.

And believe me, I understand that some 18 year olds go off to war, but that doesn't mean some of them aren't absolute morons who shouldn't be anywhere near a weapon.

Some kids do well in a high pressure college environment, some handle war well... many don't.

They're kids.

Actually, some are absolute morons who should be near a weapon. Sounds dumb but it's true. I've come across my fair share of guys who I would absolutely want to be in a foxhole with when the poo hit the fan but trying to converse with them about anything, well, yeah, that's a whole different story.

scUM Hater

Live to see scUM lose.
Reaction score
This post I created is mostly a point of view from the last couple of years of all the coverage and boo hoo I hear from these kids and those who defend them. Some of these kids are getting educations worth 50k a year. It is a business, learn how to deal with real life.

K

koonja

SemiPro__0058_Layer-24.jpg

Let me show you what I learned, when I was in ****ing nam!

JughedJones

Banned
Reaction score
This post I created is mostly a point of view from the last couple of years of all the coverage and boo hoo I hear from these kids and those who defend them. Some of these kids are getting educations worth 50k a year. It is a business, learn how to deal with real life.

Well, they are learning how to 'deal with it,' at a university.

Some kids have an easier time than others.

Remember, many of these kids wouldn't be going to a place like Notre Dame (or any college for that matter) if they couldn't play football. Many are from a wildly different place than you are, trying to fit each of them into your life experience and learned wisdom isn't logical.

frankygoes69

Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to wear several pieces of athletic named brand clothing, foot wear, and equipment in combat and me and my buddies would joke around and say that we would wear their (certain companies) clothing, etcl.. in return for sponsership. It's all about the attention and money. We provide the attention make SOME of these kids feel like they are above the rest of the world.

Not there fault, however, the become accustomed to being the center of attention, just like our one, two, three, and the list goes on year olds. If you really think about it, it is social media, which is addicting. All of us come here and TOS's to see who is coming, who is going, what issues are brewing, and so on. I try and try and try to not follow anything but it does not happen. Again, these kids need and want the attention good, bad, and whatever. It makes them more profitable in whatever they are going to do, long or short term.

As adults, we all should be looking at our long term goals. Most kids only think about what they are going to eat in a half hour, who they are going to hang out with, or whatever they are going to do!

In the military, I had people thinking for me in the begining with constant training. Progressed to leadership, then to trainer, and eventually THE BOSS. All we can do is to preach the importance of commitment, integrity, and following through with what we say we are going to do. There are times when it is out of our reach to accomplish our goal, but it is up to our parents and leadership to guide us into the right path, good for them or us. IT IS WHAT IT IS....

Go Irish!!!

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
Not making excuses, but the lack of assertive, positive, parental/adult involvement in some of these situations is another major factor.
Especially among recruits, who presumably still live at home and have high school coaches, etc.

frankygoes69

Reaction score
Agreed. Parent see their kids receiving attention and then look to their childrens potential future as professional athletes and become DUMB! We all want our kids to be sucsessful, but at what costs? Teach them, train them, and most importantly listen to them. They should not be looked at as cash cows..... Be there for them and guide them to the best of their abilities. Hopefully for the betterment of the child.

Redbar

Reaction score
Well, they are learning how to 'deal with it,' at a university.

Some kids have an easier time than others.

Remember, many of these kids wouldn't be going to a place like Notre Dame (or any college for that matter) if they couldn't play football. Many are from a wildly different place than you are, trying to fit each of them into your life experience and learned wisdom isn't logical.

They're kids.

^^ I think you understood my point.

Reps!

phgreek

Reaction score
...I see what the OP is saying. I'll just ad this. Each man's (or Kid's) cross to bare is relative to his situation...its human nature.

What most people lack is perspective. When it comes to athletes, its almost like everyone around them conspires to create a moron with no perspective, and so the cross they bare is pretty small...nonetheless, what else do they know.

I still try to give kids a break...even when they are morons with no perspective, because the hope is they'll grow up, and figure things out.

frankygoes69

Reaction score
...I see what the OP is saying. I'll just ad this. Each man's (or Kid's) cross to bare is relative to his situation...its human nature.

What most people lack is perspective. When it comes to athletes, its almost like everyone around them conspires to create a moron with no perspective, and so the cross they bare is pretty small...nonetheless, what else do they know.

I still try to give kids a break...even when they are morons with no perspective, because the hope is they'll grow up, and figure things out.

That in itself is the hard part. We do not want our kids to be looked at as meat or morons. I guess it can be thought of as winning the lottery. Jackpot baby. Teach the kids to be more than just athletes and then we can begin to talk future. JMHO...

Irish YJ

Southsida
Reaction score
It's just the way $#!+ is these days. I'm not saying this applies to all, but these days a lot of parents don't parent, and a lot of kids don't have a clue about work ethic, loyalty, keeping your word, tradition, etc... Again, not saying this applies to everyone, but I'm 42 and what I see today is far different from the Catholic/Italian/Irish environment I grew up in. Bottom line, it's just a reality we have to stomach. And I sure don't see it getting any better anytime soon. Not a pessimist, just a realist.

phgreek

Reaction score
That in itself is the hard part. We do not want our kids to be looked at as meat or morons. I guess it can be thought of as winning the lottery. Jackpot baby. Teach the kids to be more than just athletes and then we can begin to talk future. JMHO...

No argument here...

frankygoes69

Reaction score
We need to teach our kids not the social media. For the love of all things good. There is too much out there for them and us to check on an hourly, minutely, and secondy basis.

JughedJones

Banned
Reaction score

We need to teach our kids not the social media. For the love of all things good. There is too much out there for them and us to check on an hourly, minutely, and secondy basis.

amen

frankygoes69

Reaction score
Quick question/s to all or some that post here. How many of you/us are what we thought we would be? How many of us are hoping our klids live our dreams? If they do not follow our/their dreams, is that a bust?

JughedJones

Banned
Reaction score
Quick question/s to all or some that post here. How many of you/us are what we thought we would be? How many of us are hoping our klids live our dreams? If they do not follow our/their dreams, is that a bust?

If they didn't follow their dreams, that would be a bit of a bust right? Following my dreams of running out of the tunnel with the golden helmet...... well that's on me.

I just hope they're happy and do their best with what they're capable of. Whatever that may be.