Everything Soccer

gregm83

Reaction score

Jiggafini19Deux

What do you hillbillies want?
Reaction score
Can Chelsea stay the fuck away from Brighton players. There are other teams.
If you are Brighton, do you want them to? They're breaking transfer records for defensive midfielders and Irish teenagers. They're being idiots. Let them. The way Brighton runs their team, they'll have money stocked away and will keep finishing higher in the table than Chelsea anyway.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
1705945270646.png
Total business done in the English Premier League so far this month.

I assume Brighton is going to twat Chelsea with these two teenagers soon for over $200M total.

CTIDANDREW

Reaction score
View attachment 3055317
Total business done in the English Premier League so far this month.

I assume Brighton is going to twat Chelsea with these two teenagers soon for over $200M total.
Very smart ownership group, and scouting department.
Their move to get Caicedo to sign a contract extension in March of last season, gave them even more leverage over the suitors that were after him this past summer. Genius
They probably only spent a few hundred thousand more in weekly wages on him from March through August, but probably improved thier transfer fee by 20-30M.

It will be interesting to see how they finish the rest of this season.
They have the squad to compete for that last spot in the top 4, but have built themselves quite a hole to dig out of.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
Very smart ownership group, and scouting department.
Their move to get Caicedo to sign a contract extension in March of last season, gave them even more leverage over the suitors that were after him this past summer. Genius
They probably only spent a few hundred thousand more in weekly wages on him from March through August, but probably improved thier transfer fee by 20-30M.

It will be interesting to see how they finish the rest of this season.
They have the squad to compete for that last spot in the top 4, but have built themselves quite a hole to dig out of.
Their back room staff has been picked apart because of the sustainable business model they've displayed over the last few years, most notable being Newcastle taking on Dan Ashworth as Sporting Director, but they're still doing a very good job.

21/22 Departures, they made $78.80M headlined by Ben White sale to Arsenal.

22/23 Departures, they made $137.90M headlined by Marc Cucarella sale to Chelsea.

23/24 Departures, they made $195.90M headlined by Moises Caicedo sale to Chelsea.

They are currently a point behind Manchester United with a match in hand and ahead of both Newcastle and Chelsea in the table. Defeated Tottenham 4-2 on 12/28/23 and won Group B in the Europa League.

Mitoma and Ferguson are probably next in line for them to cash in on this summer.

No oil, oligarchs, consortiums or American ownership group funneling them millions of dollars. They do a great job of scouting out players and finding them.

nsisk157

Reaction score

Was this expected? I’ve been a bit out of the loop on the prem lately

I think it was always expected for him to leave but in light of his extension, it is a bit of a shock. But he has indicated in the past on his shelf life at Liverpool. I am curious to see where he ends up next. I immediately texted my cousin that the USMNT needs to go after him after Gregg fumbles La Copa America in the summer. One can dream.

CTIDANDREW

Reaction score
The Pep vs Jurgen rivalry will be one that will be spoken about forever.
Two great managers and two great teams for over half a decade
Props to Jurgen on a great run, and the tension this now brings to this last final title race between them.
Cannot wait!

Last two thoughts:
1. Jurgen brought his BvB squad to the Etihad back in 2012 and completely punished City for 90 minutes. No idea how City got out of there with a draw. Joe Hart stood on his head for 90 minutes. It was a footballing masterclass
()
2. Every champions league final his squad played in over the last decade, which I believe is four has been a great footballing spectacle. Which as we all know can sometimes not be the case when it comes to finals in that sport.
I'll always be disappointed that City blew it in the final minutes vs Madrid a few years ago, and deprived the footballing world from the pinnacle of the Jurgen vs Pep rivalry.

In my opinion, he will likely take a sabbatical year and then see where the best spot for him is.
He will have his fair share of suitors.
My guess for Liverpool would to be to go after Xabi Alanso, but we shall see.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
I'd tap Alonso for Real Madrid before Liverpool by a country mile. City and Real were the two clubs that stood in Klopp's way during his tenure at Liverpool. Alonso played at a high level for both Liverpool and Real. I can't imagine if given the choice he's going to choose Liverpool over Real Madrid.

As for Klopp, he was the only thing that kept England from being Bundesliga West. Went toe to toe with the blue behemoth and won everything there was to win. This has to hurt the league overall going forward, and once Guardiola is gone, the two big personalities of that league will leave a massive void. Arteta, Pochettino, Emery, etc. don't bring it like those two guys do.

My hope is when both retire, someone does a documentary of Klopp and Guardiola sitting at a cafe somewhere outdoors just talking football. You'd need closed captioning, but it would be must see TV. Get a 30 for 30 going too while we're at it.

Old Man Mike

Fast as Lightning!
Reaction score
... not sure what can keep me rooting for Liverpool when the great manager/Man leaves.
The endgame fist pumps and team celebration were some of my favorite sport moments.
What a coach. Loved the wolfpack mid-field soccer.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
Maidstone's upset of Ipswich in the FA Cup is exactly what the FA Cup is all about.

It was fun to watch. Two shots on goal, two goals.

CTIDANDREW

Reaction score

American owners (Glazers, Kroenke, and Henry) are getting exactly what they wanted.

A free run at the lucrative european places every season, because the smaller clubs in the league are afraid to break rules that they came up with to keep the PL a league of the have and the have nots

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
American owners (Glazers, Kroenke, and Henry) are getting exactly what they wanted.

A free run at the lucrative european places every season, because the smaller clubs in the league are afraid to break rules that they came up with to keep the PL a league of the have and the have nots
Your take to single out the American owners is interesting in comparison (minus Chelsea) when the people over in England are grouping the supposed "Big Six" (2 Mancs, the three London Clubs and Liverpool) together as the beneficiaries of the newly found adherence to PSR/FFP. My sample size is mostly a group of people in Manchester that work for a sister company of my employer. I speak to them weekly and we always talk football at the end of our Zoom meetings.

I actually found it rather interesting that when Newcastle's takeover occured, the governance of English Football had a very keen interest in enforcing existing rules in addition to creating new ones. They didn't want a Frankenstein on their hands. The English FA are going to have more rigid rules than UEFA in the years ahead. The bigger and certainly more clever clubs are going to find ways to circumvent the system because they always do. Chelsea was already pulling shenanigans giving out long term contracts to try to bend around the rules.

They way they have handled Everton and Nottingham Forest has everyone on pause, in addition to the marathon investigating they've done involving Manchester City. It doesn't appear genuine in my eyes. It's a shock and awe show for effect. It feels like a typical sports governing body in that they're reactive rather than proactive and always behind the curve of what the clubs are doing.

CTIDANDREW

Reaction score
Your take to single out the American owners is interesting in comparison (minus Chelsea) when the people over in England are grouping the supposed "Big Six" (2 Mancs, the three London Clubs and Liverpool) together as the beneficiaries of the newly found adherence to PSR/FFP. My sample size is mostly a group of people in Manchester that work for a sister company of my employer. I speak to them weekly and we always talk football at the end of our Zoom meetings.

I actually found it rather interesting that when Newcastle's takeover occured, the governance of English Football had a very keen interest in enforcing existing rules in addition to creating new ones. They didn't want a Frankenstein on their hands. The English FA are going to have more rigid rules than UEFA in the years ahead. The bigger and certainly more clever clubs are going to find ways to circumvent the system because they always do. Chelsea was already pulling shenanigans giving out long term contracts to try to bend around the rules.

They way they have handled Everton and Nottingham Forest has everyone on pause, in addition to the marathon investigating they've done involving Manchester City. It doesn't appear genuine in my eyes. It's a shock and awe show for effect. It feels like a typical sports governing body in that they're reactive rather than proactive and always behind the curve of what the clubs are doing.
I don't think I'm really coming to any crazy conclusion on this.
American ownership is rampant in the PL.
I believe it's up to about half the current clubs now.

None of those ten ownership groups bought thier respected clubs, because of a deep love for the club or thier traditions, they did so because they looked at it as a business opportunity. In my opinion, no different then the middle east ownerships of Manchester City, and Newcastle.
I think it's fair to say that business opportunity has been a very profitable one for each of John Henry, Glazer family, and Stan Kroenke.
The best way to keep that gravy train going is to stack the deck against those below them, and keep profits stabilized or improving.
The best way to do that is outspend your competition, and keep your returning profits higher (a.k.a. European football money)

It is what it is.
I'm a Manchester City fan. I'm at peace with where my club falls into all this.
If there is indisputable evidence (which I have still yet to see any after half a decade of these allegations) that they did break the established rules (even if I don't agree with them) then they deserve to be punished.
What that punishment will be if found guilty is hopefully a fair one. Time will tell..

I honestly don't know what the best path forward is for the sport.
COVID-19 really thew everything into a tailspin, as we can see with what is going on at Barca right now.
Liverpool is one of the biggest clubs in the world, and didn't seem to get any serious contenders for thier purchase when Henry allegedly put them up for sale last year.

It just seems wrong to me to not allow Everton or Nottingham Forest to spend money to compete with the Big 6 if they have an ownership group that is willing to do so, and absorb those losses for the fans.
The inability with these rules to allow that to happen, leaves a sour taste in my mouth about what the future holds for the sport and league I love.

Last edited:

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
I don't think I'm really coming to any crazy conclusion on this.
American ownership is rampant in the PL.
I believe it's up to about half the current clubs now.

None of those ten ownership groups bought thier respected clubs, because of a deep love for the club or thier traditions, they did so because they looked at it as a business opportunity.
I think it's fair to say that business opportunity has been a very profitable one for each of John Henry, Glazer family, and Stan Kroenke.
The best way to keep that gravy train going is to stack the deck against those below them, and keep profits stabilized or improving.
The best way to do that is outspend your competition, and keep your returning profits higher (a.k.a. European football money)

It is what it is.
I'm a Manchester City fan. I'm at peace with where my club falls into all this.
If there is indisputable evidence (which I have still yet to see any after half a decade of these allegations) that they did break the established rules (even if I don't agree with them) then they deserve to be punished.
What that punishment will be if found guilty is hopefully a fair one. Time will tell..

I honestly don't know what the best path forward is for the sport.
COVID-19 really thew everything into a tailspin, as we can see with what is going on at Barca right now.
Liverpool is one of the biggest clubs in the world, and didn't seem to get any serious contenders for thier purchase when Henry allegedly put them up for sale last year.

It just seems wrong to me to not allow Everton or Nottingham Forest to spend money to compete with the Big 6 if they have an ownership group that is willing to do so, and absorb those losses for the fans.
The inability with these rules to allow that to happen, leaves a sour taste in my mouth about what the future holds for the sport and league I love.
The Big Six have four American ownership groups. Tottenham and Manchester City are the two that do not. 9 clubs are majority American owned. This is all on the heels of Sir Jim Radcliffe buying his way into Manchester United recently. Everyone else is trying to make the Big Six a Big Eight or even Big 10. It's easier said than done. Brighton and Brentford do business differently than West Ham and Newcastle. Newcastle probably has the best chance of breaking into the country club, but it sure seemed like their sale and eventual ascent got a lot of people nervous.

The English Premier League is flush with money right now. Serie A and La Liga never really recovered from the Great Recession. Covid was an extra punch in the nuts for them. There are certainly cautionary tales to be found all around Europe. Everton and West Ham come to mind. There are always going to be haves and have nots no matter what they attempt to do. The first thing Newcastle did was hire Ashworth from Brighton for their recruitment. The big clubs not only finance the best players, they get the best boot room staff too.

So long as a club has a good manager and can pay good wages, players are going to go there.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
Burnley and Sheffield are going down. Who the third is that joins them seems to be the question. If Everton gets hit with another point deduction, there's the answer.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
1572.jpg