College Football Playoff Expansion?

ACamp1900

Counting my ‘bet against ND’ winnings
Reaction score
So ND can never get a first round bye?? Fun times

greyhammer90

the drunk piano player
Reaction score
They need to find a way to keep the regular season important, I agree. But again looking at last year, is it really in the best interest of the sport to have Oregon, Iowa and Wake in the playoffs instead of Ole Miss, Ohio State and Sparty? Those were all lesser teams, but they won divisions and the other guys didn’t.

I don't know how someone can claim that the regular season needs to remain important, but is also ok with a team that couldn't even win its division within its conference should be entitled to the playoffs. I agree that Ole Miss, Ohio State, and Sparty looked better on my TV, but the eyeball test is a terrible metric to base anything on. Again, it's about giving ESPN less power to hand select what teams they want, versus making a team actually earn it on the field during the regular season.

Divisions are so random. The Big 12 doesn’t even have them.

You know the conferences control the divisions right? They move them around all the time, the SEC is about to probably move a bunch of teams around to make way for their new acquisitions. It's their club, they'll figure out a way to make it fair.

greyhammer90

the drunk piano player
Reaction score
12 is way too many. 6 to 8 would have opened it up to parity but not allow 9-3 teams to get in. Really hurts the regular season.

Agree. 8 would've been fine. 5 conference champs, 3 at large. If ND isn't good enough to comfortably be within the 3 at-large bids with our $ making potential, we wouldn't have won anything anyway. 12 is just greed.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
I don't know how someone can claim that the regular season needs to remain important, but is also ok with a team that couldn't even win its division within its conference should be entitled to the playoffs. I agree that Ole Miss, Ohio State, and Sparty looked better on my TV, but the eyeball test is a terrible metric to base anything on.

I guess I think if we are going to have playoffs they should include the best teams, not just effectively give an autobid to whatever middleweight emerges from the ACC Coastal Division and whoever wins the Wisconsin-Iowa game.

ACamp1900

Reaction score
12 is way too many. 6 to 8 would have opened it up to parity but not allow 9-3 teams to get in. Really hurts the regular season.
Should have just kept the bowls as they were and if there were ever doubt about number 1 we have a plus one, most years it wouldn’t even be needed, but that would kill the dollar signs which I’d the whole point here. That way would have kept regionality, the bowls would be must see tv again and it would be the best way to crown a REAL champ,… this cluster is just ‘whoever wins the playoff’ and it’s more for money and tv ratings than actually crowning anything legit.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
Should have just kept the bowls as they were and if there were ever doubt about number 1 we have a plus one. It would have kept regionality, the bowls would be must see tv again and it would be the best way to crown a REAL champ,… this cluster is just ‘whoever wins the playoff’ and it’s more for money and tv ratings than actually crowning anything legit.

This right here. Do all the bowls the old-fashioned way. When they’re done, if there’s doubt, throw another game together on like Jan. 8. The Rose Bowl is usually empty that time of year.

greyhammer90

the drunk piano player
Reaction score
I guess I think if we are going to have playoffs they should include the best teams, not just effectively give an autobid to whatever middleweight emerges from the ACC Coastal Division and whoever wins the Wisconsin-Iowa game.

And I think if a team isn't good enough to make their own conference champsionship game, they shouldn't be allowed to play for the NC. No system is ever going to be perfect, I want things decided on the field and not via eyeball test. I'd rather give a plucky Wisconsin team a shot over having the media give an underperforming OSU a second chance because they're more marketable.

I agree overall that the playoffs were a bad idea though. They've been made even worse today.

Reaction score
Yes, but 11-1 gets us in every time.
This would probably also be the case if we were in a conference, but with the added probability of being conference champ and getting a bye.

I think the format is kind to ND in both scenarios. But as of right now, if winning a championship is the goal, I think the route is better being in a conference and having the chance for a bye. Much easier to go 2-0 in the playoffs than playing the extra game and having to go 3-0.

IrishLion

I am Beyonce, always.
Staff member
Reaction score
You’re all making good points about 12 being too many.

Counterpoint: think of the juicy intrigue and rematch potential from last year’s bracket!

ND getting another shot at UC! Ohio State getting to pound scUM in return! Pitt getting absolutely molly-whopped by UGA!

3965282B-613D-4273-AA58-40F9C98EB081.jpeg

Dale

Reaction score
So ND can never get a first round bye?? Fun times

or another way of viewing it, we actually always get a first round bye.

At the conclusion of everyone’s 12 team schedule:

An undefeated ND plays: BYE (conference championship weekend) then at large playoff game at home

Alabama, Georgia etc play: Conference Championship on a neutral site then BYE or at large

House16

Reaction score

An undefeated ND plays: BYE (conference championship weekend) then at large playoff game at home

Alabama, Georgia etc play: Conference Championship on a neutral site then BYE or at large
I’ve seen a ton of people say this and it’s a false equivalency. Lots of teams that lose the CCG will make the playoff, while if we lose in the first round we’re out. If there was a rule that every conference championship game loser is disqualified from the playoff, then it would be even.

AvesEvo

Reaction score

The board approved the following:

1. The 12 teams will be the six conference champions ranked highest by the selection committee (no minimum ranking requirement), plus the six highest-ranked teams not included among the six highest-ranked conference champions.

2. The ranking of the teams will continue to be done by a selection committee whose size, composition, and method of selection will remain substantially unchanged. The Management Committee will modify the selection protocol as required by the change to the playoff structure.

3. The four highest-ranked conference champions will be seeded one through four and each will receive a first-round bye.

4. The other eight teams will play in the first round with the higher seeds hosting the lower seeds either on campus or at other sites designated by the higher-seeded institution (No. 12 at No. 5, No. 11 at No. 6, No. 10 at No. 7 and No. 9 at No. 8.)
Isn't this they exact format that was voted down last summer?

ACamp1900

Reaction score

Ways I most definitely will NOT be looking at it for 500 Alex.

Dale

Reaction score
I’ve seen a ton of people say this and it’s a false equivalency. Lots of teams that lose the CCG will make the playoff, while if we lose in the first round we’re out. If there was a rule that every conference championship game loser is disqualified from the playoff, then it would be even.

If we lose in the first round against a likely 2-3 loss team at home? That’s our problem more than the system’s structure.

Sure they are not exact equals, I’ll take our situation though. And it’s the one we probably deserve tbh. That rebuttal involves us losing to a worse team. The scenario where you lose in the conference championship and then still make the playoff you’re inherently losing to a team seeded way higher than what we would play.

Blazers46

My adjectives are wise, brilliant and handsome.
Reaction score
I would think this solidifies Notre Dame joining a conference. Notre Dame can enjoy their independence until this format is adopted. If you were a recruit this would not taste well knowing at best you would be at the bottom of the bracket.

Luckylucci

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I love the 12 teams. While I don't think we're going see a lot of 12's beating 1's or 11's beating 2's. It opens up the chance that teams that are playing better at the end of the year can keep that momentum going. I understand the thought that it waters down the regular season but I also think the regular season being more forgiving can be a good thing. Like with all sports, teams should be improving throughout the year and I want to see those teams keep playing. No doubt will there will be entertaining upsets with this. It also, theoretically, keeps more players engaged in the post season versus bowl game sit outs.

ACamp1900

Reaction score
I would think this solidifies Notre Dame joining a conference. Notre Dame can enjoy their independence until this format is adopted. If you were a recruit this would not taste well knowing at best you would be at the bottom of the bracket.
We should join the mountain west,… just to go unbeaten every year and purposely fuck the whole system up

Dale

Reaction score
You’re all making good points about 12 being too many.

Counterpoint: think of the juicy intrigue and rematch potential from last year’s bracket!

ND getting another shot at UC! Ohio State getting to pound scUM in return! Pitt getting absolutely molly-whopped by UGA!

View attachment 3051403

It’d sign up for a world where SEC team #1 is usually #1 and team #2 is usually #6. NDs distaster scenario is getting seeded behind someone who loses in conference championship weekend. If they are usually 5, when deserved, it’s a path you’d sign up for.

NDokie13

Reaction score
So of the teams that don’t get a bye, they said the higher ranked team has the option to host the lower ranked team. Would be cool to see a playoff game in South Bend in December, particularly against a Southern school not used to the cold. Another bizarre things is the TV rights for the playoffs. Not sure but would this open up the possibility of ESPN broadcasting an ND home game in the playoff? Very bizarre scenario if so.

Reaction score

Jack in June of 2021

Basically the same for the Irish… except if we lose we’re out, whereas a team that loses in the CCG can still make the playoffs.

It’s an extra game, but do we really think many of these 13 game schedules won’t stack up with ND’s 12 game schedules?

We now have to win three straight against top-12 teams to win a natty. Which is fine, but the honest interpretation (to me, at least) is it it will be significantly harder to win it all as an independent - I just don’t think it’s worth it.

ACamp1900

Reaction score
it’s not the same,… at all,… join a fucking conference if you’re going to sign off on this shit show

NDPhilly

Philly Torqued
Reaction score
If ND can't get a first round bye, then we have to join a conference. It’s over. We aren’t playing for playoff births. This is Notre Dame.

GATTACA!

It's about to get gross
Reaction score
Basically the same for the Irish… except if we lose we’re out, whereas a team that loses in the CCG can still make the playoffs.

It’s an extra game, but do we really think many of these 13 game schedules won’t stack up with ND’s 12 game schedules?

We now have to win three straight against top-12 teams to win a natty. Which is fine, but the honest interpretation (to me, at least) is it it will be significantly harder to win it all as an independent - I just don’t think it’s worth it.
But the team that loses the CCG and still makes it will play in the first round anyways. Hypothetically if we joined the B1G it’s more likely than not that we’d lose to OSU in the B1G CCG. I’d rather just get a winnable matchup against someone like Utah at ND stadium.