College Football: End of an Era

Jiggafini19Deux

What do you hillbillies want?
Reaction score
of all the problems with the commercialization of college football, a few select players getting paid some fraction of their market value is literally the lowest on the list.
I agree, but when you think about the demographic that is the average college football fan, you can completely understand why those guys put the lower part of that list up at the top. Most of them were not even as good as Al Bundy in high school but feel as though these athletes today are entitled and coddled.

Old Man Mike

Fast as Lightning!
Reaction score
An irrelevant fact perhaps to this discussion, but it is a discussion simply hollering into a tornado heading its own Money-Rules-All way anyway": Josh Lugg graduated and picked up a couple of preseason checks from the Bears before getting cut on the last practice squad sifting. What did he do? He decided to go into business using his education. He became the onsite partner of a real estate type business with two other guys. He is the South Bend person, while his partners (named Kraemer and Eichenberg) are off pursuing alternative income flows elsewhere. The Point? I dunno. Maybe that education IS really worth something?

LOVEMYIRISH

old timer
Reaction score
I don't know what your background is but 100k+ of loans isn't super easy to pay off for 90-95% of the population. It should 100% be factored into the equation as 'pay' and the relative value of the degree after attainment should be factored in by smart families.

Bad paternalism is telling a player to go to the highest bidder if they are forfeiting other opportunities that could improve their life even more (or improve the % chance of a good life). This isn't a single variable decision. And acting like going to the highest bidder is the supreme consideration for a 'well-guided paternalism' is equally misguided. Completely free markets disintegrate over time. There must be rules or laws added to pressurize the market when we see exploitation or danger of abuse. Also, we tend to see a small number of companies thrive as they grow bigger, choking out the competition merely due to the cost of entry. We might see this where there isn't 1 or 2 monopolies but there might be 15-20 schools that take 90% of the playoff spots over the next 2 decades.

All that to say, it'd be great if we had a thoughtful governing body who could work on crafting laws to respond to the current situation. And I'm all for supremely talented people being rewarded for their talents but the system in it's current state is flawed and rife with abuse.
The scholarship IS factored in...who says it isn't?

That is not paternalism at all. Definition: "the policy or practice on the part of people in positions of authority of restricting the freedom and responsibilities of those subordinate to them in the subordinates' supposed best interest."

I am not advising them or forcing them to do anything. I am saying they should not be restricted in their remuneration for the "sake of the game". I entirely agree that the NCAA could set up funds to benefit all, etc.

Veritate Duce Progredi

A man gotta have a code
Reaction score
The scholarship IS factored in...who says it isn't?

That is not paternalism at all. Definition: "the policy or practice on the part of people in positions of authority of restricting the freedom and responsibilities of those subordinate to them in the subordinates' supposed best interest."

I am not advising them or forcing them to do anything. I am saying they should not be restricted in their remuneration for the "sake of the game". I entirely agree that the NCAA could set up funds to benefit all, etc.
Fair point and honestly, I'm a bit disheartened.

I did not realize paternalism has taken on that meaning. I always thought paternalistic/paternalism was the effort to guide or direct someone in hopes of achieving the greatest possible outcome. No lie.

And a small diatribe: I hate how modern sentiments are resulting in catastrophic etymology. Everything related to the father figure is now viewed through the worst possible lens. Sorry for the mix-up, I didn't know the definition of the word I was arguing. No longer may you assume the Latin root-words associate as expected.

Last edited:

IAIrish

The Dude Abides
Reaction score
Question and forgive me if this was referenced in the prior comments.

If all of this chaos results in Notre Dame winning a championship in the next 3 years, will it change your perception of the change happening in cfb?

Old Man Mike

Fast as Lightning!
Reaction score
As I tend to hope for idealism, strangely it will not (unless unexpected other developments ensure the authenticity and integrity of the college sports ideal.)

LOVEMYIRISH

old timer
Reaction score
Fair point and honestly, I'm a bit disheartened.

I did not realize paternalism has taken on that meaning. I always thought paternalistic/paternalism was the effort to guide or direct someone in hopes of achieving the greatest possible outcome. No lie.

And a small diatribe: I hate how modern sentiments are resulting in catastrophic etymology. Everything related to the father figure is now viewed through the worst possible lens. Sorry for the mix-up, I didn't know the definition of the word I was arguing. No longer may you assume the Latin root-words associate as expected.
That's not the definition recently "taken on" at all. The definition I presented is old school John Stuart Mill...

"The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others. His own good, either physical or moral, is not a sufficient warrant. He cannot rightfully be compelled to do or forbear because it will be better for him to do so, because it will make him happier, because, in the opinion of others, to do so would be wise, or even right." - On Liberty, John Stuart Mill

Also:
"The only freedom which deserves the name is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs, or impede their efforts to obtain it. Each is the proper guardian of his own health, whether bodily, or mental or spiritual. Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest.” - On Liberty, John Stuart Mill

[I was one credit away from a double major in History and Politics, so Mill was common reading for me...I totally get what you are saying though based on where you were going]

irishandy

Reaction score
Oklahoma just accepted a 7th year senior QB in the portal...7th year in college!!!! 4th school. Just an absolute joke.
Wasn't it a year or 2 ago Oregon accepted a transfer who was in his 9th year.

Crazy to think this is the new era of college football.

When some of these kids have to face reality and realize that football isn't for them, it's going to hit them hard.

This new era is too easy and it feels more and more like a professional game instead of a college game.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
Wasn't it a year or 2 ago Oregon accepted a transfer who was in his 9th year.

Crazy to think this is the new era of college football.

When some of these kids have to face reality and realize that football isn't for them, it's going to hit them hard.

This new era is too easy and it feels more and more like a professional game instead of a college game.
I think, for most guys, if you're in your seventh year playing college football, you've probably come to peace with the notion that you're not destined to succeed in the NFL. If you were, you'd be there by now.

IRISHDODGER

Blue Chip Recruit
Reaction score
Oklahoma just accepted a 7th year senior QB in the portal...7th year in college!!!! 4th school. Just an absolute joke.
I remember his pops being on the cover of SI being cuffed & stuffed for dealing coke. Helluva wishbone QB who still had eligibility after his prison sentence so he played RB at Central State in Ohio where IIRC they won the NC.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
1705682876180.png

LOL.

Mr. Walberg is 72 years old and received an MA from Wheaton College in Wheaton, IL. I have nothing further.

Huntr

24 Karat Shamrock
Reaction score
So everyone is aware, especially everyone who does not like the current CFB landscape, if the NCAA loses this suit, they will likely be left with little to no enforcement capability.

The NCAA is on its deathbed and if you think stuff is broken now, lol, hang on.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
Pfffft. Courts.

Why can't things go back to normal when the only millionaire in the football building is the head coach who goes 6-6 and gets your program to the coveted Cheez It Bowl birth it's boosters so desperately desire?

greyhammer90

the drunk piano player
Reaction score
I'm not one to care much about stylistic things (like fonts), but that one in the complaint is much nicer than my Times New Roman or Arial default. :unsure:

I can't see the tweet, but it's probably Century Schoolbook (available on Word) or Adobe's Caslon Pro. Both are loved by attorneys and always looks sexy with small caps enabled.