Chicago Bears address

zelezo vlk

Reaction score
This is the most sobering comment that rings way too true.

I like the idea of Powers-Johnson holding down the center spot for the next decade plus if he is sitting there at their early 3rd round pick. Otherwise you will still have some top OG options on the board at that spot.
It's really unfortunate that Fields hasn't been able to take that next step because there is nothing unlikable about the guy. The problem is just that he has failed to develop enough as a passer to pass on an opportunity to take a QB with the #1 pick. Lots of people in here and all over Bears sites have mentioned getting a haul or picking up more weapons for Fields next year, but that just leaves us with the 2023 Atlanta Falcons offense: lots of talented skill players but extremely hampered at the QB position and a real chore to watch on offense.

BleedBlueGold

Reaction score
I've been a closet 49ers fan since I was a kid. And I'm not sure what the right answer is, but if the Bears manage to mess up back to back #1 picks, I'm having the biggest coming out party the world has ever seen. Bandwagon timing or not. Don't care.

zelezo vlk

Reaction score
I've been a closet 49ers fan since I was a kid. And I'm not sure what the right answer is, but if the Bears manage to mess up back to back #1 picks, I'm having the biggest coming out party the world has ever seen. Bandwagon timing or not. Don't care.
What? How did they screw up last year's pick? lol

FU BK

Reaction score
He's just overly confident they will this years.....same as me. At least I'll have more closet space for Irish and Blackhawks gear

sfk324

Reaction score
Not to mention DJ freaking Moore
I believe the argument is that they missed on the evaluation of Stroud or they would have kept the pick and drafted him at 1. I think that ignores a substantial amount of context, but that's usually how the argument goes.

Crazy Balki

Site Assigned Optimist
Reaction score
I believe the argument is that they missed on the evaluation of Stroud or they would have kept the pick and drafted him at 1. I think that ignores a substantial amount of context, but that's usually how the argument goes.
To say that Slowik's coaching and scheme innovations were crucial in Stroud having the year he had would be a MASSIVE understatement.

Getsy spent some time working under LaFleur and his time in GB was basically just holding Rodgers' clipboard. Slowik basically followed Shanahan everywhere he was at, and was directly behind Shanahan throughout their run of success in SF. He was instrumental in turning last year around and turning Brock Purdy, Mr. Irrelevant, into a quality starting QB in the league. It shouldn't shock anybody that Slowik managed to take somebody with significantly more talent and did what he did. Getsy never did anything like that and Stroud's development likely would've suffered as a result.

BleedBlueGold

Reaction score
What? How did they screw up last year's pick? lol

They didn't. I just being sarcastic and facetious. I'm so used to the Bears screwing things up that I'm just expecting something bad to happen that will piss me off.

He's just overly confident they will this years.....same as me. At least I'll have more closet space for Irish and Blackhawks gear

Basically this.

Jiggafini19Deux

What do you hillbillies want?
Reaction score
Poles is going to draft Caleb Williams. I don't think any kind of crazy trade package is going to change his mind, either.

That ninth pick is becoming far more intriguing to me now with that being said.

chisea03

Reaction score
Poles is going to draft Caleb Williams. I don't think any kind of crazy trade package is going to change his mind, either.

I’m hoping that he trades down, selecting a LT and I’d prefer a LG but a number two receiver not named Harrison Jr works also. I’d pass on Jr because of one fact, over his career at OSU, he’s disappeared in every game against ND and michigan.
But, I like the idea of protecting the blindside of your qb. A center in the 3rd would be good as well.

This is assuming that he’d get a haul for the 1st pick from a qb thirsty team with multiple picks in the first round (Denver or Saints)?

Southside Sully

Reaction score

I don’t think he is. Another great article out there

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
I fail to understand how Washington hiring Kliff Kingsbury is somehow going to force Ryan Poles' hand into trading away the first pick and or drafting another QB. If they determine Maye or Daniels is their guy, fine, but if they decide on Williams after everything then that's going to be that.

If they want Caleb Williams, they're going to draft him, which is exactly how they should proceed if that's what they feel is the right thing to do.

NDFAN420

Reaction score
I fail to understand how Washington hiring Kliff Kingsbury is somehow going to force Ryan Poles' hand into trading away the first pick and or drafting another QB. If they determine Maye or Daniels is their guy, fine, but if they decide on Williams after everything then that's going to be that.

If they want Caleb Williams, they're going to draft him, which is exactly how they should proceed if that's what they feel is the right thing to do.
I read earlier today that Wash reiterated that they're building through the draft and some speculated that they might even trade down. I don't follow them at all, so I'm not going to pretend to know if that's real or not. This is draft season for these teams, so I try to not believe anything they say. Anything could be for market manipulation.

But as you stated, Poles is in the driver's seat and nobody else is. What he wants to do impacts everybody else.

NDdomer2

Local Sports vBookie
Reaction score

I don't think I've seen anyone saying the kliff hire forces bears hand. I think most of the speculation comes from the idea that kliff is potentially preferred by the Williams camp from their time together during his Heisman season. Coupled with the simultaneous rumours of kliff & raiders and the raiders & bears. Then the sudden kliff to wash.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
I don't think I've seen anyone saying the kliff hire forces bears hand. I think most of the speculation comes from the idea that kliff is potentially preferred by the Williams camp from their time together during his Heisman season. Coupled with the simultaneous rumours of kliff & raiders and the raiders & bears. Then the sudden kliff to wash.
I think the Kliff hiring has had some people coming to some wild conclusions on apps, message boards, etc.

Caleb is from the DC area, too. Everyone gets all of that. None of it changes the fact that regardless of what these other teams do leading up to the draft, Ryan Poles has the number one pick in it and if we wants to draft Caleb Williams to play for the Bears, he's going to do that, and whatever everyone else is doing isn't going to matter if that is the decision they come down to.

I also question what positive influence Kliff had on Caleb Williams this past season. Was he THAT good for him, considering?

NDdomer2

Local Sports vBookie
Reaction score
I think the Kliff hiring has had some people coming to some wild conclusions on apps, message boards, etc.

Caleb is from the DC area, too. Everyone gets all of that. None of it changes the fact that regardless of what these other teams do leading up to the draft, Ryan Poles has the number one pick in it and if we wants to draft Caleb Williams to play for the Bears, he's going to do that, and whatever everyone else is doing isn't going to matter if that is the decision they come down to.

I also question what positive influence Kliff had on Caleb Williams this past season. Was he THAT good for him, considering?
Ya I think it's mostly fans who don't want Caleb hoping for a sign they don't have to deal with it when it happens. Which certainly looks like it's going to.

I'll be happy if it doesn't.

Hard to say on Kliff. But you know how these college kids can be. I mean Julian Sayin just chose OSU for Bill O'Brien who never coached him.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
7a8aaa77796c3a65654131f9eaad5428.jpg

If Otis Wilson doesn't injure his knee, there are four HOF in this photo. I have this in black and white autographed by all four. One of my favorite sports pics ever.

Devin Hester getting the Gold Jacket is beyond deserved. I was nervous about him getting due to finicky voters in but it shows just how good he was that it happened.