Chicago Bears address

Jiggafini19Deux

What do you hillbillies want?
Reaction score
I want to see another Super Bowl. Beating Green Bay and winning the North comes before that, but that isn't nor should it be the end goal.

They should be trying to get to and win Super Bowls.

Crazy Balki

Site Assigned Optimist
Reaction score
My concern is that CW ran an air-raid offense. It's an offense that relies on simplified route concepts, which makes getting rid of the ball and placing it in the right place a lot easier. The offense Getsy ran in Chicago was about as anti-air raid as you get. A lot of long-developing, deviating route patterns, it allows receivers to break off and improvise more. That's great if you have a great QB and receivers. Chicago had neither last year, which just cements that Getsy was the #1 problem. He failed to adjust the scheme to address the strengths and weaknesses of his personnel. Wasn't just a Fields problem, but outside of Moore, you had receivers out there running some SLOPPY ASS routes. Harder for a QB to place a ball when there's far less consistency as to where the receiver is going to be. Them being open is cool, but not if they're where you expect them to be. Some of that is Fields, but a lot of that is the generally poor route running from non-Moore receivers and Getsy's abysmal scheme that exacerbated the weaknesses on the team.

RDU Irish

Catholics vs. Cousins
Reaction score
A durability problem, a field vision problem, a can't pass between the hashmarks problem, a can't find an open receiver problem, a can only complete screens problem, a didn't improve at all last year problem. Half of his TD's came against Denver and Washington. I think that you see more in Fields than is there because of QB PTSD that being a Bears fan induces. ;)

I moved from Chicago right before they drafted Fields (I was very happy about that and keeping him last year was the right move) so I'm frankly a little shocked at the support he's been getting from fans.

The NFL & Bears fans see the decision on Caleb Williams vs Justin Fields VERY differently

These are all very good points on Fields, I am not saying he is the answer by any means. However, that does not mean Caleb Williams is going to be good. Playing in the cold for the Bears does not improve his chances of success. I think the best way forward is to upgrade talent across the offense to attract an above average free agent to replace Fields. Yes my opinion is jaded by Williams being a punk USC bitch.

FU BK

Reaction score
I just want the Bears to beat the Packers consistently and take control of the North. If that means CW is the QB then so be it.

A lot of us younger folk are quite frankly tired of hearing about how awesome the 85 Bears were because they've sucked for the vast majority of our lifetimes.
They were a hell of a team. Even 7 year old me realized the Sweetness never got in the endzone. Only thing I would change about that season

Wild Bill

Reaction score
This guy has nailed many other evaluations in the past.. I agree with everything here.

“I’ve never been in this situation, where I’m 7-5 and there are no playoff hopes at the end of the season. I’m dealing with it emotionally, dealing with it spiritually and physically.

He sounds like a woman dealing with the complexities of menstruation while navigating the challenges of life.

Fbolt

I've been around
Reaction score
They were a hell of a team. Even 7 year old me realized the Sweetness never got in the endzone. Only thing I would change about that season
Team for All Time. Loved watching them play.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
He sounds like a woman dealing with the complexities of menstruation while navigating the challenges of life.
I still contend this was the underlying plot of Frozen and the gay agenda thing was weirdo Facebook grannies making shit up.

NDFAN420

Reaction score
However, that does not mean Caleb Williams is going to be good.
Of course not. Every draft pick is based on projection. Poles is gangster though. After last year's trade, I couldn't help but wonder whether Bryce Young minus DJ Moore would = the #1 pick this year. And holy cow did that manifest.

I wonder when/if Caleb Williams is going to become the next Punky QB, wear sunglasses on the sidelines, curse out his coach, and moon helicopters...
The one thing about Jim McMahon, which was his curse and also maybe the one thing that made him tolerable was, as obnoxious as he was, he was unrepentant. He knows he's a jerk and he doesn't care that you know he's a jerk and he's not going to say, 'Whoops, I made a mistake,'"

Playing in the cold for the Bears does not improve his chances of success.
I think most of the best QBs in the league play for bad weather teams (all except Herbert?). I really like the staff that the Bears have put together this offseason and getting Thomas Brown was a boss move that previous regimes just didn't do.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
It's cold here in December and January, and the Bears haven't really had to worry about January football weather very much since they don't make the playoffs. The last few Decembers have been very mild. January and February tend to feel like actual winter, but the ten day forecast where I am in the NW burbs doesn't go below 42 degrees. No snow, no rain, minimal sun.

A divisional opponent, Detroit, plays indoors. So there's that.

The last game of the year it was 34 degrees at Lambeau with 9 MPH winds. Same situation for the last home game against Atlanta. Prior to that, they played Arizona on Christmas Eve at Soldier Field and it was 56 degrees.

Make playoffs, play some home games in January and we'll cross this icy bridge when we get there.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
So much smoke about moving on from Fields. I just don't agree but whatever
You get the sense that it is coming. Unless these dudes are all showing up at Halas Hall to parlay turning Fields into a Pro Bowler for head coaching gigs. I guess anything is possible.

zelezo vlk

Reaction score
It makes a bit of sense to move on from a bottom third passing QB when you have the #1 overall pick

NDFAN420

Reaction score
WR, TE, OT, DE, or trade down at #9?

I'm a Keon Coleman fan, but Rome Odunze and Bowers have me seriously intrigued. As does a team trading up to 9 to take a QB. Minnesota, Denver, and Las Vegas are right there and are QB needy. Would one of them want to jump the other to get their guy?

Could that plus a separate trade net us two 2nd rounders for this year as well?

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
Why not draft Marvin Harrison Jr and then Joe Alt?
Depending on how the board shakes out, they could have a shot at Alt or Fashanu at 9.

The scenario I'd flip out about is MHJ first and Bowers ninth if he is there. Those two skill guys with Fields and this coaching staff would be unreal. It sounds like NFL people are gaga about Bowers and he could go up higher than 9th. MHJ and Alt would be fantastic, though.

Poles could go crazy and trade out of both 1 and 9. Who knows what you end up with.

I just really like Marvin Harrison Jr. Feels like a lot of NFL guys do too. He's not there at number 9, though.

NDFAN420

Reaction score
Depending on how the board shakes out, they could have a shot at Alt or Fashanu at 9.

The scenario I'd flip out about is MHJ first and Bowers ninth if he is there. Those two skill guys with Fields and this coaching staff would be unreal. It sounds like NFL people are gaga about Bowers and he could go up higher than 9th. MHJ and Alt would be fantastic, though.

Poles could go crazy and trade out of both 1 and 9. Who knows what you end up with.

I just really like Marvin Harrison Jr. Feels like a lot of NFL guys do too. He's not there at number 9, though.
We need superstars at every skill position just so we can find out whether or not Fields can become a viable passer? I'm not sure that you could build and sustain a team like that.

Bears Senior Bowl Buzz: C and DE

Wild Bill

Reaction score

I'm not entirely sold on him being an elite receiver. He's good but not number one pick, or top five pick, good, in my opinion. I need a moss, Megatron, Julio Jones or Larry Fitz type talent in the top 5. He's not that guy. Not sure I'd take him at 9 either but that would depend on options.

Just one idiot's opinion.

luckofirish8

Reaction score
I'm not entirely sold on him being an elite receiver. He's good but not number one pick, or top five pick, good, in my opinion. I need a moss, Megatron, Julio Jones or Larry Fitz type talent in the top 5. He's not that guy. Not sure I'd take him at 9 either but that would depend on options.

Fair. I actually think Fitz is a pretty good comp for MHJ really. I'm more sold on him being an elite WR, than I am Caleb Williams being a franchise NFL QBs though.

Wild Bill

Reaction score
Fair. I actually think Fitz is a pretty good comp for MHJ really. I'm more sold on him being an elite WR, than I am Caleb Williams being a franchise NFL QBs though.
You could be right. I wouldn't take either with the first pick. Trade back and take the pile of picks someone will offer. Go with fields or trade him too and take someone later in draft and/or sign free agent.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
We need superstars at every skill position just so we can find out whether or not Fields can become a viable passer? I'm not sure that you could build and sustain a team like that.

Bears Senior Bowl Buzz: C and DE
The offensive staff revamp is a great start. That alone gives me a tad of optimism. What they do from here with the draft and personnel is up to them.

I like having the options and draft capital now. It's a good thing for the front office going forward and makes for good banter at the very least.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score

I was with you until this part. I will assume as we are here on February 2nd that if MHJ is still available at 9, something during the pre Draft process went horribly wrong for him. Bad Wonderlic, failed drug test, a physical exam that discovered a superfluous third nipple.

The Chicago Bears need playmakers regardless of who their QB is. If he's there at 9, it feels like a steal right now. Maybe down the line that changes for reasons we've yet to discover.

Loading up on skill people seems to be working out for the 49ers. Granted, they have an offensive mind like few others calling their plays. I don't believe Shane Waldron is that, but more talent leaves less margin for error more often than not. Ron Zook once took Illinois to a Rose Bowl at the college level, which leads me to believe that good things can happen in life.

Southside Sully

Reaction score
More Smoke about Williams camp not wanting to be in Chicago. This is obviously coming from somewhere, whether its other teams, or his own camp, I don't want him here.

RDU Irish

Catholics vs. Cousins
Reaction score
It makes a bit of sense to move on from a bottom third passing QB when you have the #1 overall pick

This is the most sobering comment that rings way too true.

I like the idea of Powers-Johnson holding down the center spot for the next decade plus if he is sitting there at their early 3rd round pick. Otherwise you will still have some top OG options on the board at that spot.