Chicago Bears address

Jiggafini19Deux

What do you hillbillies want?
Reaction score

As a coach, he's been involved on the pro level with multiple schemes, which I think is a good thing.

Carolina DL coach from 2011-17, then got promoted to DC when Steve Wilks went to Arizona. He was DC from 2018-19. Then he was in Buffalo with McDermott from 20-23.

Eberflus is calling the plays on Sundays, but having this guy as part of the planning the other six days of the week isn't necessarily a bad thing. Seems like the players should like him too.

Crazy Balki

Site Assigned Optimist
Reaction score
Great hire. He coached the Panthers DL during their hey-day. He was paramount in 2015, when they had one of the best defenses in the league. He's also worked with two of the best defensive minds in the game in Ron Rivera and Sean McDermott.

There's a reason why McDermott felt the need to make him his #2. Feel like the defense is in good hands with him and Flus.

NDFAN2008

Reaction score
I'm on the fence on what the Bears should do. I'm not 100% sold on Cam Williams I honestly think hes going to be a bust. I would much rather trade the pick for a kings ransom and build an elite team around Justin Fields. You don't need a super star QB in the league to win it all. Brock Purdy was a 7th round pick and San Fran built a team around him. Groff was traded to Detroit by the Rams after they gave up on him and Detroit drafted guys to play around him. Trade the 1st pick Keep Fields. Draft MHJ with the 2nd or 3rd pick, take Rome Odunze with the 9th pick. That gives you 3 stud WR's. If you trade the 1st pick you will most likely get a second round pick if it's Washington you might be able to snatch both their second round picks this year. Use the second round pick on a DE or OT, take the 3rd pick and draft Zinter from Michigan for Center.

RDU Irish

Catholics vs. Cousins
Reaction score
I'm on the fence on what the Bears should do. I'm not 100% sold on Cam Williams I honestly think hes going to be a bust. I would much rather trade the pick for a kings ransom and build an elite team around Justin Fields. You don't need a super star QB in the league to win it all. Brock Purdy was a 7th round pick and San Fran built a team around him. Groff was traded to Detroit by the Rams after they gave up on him and Detroit drafted guys to play around him. Trade the 1st pick Keep Fields. Draft MHJ with the 2nd or 3rd pick, take Rome Odunze with the 9th pick. That gives you 3 stud WR's. If you trade the 1st pick you will most likely get a second round pick if it's Washington you might be able to snatch both their second round picks this year. Use the second round pick on a DE or OT, take the 3rd pick and draft Zinter from Michigan for Center.

I could get on board with a MHJr+Odunze first round and then pick up one of the top OGs and maybe the #1 center with 2nd/3rd round action. If nothing else it would be interesting.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
The center from Oregon is awesome. I think he starts day one for the Bears and a lot of other teams.

I grew up in Chicago and have been in the suburbs for the last 20+ years. I don't know that Caleb Williams is going to get a lot of latitude if he sucks and or winds up being a chooch. The media and fans will chew him up and spew him out fast. Early returns lead me to believe they're leaning on drafting him first and keeping the pick.

If he's Jay Cutler with painted nails and a headband, they're going to be back to square one again. Goodbye GM, goodbye head coach, lather rinse repeat.

BoredIrish

Reaction score
The center from Oregon is awesome. I think he starts day one for the Bears and a lot of other teams.

I grew up in Chicago and have been in the suburbs for the last 20+ years. I don't know that Caleb Williams is going to get a lot of latitude if he sucks and or winds up being a chooch. The media and fans will chew him up and spew him out fast. Early returns lead me to believe they're leaning on drafting him first and keeping the pick.

If he's Jay Cutler with painted nails and a headband, they're going to be back to square one again. Goodbye GM, goodbye head coach, lather rinse repeat.
Justin Fields was given a long rope because he seems like a humble and hard working kid. I think the Chicago fans would love for Caleb to pan out and the only reason they dont embrace him is if he comes in and acts like and entitled brat.

FWIW I think Caleb does want to win and from what I have seen, I havent heard anything negative about him from his own teammates. He could just be the guy that you love on your team but hate when he is your opponent.

MKEagle

Can you take me higher?
Reaction score
Trying to fight recency bias here. That said, this offensive staff is probably one of the better ones we have seen (on paper at least). Waldron brought Kerry Joseph as QB coach and Thomas Brown as passing game coordinator both of whom seem to be highly regarded throughout the league. Thomas Brown was even interviewed for OC positions.

So to me, I find it really hard to imagine that you are going to not only build an offensive staff like that but also have guys who want to go to Chicago with the assumption that they are running it back with JF1. They know they have the opportunity to add "coached Caleb Williams" on their coaching resumes.

Like most on this board, I am not sold on CW, but I'm at a point where I'd be surprised if they don't draft CW at #1.

zelezo vlk

Reaction score
I could get on board with a MHJr+Odunze first round and then pick up one of the top OGs and maybe the #1 center with 2nd/3rd round action. If nothing else it would be interesting.
Man you're asking for the 2023 Atlanta Falcons on offense lol

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
Justin Fields was given a long rope because he seems like a humble and hard working kid. I think the Chicago fans would love for Caleb to pan out and the only reason they dont embrace him is if he comes in and acts like and entitled brat.

FWIW I think Caleb does want to win and from what I have seen, I havent heard anything negative about him from his own teammates. He could just be the guy that you love on your team but hate when he is your opponent.
My fear is just that about Caleb. Bears fans didn't like Grossman or Cutler, and they both experienced success by Chicago Bear standards. People liked Kyle Orton and Justin Fields.

I'm at the point that I don't really care anymore. I'd like to see another Super Bowl before I leave the Earth.

Front office has to do their due diligence.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
OC: Shane Waldron

Passing Game Coordinator: Thomas Brown
QB coach: Kerry Joseph
WR coach: Chris Beatty
RB coach: Chad Morton
OL coach: Chris Morgan

Morgan was retained from previous offensive staff.

Whoever the QB is, they have an upgraded staff here that's going to be working with him.

zelezo vlk

Reaction score
OC: Shane Waldron

Passing Game Coordinator: Thomas Brown
QB coach: Kerry Joseph
WR coach: Chris Beatty
RB coach: Chad Morton
OL coach: Chris Morgan

Morgan was retained from previous offensive staff.

Whoever the QB is, they have an upgraded staff here that's going to be working with him.
That's a pretty dang good staff; Shane Waldron and Thomas Brown were considered potential HC candidates before this season.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
That's a pretty dang good staff; Shane Waldron and Thomas Brown were considered potential HC candidates before this season.
OC candidates at worst.

These guys coming to Chicago lead me to believe that one pick is going to be Caleb Williams. If he pans out, these guys are going to get head coaching jobs.

zelezo vlk

Reaction score
OC candidates at worst.

These guys coming to Chicago lead me to believe that one pick is going to be Caleb Williams. If he pans out, these guys are going to get head coaching jobs.
It also allows for them to promote from within for continuity if Waldron gets a HC job next season. Then boom, next man up, Thomas Brown you're the OC now.

RDU Irish

Catholics vs. Cousins
Reaction score
I fully expect them to draft CW b/c it is exactly what I don't want them to do. Battered fan syndrome. I do think Fields presents a durability problem even if he does pan out decently - you need a viable #2 since they are going to play meaningful snaps. Gimpy Fields is a very different player than the guy at 100%. His style of play will have him gimpy for at least 1/4th of any given season.

Give me Fields with the #1 and #2 WR and two top tier upgrades at OL over Williams with maybe the #2 WR and not much capital to upgrade the OL as well (long ways from #9 overall to their next pick at #75). Picking up a 2nd round pick makes the choice MHJR plus top 5 OG or #1 OC versus only the nail painter. Then the early 3rd round pick has lots of OL value on the table giving you two big upgrades on the line. Two fourths and a fifth left over to bolster the defense.

• 1-1 (from Panthers)
  • 1-9
  • 3-75
  • 4-TBA
  • 4-TBA (from Eagles)
  • 5-TBA

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
It also allows for them to promote from within for continuity if Waldron gets a HC job next season. Then boom, next man up, Thomas Brown you're the OC now.
Which would ultimately be a very good thing. If Waldron gets an HC job a year from now, something good must have happened. At least offensively, anyway. Thomas Brown is widely regarded in the NFL as a good offensive mind (McVay Rams Tree) and he'd step up into the OC role so long as nothing else comes his way. Brown got caught in the 2023 Panther shit storm as a first time OC.

These guys wanting to be in Chicago surely has more to do with who they will get to work with versus the reputation of the Bears, which to this point, has not been good.

It's going to be Caleb Williams.

zelezo vlk

Reaction score
Which would ultimately be a very good thing. If Waldron gets an HC job a year from now, something good must have happened. At least offensively, anyway. Thomas Brown is widely regarded in the NFL as a good offensive mind (McVay Rams Tree) and he'd step up into the OC role so long as nothing else comes his way. Brown got caught in the 2023 Panther shit storm as a first time OC.

These guys wanting to be in Chicago surely has more to do with who they will get to work with versus the reputation of the Bears, which to this point, has not been good.

It's going to be Caleb Williams.
Yeah, among all the whining from NFL fanbases that new Head Coaches MUST be offensive guys otherwise your OC gets poached, they always skip over your point lol. Having an offense so good that your guys get poached is a great thing! In retrospect, it was a massive red flag that Flus and Poles retained every single staff member from the 2022 season.

Also you're right, it's gonna be Caleb and Bears fans are just gonna have to be content with that.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
Yeah, among all the whining from NFL fanbases that new Head Coaches MUST be offensive guys otherwise your OC gets poached, they always skip over your point lol. Having an offense so good that your guys get poached is a great thing! In retrospect, it was a massive red flag that Flus and Poles retained every single staff member from the 2022 season.

Also you're right, it's gonna be Caleb and Bears fans are just gonna have to be content with that.
If Waldron and Brown get picked up elsewhere, guess what? The offensive infrastructure is still being left behind. The roster stays and the coaches go. That makes the jobs that become open that much more attractive. "Caleb Williams is there? Yeah, I'll go coach WR there, sure."

I have my doubts about his size and intangibles, but the talent is there. Cannon arm, he can improvise, and there are people who believe he was better than Burrow, Lawrence and Young in terms of his game changing ability for a franchise.

I still feel that whoever the QB is they need to continue to build around the offense regardless. Still, the upgrade in offensive staff is probably worth a couple of wins already.

zelezo vlk

Reaction score
If Waldron and Brown get picked up elsewhere, guess what? The offensive infrastructure is still being left behind. The roster stays and the coaches go. That makes the jobs that become open that much more attractive. "Caleb Williams is there? Yeah, I'll go coach WR there, sure."

I have my doubts about his size and intangibles, but the talent is there. Cannon arm, he can improvise, and there are people who believe he was better than Burrow, Lawrence and Young in terms of his game changing ability for a franchise.

I still feel that whoever the QB is they need to continue to build around the offense regardless. Still, the upgrade in offensive staff is probably worth a couple of wins already.
I have no doubt that Poles will do what he can to upgrade the talent on offense. Get a veteran Center in FA, maybe a WR2, draft whoever falls to you at 9 and some OL to develop in the middle rounds, maybe a RB and baby you got a stew going.

FU BK

Reaction score
I will never watch another game if they draft that turd. Was bad enough watching him cry on the sidelines with mommy consoling him on a team I hate.....ill be damned if l watch that shit for a team I've cheered for for over 40 years

NDFAN420

Reaction score
I fully expect them to draft CW b/c it is exactly what I don't want them to do. Battered fan syndrome. I do think Fields presents a durability problem even if he does pan out decently - you need a viable #2 since they are going to play meaningful snaps. Gimpy Fields is a very different player than the guy at 100%. His style of play will have him gimpy for at least 1/4th of any given season.
A durability problem, a field vision problem, a can't pass between the hashmarks problem, a can't find an open receiver problem, a can only complete screens problem, a didn't improve at all last year problem. Half of his TD's came against Denver and Washington. I think that you see more in Fields than is there because of QB PTSD that being a Bears fan induces. ;)

I moved from Chicago right before they drafted Fields (I was very happy about that and keeping him last year was the right move) so I'm frankly a little shocked at the support he's been getting from fans.

The NFL & Bears fans see the decision on Caleb Williams vs Justin Fields VERY differently

Last edited:

MKEagle

Can you take me higher?
Reaction score
I just want the Bears to beat the Packers consistently and take control of the North. If that means CW is the QB then so be it.

A lot of us younger folk are quite frankly tired of hearing about how awesome the 85 Bears were because they've sucked for the vast majority of our lifetimes.