Chicago Bears address

BoredIrish

Reaction score
The bar for the Bears QB is set so low that I actually am excited with the prospect of grabbing Caleb.

I cant remember a college player I hated more at the time than Caleb... yet I'm all for drafting the kid.

Cant wait for the "F&*@ GB" finger nails.

Jiggafini19Deux

What do you hillbillies want?
Reaction score
It seems that some significant portion of your takes on Fields have as much to do with emotion as they do anything else. By contrast, the emotional aspect of my fandom is tied to the team and not to any individual player (Walter Payton notwithstanding). I understand the desire for him to be a good NFL QB, I dropped it once I believed that we had better options - the #1 pick in this years' draft.
Emotion has nothing to do with it. Emotion is Saban sitting Jalen for Tua and then a few years later not pulling his center when he should have because he had affinity for the kid.

If Fields stays, I feel he can be reached and can be better based on what we've seen so far, but that would require an organization that hasn't developed quarterbacks in their history doing their part in that. I think Fields wants to be great and he has the respect of the locker room. Fields got put in a shit sandwich from day one, without question. There are things about him that have yet to improve that concern me, for sure. I see both sides of that coin so it boils down to me having faith in Ryan Poles. For now, I do. I also believe they should draft or sign a rookie QB every year. Not necessarily early but just go get one and bring him to camp. Spin the wheel and lend yourself to maybe catching lightning in a bottle.

As a Bears fan, though, I've been down this road countless times before. It started with Harbaugh when I was a kid. Then McNown, Grossman, Orton, Krenzel, Trubisky and now Fields. We see Trevor Lawrence struggling. Where is Kyler Murray? Where is Daniel Jones? Mayfield? Darnold? Rosen? Herbert? We've heard about generational talents at QB in every draft forever. I don't know what leads me to believe that the Bears will give up on Fields now and be able to start over with Caleb Williams, Drake Maye or Jayden Daniels and be in better position. If Poles decides trading Fields and drafting a QB is the way, so be it. I think continuing to use draft capital to build around Fields but continue to get QBs into the mix to compete is the way to go.

Giddyup

Banned
Reaction score
The bar for the Bears QB is set so low that I actually am excited with the prospect of grabbing Caleb.

I cant remember a college player I hated more at the time than Caleb... yet I'm all for drafting the kid.

Cant wait for the "F&*@ GB" finger nails.
Pfft. Van Ness would chew those nails off and spit em out.

Old Man Mike

Fast as Lightning!
Reaction score
... something some IErs might know something about, as I have no clue:
The Bears OLine has looked pretty mediocre to me for a few years. A couple of years ago, they had to make do with two of our own hard-working guys (Mustipher and Bars) and to me seemed to be doing as good as the talent could, but not good enough. Watching the Bears this last year, the OLine talent seemed like a MILD upgrade (particularly at center vis a vis strength) and seemed to play better too (though not great.) Is it possible that their OLine coach is actually pretty good but isn't given enough priority/talent to work with? As I said, I don't follow pro coaching staffs so I'm just asking. Sometimes it seem to me that it is just not possible to make lemonade at the NFL level even if you're a pretty good "chef."

zelezo vlk

Reaction score
... something some IErs might know something about, as I have no clue:
The Bears OLine has looked pretty mediocre to me for a few years. A couple of years ago, they had to make do with two of our own hard-working guys (Mustipher and Bars) and to me seemed to be doing as good as the talent could, but not good enough. Watching the Bears this last year, the OLine talent seemed like a MILD upgrade (particularly at center vis a vis strength) and seemed to play better too (though not great.) Is it possible that their OLine coach is actually pretty good but isn't given enough priority/talent to work with? As I said, I don't follow pro coaching staffs so I'm just asking. Sometimes it seem to me that it is just not possible to make lemonade at the NFL level even if you're a pretty good "chef."
The O line was significantly better this year. Mustipher supposedly had a decent year in Baltimore but he was awful for the Bears. Chicago's OL this year from Left to Right were 2nd year - 3rd year - 8th year - 5th year - 1st year, just an incredibly young OL when healthy (and they were significantly better while healthy) and the 8th year veteran Center was by far the weakest link. Their Tackles are more than fine for a good OL and in fact the rookie RT looked great. The GM needs to invest in the interior because the 3rd year LG, while good, has not proven to stay healthy for a full season. Plus the aforementioned Center is likely to be cut.

Old Man Mike

Fast as Lightning!
Reaction score
... so maybe the OLine coach is an OK coach, but just needs more support from the higher ups?

zelezo vlk

Reaction score
There’s a reason he is being retained. The OL by many metrics was average this year. Gotta let the young guys grow and develop on the field. I expect they’ll sign a veteran center in free agency and draft a couple guys in the mid to late rounds for depth and development.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
... so maybe the OLine coach is an OK coach, but just needs more support from the higher ups?
Jones, Jenkins and Wright are a good base to build on. They need another guard and undoubtedly a center. Jackson Powers Johnson, which sounds like a 90s alternative band, is the top center in the country and declared for the Draft. He should be the first center taken, but where that is would be anyone's guess.

Zach Frazier from WVU is pretty good too.

The line was banged up all year. They had guys missing due to injury at multiple points of the season at multiple spots. Regardless of who your QB is, you don't want your interior OL getting dog walked more often than not. Jones and Jenkins were also terrible on Sunday against Green Bay.

NDFAN420

Reaction score
I would not take Caleb as I don’t think he’s a sure thing. I’d trade the pick and stockpile talent. Good QB play is easier to find when you have a talented roster.

luckofirish8

Reaction score

And look at Fields 2019 season at OSU and Williams 2022 season at USC. Williams won the Heisman in 2022, but you could easily argue that Fields 2019 was better. Pro-rated (because Fields missed time) numbers would have them at pretty similar number in their college careers.

Williams isn't coming out as Peyton Manning. I think if he was, there would be a lot less talk about what the Bears should do.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
And look at Fields 2019 season at OSU and Williams 2022 season at USC. Williams won the Heisman in 2022, but you could easily argue that Fields 2019 was better. Pro-rated (because Fields missed time) numbers would have them at pretty similar number in their college careers.

Williams isn't coming out as Peyton Manning. I think if he was, there would be a lot less talk about what the Bears should do.
That's just it. Nobody really is or has been. Maybe Trevor Lawrence a few years ago, but prior to him, Andrew Luck?

Last year wasn't one of those years and neither is this year, but you'll have pundits all over social media talking about how this guy or that guy is "generational."

Tim Hasselbeck said Drake Maye is the most perfect QB prospect he's ever seen in the time he's worked for ESPN. There is also a reason Tim Hasselbeck works for ESPN and not in an NFL front office.

BoredIrish

Reaction score

If true... what a douchebag. Let him go back to school and be a tackling dummy for another season at SC.

Crazy Balki

Site Assigned Optimist
Reaction score
Bears don't have to tell you sh*t and they'd be morons to do otherwise.

All this does is increase the value of the #1 pick, because if he decides to not declare or go into the supplemental draft (which I highly doubt), that just means teams needing a QB are going to have to fight and bid against one another for Maye.

Ndaccountant

Old Hoss
Reaction score
Sandyvagina.gif

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
What isn't a rumor is that he is looking for a piece of ownership wherever he goes, which the NFL won't allow. This comes directly from Caleb's father.

I can't blame him if he doesn't want to come to Chicago, but I would not trade that pick on behalf of what he wants. Trade with whoever gives you the best deal, and if they want Drake Maye or someone else, so be it.

Caleb and his dad are doing what they feel is best for them. That's fine. So long as they feel they're the center of the universe, that doesn't mean anyone else has to feel obligated to treat them as such.

IrishSteelhead

All Flair, No Substance
Reaction score
What isn't a rumor is that he is looking for a piece of ownership wherever he goes, which the NFL won't allow. This comes directly from Caleb's father.

I can't blame him if he doesn't want to come to Chicago, but I would not trade that pick on behalf of what he wants. Trade with whoever gives you the best deal, and if they want Drake Maye or someone else, so be it.

Caleb and his dad are doing what they feel is best for them. That's fine. So long as they feel they're the center of the universe, that doesn't mean anyone else has to feel obligated to treat them as such.

There’s a good chance a team that really wants him begins to float more negative rumors in an attempt to drive the asking price for the first pick down.

Social media has created a very dirty pre-draft environment.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
There’s a good chance a team that really wants him begins to float more negative rumors in an attempt to drive the asking price for the first pick down.

Social media has created a very dirty pre-draft environment.

Good chance you are right. The Bears will need to do their due diligence and speak to Caleb face to face.

In hindsight, I think we're starting to see a lot of the negative stuff that was being said about Stroud was fabricated by Houston and who knows who else. He seems to have the talent, the football IQ and attitude to make it in The League.

I remember about a year ago all that stuff was coming out about his attitude, how he was a dunce when it came to breaking down film, etc. Very big smokescreen and likely an effective one.

irishff1014

Reaction score
Any GM that takes a chance on Williams better have a really good relationship with this head coach. Williams can play but he is a head ache. In the NFL you don’t have time for that. And I think it’ll cause more problems than it’s worth.

arrowryan

Reaction score

Why wouldn’t he want to go to Chicago? What other realistic option is available?

With the way he played and acted this season, he doesn’t have any ground to stand on. I think he’s going to be a massive bust anyway.