Career Change Advice

Rack Em

Community Bod
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm planning a career change and looking to potentially change industries. Has anyone done this? What advice do you have?

I already put in my notice so I really want to hit the ground running.

Blazers46

My adjectives are wise, brilliant and handsome.
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm planning a career change and looking to potentially change industries. Has anyone done this? What advice do you have?

Very broad question. What is your industry and what industry are you trying to get in?

I went from a licensed social worker to owning a sporting goods store... my transition just took a little bit of money but your situation is probably different.

BleedBlueGold

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I LOL'd. Sorry.

0.gif

BleedBlueGold

Reaction score
I've been contemplating a career change myself. Only my new "career" would be spending more time at home with my 3 yr old and newborn. Currently trying to find a way to make it work financially if I work 4 days per week. It's tricky.

RDU Irish

Catholics vs. Cousins
Reaction score
This has some "about a girl" thread of the year potential.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
Hey guys,

McDonalds didn't work out?

ACamp1900

Counting my ‘bet against ND’ winnings
Reaction score
Doesn't matter if this is or isn't a joke thread. You know this is how we roll.

Like that time I didn't know the wooden spoon thread wasn't a legit question (because I never followed koon's threads in fairness but still).... lol

Greenore

Reaction score
Not going to lie. Saw the thread title and had some questions.

Saw the replies and I wasn't disappointed!!

Cheers and Go Irish!!

Greenore

Reaction score
Hey guys,

In all fairness... what industry to what industry? Secondly, what motivated you to change?

I changed about 29 years ago to go back to University to pursue a B.Comm. Got a call from a related business for a management position. Stayed there for a couple years and then went into business for myself (same industry). Worked out very well for me but I also recognize that the timing was perfect and I now know that I had some great "luck factor".

Cheers and Go Irish!!

Greenore

Reaction score
What the hell, I've got a weird sense of humor...

"Welcome to Burger King"... 6 syllables
"Welcome to McDonalds"... 6 syllables

Not too much change. Should be a seamless transition.

Is this how to "Irish Envy"?

Cheers and Go Irish!!

Sherm Sticky

The Prophet
Reaction score
Rack Em didn't you go to law school and became a lawyer? Or am I thinking of a different poster.

NorthDakota

Grandson of Loomis
Reaction score
Hey guys,

If it's about getting more time for work/life balance....

"I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help."

Rack Em

Community Bod
Reaction score
Rack Em didn't you go to law school and became a lawyer? Or am I thinking of a different poster.

You’re correct. Right now I work in healthcare compliance and I’m looking to transition either into law practice or into financial advising. Ideally there is something in between. The problem is that all my professional experiences is in healthcare compliance and operations...as is my masters degree.

I put in my notice because my boss is a micromanager and I have zero passion for what I do anymore. I also feel I’m being discriminated against by things she’s said and done related to my taking days off when my kids have been sick, etc. Today one of my coworkers told me that our work environment is “toxic” and that I’m just the first to leave. I’ve decided to put my family, happiness, and mental health ahead of this job.

I was just looking for some help from anyone who has done a career change. Very much not a joke.

Bluto

Reaction score
You’re correct. Right now I work in healthcare compliance and I’m looking to transition either into law practice or into financial advising. Ideally there is something in between. The problem is that all my professional experiences is in healthcare compliance and operations...as is my masters degree.

I put in my notice because my boss is a micromanager and I have zero passion for what I do anymore. I also feel I’m being discriminated against by things she’s said and done related to my taking days off when my kids have been sick, etc. Today one of my coworkers told me that our work environment is “toxic” and that I’m just the first to leave. I’ve decided to put my family, happiness, and mental health ahead of this job.

I was just looking for some help from anyone who has done a career change. Very much not a joke.

As North Dakota alluded to I would consider looking into a civil service position if work/life balance is a big deal.