Called out!

Mr. Larson

Reaction score
Posted this afternoon by Ricochet in the upset alert thread:

If this doesn't get the blind loyalist of Golson to come to reality that he's awful then nothing will.

I'm sorry because while I love and support my ND but I don't get the hype, love, etc. etc. for Golson. He has shown nothing. So what if he's athletic and has a strong arm? There are plenty of those guys and they are terrible because there is much more to being a QB than those measurables.

Fans and the coaches will keep making excuses for him saying he's a So. who just now is getting PT but look at this IU QB Coffman he's been thrown in the fire because of there starting QB going down season long injury. In 1 half against the same MSU team that ND faced he has already looked better and has been better stat wise than Golson has been and like Golson he's just now seeing PT and is only a So.. Making it that much more impressive is that he doesn't have the offensive talent that Golson is wasting.

Seriously that talent that Golson has at his disposal he shouldn't be struggling like he has because first of all he has the best TE in the nation to go with a solid to good WR corp and a trio of very good RB's. He hasn't been good because he has horrible vision, timing and the fact that he's always staring down his primary target and this has led to horrible play and has led teams to not to play honest and have loaded the box to stop the run because he can't make the passes consistently enough.

TheRealLynch51

Reaction score
I feel you Mr. Larson. About damn time that people took a little accountability for the ish they post about players. I bet this guy doesn't post for about 3 months. Reps to you for calling him out!

Mr. Larson

Reaction score
To put that quote into context...Indiana was leading Michigan State at the time of the post, and apparently Ricochet would take Coffman over Golson as our starting QB.

Last edited:

Grimm

Reaction score
I see nothing wrong with Ricochet's post. Maybe a little harsh and hyper for my taste, but Golson did have a couple of bad games in a row so don't see why he can't have an opinion that he should be playing alot better.

Is the purpose of this forum for everyone to participate in a circle jerk? Who cares if someone has a divergent or even negative point of view ... or even supports a different team if they aren't here to create negative interactions. Accountability, calling people out for posts, hoping they leave this forum for three months? Meh.

phillyirish

Reaction score
I mean its not like Golson put on a clinic today. He performed decent but he didn't even put up 200 yards against the 7th worse defense in the nation. Though thats probably due to the fact that he got attempts taken away from him due to Notre Dame's best rushing game in the past 12 years.

I do like that he had a great completion percentage today. I would add that he showed great poise in the last drive before half (4/4 48 yards), and it was probably his best drive management yet in the season.

As of now I'm a realist, Golson is our best option and could become a great QB. But right now with this team and defense he doesn't need to be elite, he just needs to play above average and responsibly manage the game.

ThePiombino

The OG "TP"
Reaction score
I mean its not like Golson put on a clinic today. He performed decent but he didn't even put up 200 yards against the 7th worse defense in the nation. Though thats probably due to the fact that he got attempts taken away from him due to Notre Dame's best rushing game in the past 12 years.

I do like that he had a great completion percentage today. I would add that he showed great poise in the last drive before half (4/4 48 yards), and it was probably his best drive management yet in the season.

As of now I'm a realist, Golson is our best option and could become a great QB. But right now with this team and defense he doesn't need to be elite, he just needs to play above average and responsibly manage the game.

150+ of his passing yards were in the 1st half. ND attempted a handful of passes in the 2nd half. I'd say he had a pretty good showing. Also made a couple nice plays with his feet. You need to consider the whole picture here in regards to those stats of his from last night.

ndfi78

Reaction score
I see nothing wrong with Ricochet's post. Maybe a little harsh and hyper for my taste, but Golson did have a couple of bad games in a row so don't see why he can't have an opinion that he should be playing alot better.

Is the purpose of this forum for everyone to participate in a circle jerk? Who cares if someone has a divergent or even negative point of view ... or even supports a different team if they aren't here to create negative interactions. Accountability, calling people out for posts, hoping they leave this forum for three months? Meh.

I agree, up until this point Ricochet wasn't far off.

Mr. Larson

Reaction score

Not looking for anyone to leave...just looking for some accountability.

Another important stat from that IU vs. Sparty game. IU lost.

Mr. Larson

Reaction score

I blame Cierre and GA III for putting up too many yards. Maybe it's the defense's fault too...If Golson plays the whole game he definitely goes over 200 yards.

ND 41 The U 3

Irishnuke

CFB Message Board Guy
Reaction score
Ricochet wasn't off base since he made that post before the game. Wording might not have been the best though.

It's also completely unnecessary and pretty childish to create a thread to bash someone because they gave their opinion and to give them a F U is completely stupid.

Luckylucci

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm never one to criticize but what the **** r smoking? It must be some good **** because that was the dumbest **** I have ever heard. I refuse to give exceptions for being ahead of time on a bullshit call. Last night he completed over 70% of his passes and that's what u come up with, terrible.

Luckylucci

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry guys but after what I watched last night I typed before thought

Mr. Larson

Reaction score
Ricochet wasn't off base since he made that post before the game. Wording might not have been the best though.

It's also completely unnecessary and pretty childish to create a thread to bash someone because they gave their opinion and to give them a F U is completely stupid.

Called out! The F U was way out of line. Sorry, Ricochet.

Irishnuke

CFB Message Board Guy
Reaction score
I'm never one to criticize but what the **** r smoking? It must be some good **** because that was the dumbest **** I have ever heard. I refuse to give exceptions for being ahead of time on a bullshit call. Last night he completed over 70% of his passes and that's what u come up with, terrible.

Who are you replying to?

tadman95

I have a bigger bullet
Reaction score
Mr. Larson - maybe you have a "spec" available to post so viewers can understand what is appropriate to post in your eyes. Ricochet's post was a little out there but there's been worse for sure. I guess he hit a "button" with you?

I've found your post/s in starting this thread more offensive to be frank.

Last edited:

BeauBenken

Shut up, Richard
Staff member
Reaction score
Golson hadn't had any problem reading defenses. (Referring to his "horrible vision".) He still doesn't. He just made some bad throws. Play calling was also a lot more friendly for him this week.

Golson is going to be FINE. And that's an understatement.

Last edited:

NDinFL

Reaction score
Mr. Larson - maybe you have a "spec" available to post so viewers can understand what is appropriate to post in your eyes. Ricochet's post was a little out there but there's been worse for sure. I guess he hit a "button" with you?

I've found your post/s in starting this thread more offensive to be frank.

While you may be right, tadman, Larson wasn't wrong in trying to get some accountability from a poster.

Guys like irishpat and Patulski have made some pretty dumb predictions/posts on here, but have always come around to own up to them in the end.

tadman95

I have a bigger bullet
Reaction score
While you may be right, tadman, Larson wasn't wrong in trying to get some accountability from a poster.

Guys like irishpat and Patulski have made some pretty dumb predictions/posts on here, but have always come around to own up to them in the end.

Maybe, that's a slippery slope though. If we do it his way, the board is going to be a mess, IMO.

PM him, negative rep him, ignore him. Starting a thread to call out every "dumb prediction" gets unruly fast. Example; Golic has been criticized plenty but had a good game last night according to most. Are we going to call anyone out? Just my .02.

Reaction score
Honestly, for however bad Golson has played this year, he still has made more plays through 5 games then I ever remember our qb last year making...

NDinFL

Reaction score
Honestly, for however bad Golson has played this year, he still has made more plays through 5 games then I ever remember our qb last year making...

Truth.

There were at least 4-5 times last night where he (Golson) scrambled/evaded a pass rush that Tommy wouldn't have been able to.

People that bitch about Everett are just bitching to hear their own bitching

tadman95

I have a bigger bullet
Reaction score

Very true. Every play has "hope". We didn't have that last year.

IrishinTN

Reaction score
Golson is a red-shirt freshman, for God's sake. People need to show a bit more patience and trust the staff to continue to allow for his growth. I don't understand how some people seem to think he will be Cam Newton in his senior year or Geno Smith this year or the second coming of Joe Montana already.

He grows every week and will be a special QB by the time he's done here. I think we should all be happy that this team has enough additional talent on offense AND defense that they don't need to lean on him more right now and can let him continue to settle in and open up the playbook.

I know patience is at a premium for ND fans, but I think it is definitely in order here.

kmoose

Banned
Reaction score
Golson is a red-shirt freshman, for God's sake. People need to show a bit more patience and trust the staff to continue to allow for his growth. I don't understand how some people seem to think he will be Cam Newton in his senior year or Geno Smith this year or the second coming of Joe Montana already.

To be honest, I don't think people are targeting Golson with their criticism, as much as they are targeting the posters who beat Rees down like a red-headed stepchild, and built Golson up as if he were the next Tommy Frazier or Michael Vick, last year. I think those who are being critical of Golson are just pointing out that the kid was, in fact, probably NOT ready to play last year, and Kelly was right to stick with Rees, despite his limitations.

But that's just my opinion. I'm not one of those bagging on Golson, so I don't know for sure.

twig21

Reaction score

He grows every week and will be a special QB by the time he's done here. I think we should all be happy that this team has enough additional talent on offense AND defense that they don't need to lean on him more right now and can let him continue to settle in and open up the playbook.

I know patience is at a premium for ND fans, but I think it is definitely in order here.

Finally a post with common sense. Everett is only 5 games into his ND career. He is just now getting used to the speed of the game, which includes changing the play, blocking assignments etc. Also Coach Kelly said after the game that this was the first week he felt comfortable adding the read option. I just don't understand some of the negative posts about ND players. After the first series last night some knuckleheads sounded like they were jumping ship. Thank God these people don't coach. We are 7th in the fricking country people. How many people thought that would happen after week 5?

Reaction score
To be honest, I don't think people are targeting Golson with their criticism, as much as they are targeting the posters who beat Rees down like a red-headed stepchild, and built Golson up as if he were the next Tommy Frazier or Michael Vick, last year. I think those who are being critical of Golson are just pointing out that the kid was, in fact, probably NOT ready to play last year, and Kelly was right to stick with Rees, despite his limitations.

But that's just my opinion. I'm not one of those bagging on Golson, so I don't know for sure.

Who is still talking about last year?

I think it's pretty clear now who BK thinks can help this team be a top 10 team.

kmoose

Banned
Reaction score

I think it's pretty clear now who BK thinks can help this team be a top 10 team.

Do you have reading comprehension issues?

Last year, a lot of posters rode Tommy Rees very hard, and complained long and loud about how Everett Golson should be playing, because his skill set was so much better than Rees'. Many Rees supporters opined that Golson probably was not ready to start yet.

Fast forward a year, and Golson is doing pretty good, but certainly doesn't look like a polished DI-A quarterback(nor should he, I'm not knocking him). I think that some of the people who are being critical of Golson this year are really aiming their comments at those posters who complained long and loud for Golson, last year. If Golson is still looking pretty raw, this year, then playing him would not have helped last year's record, or not by more than maybe a game.

I'm not saying that it's rational, or that it makes a difference. I was merely observing that there might be some latent animosity laying around, because of the animated debate on the subject last year.

BGIF

Varsity Club
Reaction score

... .

Look at the some of the crap that was posted in the pregame thread LAST NIGHT when the rumors started about Rees starting instead of Golson.

Moose is spot on.

Rees will never have the innate talent that Golson does YET he was called on as a TRUE freshman (a year sooner than Golson) to actually play for ND and run the team. He didn't get a year on the scout team to adjust to the speed of the college game and adjust to college like. He was thrown in with the sharks a couple of weeks after stepping on campus and the jerks here ridiculed him. Excoriated him and a few still do with viciousness.

richochet's comments are mild in comparison and I also suspect are more directed at those fans who had Golson walking on water before he played a game. Golson showed much more poise last night particularly in the "2 minute drill" drive. He handled reading defenses/getting the play called much, much better. He still has quite a ways to go. I'm hopeful that he will get there - and soon. We'll need it each of the next 3 weeks.

This thread should not have been opened. It should have been responded to appropriately where the original comment was made.

alohagoirish

Reaction score
The disputed post by MR RICOCHET deserved to be called out IMO. It was grossly ignorant of what Kelly has been doing with this offense keeping the zone read out of play---keeping a short leash on everett--keeping the offense very very conservative due to the fact we have not been behind all year.

Golson has earned this job by beating out three talented QBs , he has impressed the coaches , and both current & former players. His skill set is unlike anything we have had at QB in years---and he was terrific against miami.

Ask coach kelly--"Golsons passing set the tone and opened things up.....the Zone read has given us many more possibilities ".

Golson brings so much to this team and his poise, command & confidence last night totally belies a young redshirt frosh coming off a sketchy outing.

Anyone who knows QB talent has seen a few hundred QBs play the position--knows we have lighting in a bottle with golson----Kelly knows in---Martin knows it---Tony Rice knows it---the players know it.

I will predict that this site will not see many more posts along the lines of the ignorant rantings of mr ricochet.

Everett took a huge step up as did the offense and the team.

The Golson/WOOD/GA3 offense and the TUITT/NIX/TEO DEFENSE---has given new life to this program , i suggest we embrace it !

Reaction score

Do you have reading comprehension issues?

No, that sentence implied posters are not happy with Golson THIS YEAR and so that LAST YEAR wouldn't have been much different if he started. Hence my question, who is talking about last year? Someone else stated that in the pregame thread ppl were complaining about last year, which I had not read so...