Cal Postgame Thread

MacIrish75

BIG Mayonnaise Guy
Reaction score
We HAVE to stop with all the pre-play motion. We have more motion than Shakira twerking and it never amounts to anything more than causing confusion for our own players and drawing false start and illegal motion penalties. We went away from it mostly in the second half and our operations seemed to improve quite a bit.
I absolutely agree with this. It amounts to nothing and we end up with multiple procedure penalties as a result.

NDPhilly

Philly Torqued
Reaction score
As with last week, I think if the QBs are flipped that ND wins by 20+. Just unbelievable how uncomfortable a upper classman QB at Notre Dame is. Doesn't matter if he isnt the most physically gifted, he should be able to operate the offense against a mediocre opponent without shitting his pants.

Circa

Conspire to keep It real
Reaction score
Tommy called the game for Pyne that he should have called for Buchner, but at least he finally called it.

Speaking of Pyne, man the talent in the QB room is as low as I’ve ever seen at Notre Dame.
Tommy isn't going to call a game like that for TB because Tb can understand the playbook. TB just Isn't very good at playing the game.

notredomer23

Staph Member
Reaction score
Idk maybe I’m being a homer but it felt like they found something in the second half. Only game that feels totally a loss is Clemson and the rest are toss ups

pkt77242

IPA Man
Reaction score
If we would’ve run the ball like that, hit a couple screens like that, and thrown an angle route like that last week, we win by 14+.
To be fair, if Buchner hits a couple of open receivers last week….we probably win as well. Execution this year has been rough.

IRISHDODGER

Blue Chip Recruit
Reaction score
OL took a step (not a big one) forward.

Rees called a good game IMO <ducks> for another 1st time starter. He couldn’t control the fact that Pyne had nerves & was pissing down his leg the first quarter.

DL looked good for the most part. So many rushes didn’t quite get home despite playing a porous OL. How many times did Plummer just avoid the sack and run for the first down w/ room to spare? No adjustments.

I’m glad Joseph transferred to ND but is he truly the best option as PR?

As a fan, I instantly thought “bat the ball down!”on the final play. Then I realized I’m not a player & he thought he could secure the tip. Then I log onto Twitter & every former Domer watching the game said “knock it down!”

Back-to-back false starts by Patterson & Correll was just more gas on the fire in the 1Q…what a shitshow. Freeman’s expression was clearly “WTH”

The TE #9 (couldn’t catch his name) was very active in the blocking game. More of that please.

Foskey looks like that shoulder could be an issue the remainder of the year. Glad he was able to come back and contribute.

If Oregon’s HC doesn’t split town for Tallahassee, Lenzy never enrolls at ND.

I don’t know if it’s the turf or the cleats but I’ve seen the turf monster make numerous tackles these past 2 games in South Bend. It seems to be when the ball carrier cuts…and then he falls down w/o being touched.

At this point, I just want the coaching staff to do the following:
1. Salvage the season in a respectable fashion
2. Secure the current recruiting class
3. Hit the portal HARD and secure some WR, a QB and anyone else who can make an instant impact.

Grahambo

Varsity Club Member
Reaction score
As with last week, I think if the QBs are flipped that ND wins by 20+. Just unbelievable how uncomfortable an upper classman QB at Notre Dame is. Doesn't matter if he isnt the most physically gifted, he should be able to operate the offense against a mediocre opponent without shitting his pants.
Stetson Bennett isn’t the most physically gifted either and he’s doing quite alright. I agree with you.

T-Boone

Reaction score
Pyne's stat line actually looked good in the end.

However, we are probably going to just run the ball now and have basic passing plays. So why not get Angeli in there. He can hand off. He runs better than Pyne as far as I know. He surely passes better as well.

FWIrish4

Reaction score
If we would’ve run the ball like that, hit a couple screens like that, and thrown an angle route like that last week, we win by 14+.
I will die on this hill. Also, we still don’t run near enough play action, especially for how much we want to run the ball.

But, better overall this week with play calls.

BobbyMac

O'Skool
Staff member
Reaction score
Cal really missed my guy Brett Johnson today. If he's playing, the run game is much less successful... if 3.6 ypc is anything close to successful.

pumpdog20

Reaction score
Pyne, Rees, and the OL sucked ass in the first half. Sucked less ass in the second.

Tyree and Estime ran hard all game.

I get Mayers frustration but will always call out showing up your QB. Can't happen

Wide receivers... why have them right now

Defense, was ok in the first half and dominant late.

The crowd was good today. Except for the clowns who can't be bothered to find a green shirt... next year, make The Shirt green if you're doing a green out. Most of the ND fans not wearing green were wearing the shirt... I guess cause they poor or some shit?

Veritate Duce Progredi

A man gotta have a code
Reaction score
This was a shit game with a good ending. I can't take much from it other than that. I expect 4-5 more losses because it seems like the team needs a weaker team to bow down or gift them first downs to win.

I expect to lose next week unless we see the team finally galvanize.

Free Manera

Reaction score
Pyne, Rees, and the OL sucked ass in the first half. Sucked less ass in the second.

Tyree and Estime ran hard all game.

I get Mayers frustration but will always call out showing up your QB. Can't happen

Wide receivers... why have them right now

Defense, was ok in the first half and dominant late.

The crowd was good today. Except for the clowns who can't be bothered to find a green shirt... next year, make The Shirt green if you're doing a green out. Most of the ND fans not wearing green were wearing the shirt... I guess cause they poor or some shit?
I missed this what happened?

phillyirish

Reaction score
Idk maybe I’m being a homer but it felt like they found something in the second half. Only game that feels totally a loss is Clemson and the rest are toss ups
Clemson is looking pretty mediocre this year. I think BYU is probably our strongest opponent.

phillyirish

Reaction score
byu was blown out today
BYU didn’t look that great against Oregon
Yea just saw that. USC’s game against Stanford was propelled by 3 turnovers on Stanford’s first 4 drives. Let’s see how they look against Fresno State tonight. Either way, with the way Caleb Williams has been playing they are probably the best remaining then.

Makes it all the more the shame that we’re having a down year against this schedule…..

Last edited:

Irishdrunk

Smartest Guy in the Room
Reaction score
Get the names off the fucking jerseys! Where is Lou Holtz when you need him??

So many stupid penalties and Pyne looked awful throwing. He clearly had the jitters.

JD Bertrand’s targeting call is so poor in terms of a lack of discipline

T-Boone

Reaction score
Apparently Diggs was sick this week.
When he comes back try him out at receiver.

ndcoltsfan2010

Reaction score
Just happy for the win! Drew Pyne started really shaky. But the Defense played ok and then our OL started to take over and we finally won. There still is a ton of work left to do, but like I said 1-2 is better than 0-3!

IRISHDODGER

Blue Chip Recruit
Reaction score
The OL needs to commit to being dominant for 4 quarters. They improved today but still lack that killer instinct where they demoralize the opponent with the run game.

IrishLion

I am Beyonce, always.
Staff member
Reaction score

I honestly thought Mayer was expressing frustration with himself for not elevating sooner and pulling the ball in.

They showed him on the sidelines telling Pyne something like “hey, we’re alright!” trying to keep Pyne going after an off-target throw.