Brian Kelly to LSU, per report

INLaw

Reaction score
Dang, on the Shamrock today it was said that BK told anyone on staff that if they talked to Pete that they would be fired after his Tyson Ford story came out last offseason.
Pete Sampson? That is wild. If that is true and Pete knew and it is just now coming out then just a huge tip of the cap to Pete Sampson for being super professional

Irish4life

Reaction score
Pete Sampson? That is wild. If that is true and Pete knew and it is just now coming out then just a huge tip of the cap to Pete Sampson for being super professional
Yes, was in the most recent Shamrock podcast

INLaw

Reaction score
I mean keeping that under his hat until after Kelly was long gone is incredibly professional. I mean think how many clicks he could have chased writing a story about that anytime earlier. Pete is dry and maybe not even a fan but he os a straight shooter and that has made me always give his opinion probably the highest deference on the beat.

House16

Reaction score
I mean keeping that under his hat until after Kelly was long gone is incredibly professional. I mean think how many clicks he could have chased writing a story about that anytime earlier. Pete is dry and maybe not even a fan but he os a straight shooter and that has made me always give his opinion probably the highest deference on the beat.
Would 10x rather the journalists covering ND not be fans. Don't sugarcoat anything, don't be glass half full, just tell me the straight, unbiased, truth.

arahop

Reaction score
Lou's politics are spot on, just like his coaching.
Love Lou but go rewatch That 95 OSU game. It was playing on BIG network, I know the game has come light years since then but he had 250 LB Powlus running Option pass multiple times. 1 WR set 95 percent of the time. I didn't know shit about X and Os as a kid but man oh man was his offense the exact same. Maybe he confused Ron for Tony Rice. never ran even ProStyle back then. Split backs and 2 WRs. Lou was a great Motivator but he was behind the the times once the 90s rolled around

arahop

Reaction score
I wrote Lou a letter when I was in basic training. Only time I ever wrote a celebrity or sports figure. I don't know why, but I did. I told him that I would imagine I was in Notre Dame tryouts during the grueling military workouts and that kept me going and never giving up or slacking off.
Every word was true and sure enough, he responded. It was pretty cool.
He was awesome. Wrote him a letter in 93 when I was kid wishing him good Luck before the FSU game, (telling him I would play for him some day) Oh to be 9 again, Got a letter Boston College week and Lou said keep up your grades! Probably the highlight of my childhood.

INLaw

Reaction score
I think it was just a didn’t meet him while on campus and ignored the recruitment. He committed entirely bc of Freeman coming in as DC and busting his butt to get Tyson

Bishop2b5

SEC Exchange Student
Reaction score
Was Kelly a poor recruiter, didn't have the personal relationship skills to excel at it, was lazy about it, delegated most of it to his staff, or just hated recruiting and refused to do much of it?

MacIrish75

BIG Mayonnaise Guy
Reaction score
Was Kelly a poor recruiter, didn't have the personal relationship skills to excel at it, was lazy about it, delegated most of it to his staff, or just hated recruiting and refused to do much of it?
I think it’s fairly well established that when Kelly wanted/needed to get to work on a recruit that he could be pretty effective. But that was a rare occurrence.

I think his recruiting style is pretty much a conglomeration of every trait you listed.

allenm5333

Reaction score
Was so funny to hear. Seamed like Sampson wanted to keep it quiet, but that his boy Fortuna was ready to have Sampson's back

Jiggafini19Deux

Clam Bakes and Shitty Takes
Reaction score
Seems like a lot of people kept a lot of things to themselves as it relates to Brian Kelly until after he left. For that I think Brian Kelly should be very thankful.

Rizzophil

Reaction score
Seems like a lot of people kept a lot of things to themselves as it relates to Brian Kelly until after he left. For that I think Brian Kelly should be very thankful.
That’s pretty standard for any business if you want to climb the ladder, keep your job, etc

dublinirish

Everestt Gholstonson
Reaction score
He was set to commit to Oklahoma because he had never spoken to BK and was having conversations with Lincoln Riley every week. Freeman getting hired and stepping in is what saved the recruitment for ND.
sure it was the same thing with Angeli he knew he was 99% sure he wanted to commit to ND but had to wait a few weeks because BK hadn't bothered to ever speak to him

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
That’s pretty standard for any business if you want to climb the ladder, keep your job, etc
There were indicators from the beginning he was an asswipe. In the end, you love the one you're with. A decade and over 100 wins later, he was our asswipe during that time.

BleedBlueGold

Reaction score
I've noticed myself becoming extremely upset with more and more recruiting stories coming out about BK. He had this program humming and all it needed were a few key difference-makers to get them over the hump and he was just flat out unwilling to do it. Instead, he insisted on making excuses and pointing fingers at everyone else but himself. He chose to leave for the greener recruiting pastures of the South where we're already hearing stories about him not talking to recruits. It's a Brian Kelly problem, period. F*** that guy.

WilliamWallace

Active Member, Yes
Reaction score
For all my hard feelings for BK, I can say that if it wasn’t for him, MF wouldn’t likely be here. With that being said let’s hope he can coach like he recruits. It’s been tough being an ND fan down here in Bama land. At least since 2012.

irishff1014

Reaction score
I've noticed myself becoming extremely upset with more and more recruiting stories coming out about BK. He had this program humming and all it needed were a few key difference-makers to get them over the hump and he was just flat out unwilling to do it. Instead, he insisted on making excuses and pointing fingers at everyone else but himself. He chose to leave for the greener recruiting pastures of the South where we're already hearing stories about him not talking to recruits. It's a Brian Kelly problem, period. F*** that guy.

We should have gotten the hint they way he left Cincy. BK is about himself.

Jiggafini19Deux

Reaction score
PlasticInsistentEidolonhelvum-size_restricted.gif

ulukinatme

Powlus for QB 2023!
Reaction score
For all my hard feelings for BK, I can say that if it wasn’t for him, MF wouldn’t likely be here. With that being said let’s hope he can coach like he recruits. It’s been tough being an ND fan down here in Bama land. At least since 2012.
Tough pretty much anywhere. Buckeye country ain't a picnic either. They still use scissor lift jokes and think they're funnier than shit. Sick fucks.