Brian Kelly to LSU, per report

RDU Irish

Catholics vs. Cousins
Reaction score
He left disgruntled and passed the buck onto our athletes. He’s not as politically shrewd as he thinks he is, and some of his comments at LSU about Notre Dame don’t sit well with a fanbase that often defended his potential in the midst of failure. But hate is too strong and is more for the psychos. Kelly did a great job leading ND to consistently win the games we should have won (for the most part).

Ty Willingham says hello. I have much more animosity toward that tool. I can at least respect that Kelly built the infrastructure so badly needed to compete at a high level. After being lost so long in the Davie, Willingham, Weis desert - raising the floor will always be appreciated in my book. Kelly did not have the chops to get us over the hump - and it wasn't just recruiting holding him back.

CoachB

Reaction score
The hatred makes everybody immersed in it miss the point: BIG time athletes are going to come to LSU.
There are three LSU-vet TV announcers; all of them say that. Orgeron won. Kelly is better than him.
My unaltered view is that I want him to beat Alabama; I'd even grit my teeth and want A&M to beat Alabama.
That ultimately levels the recruitment field --- and we don't worry so much that our Keeley's are poached by
the insatiable bast@rds. ..... Big picture, gentlemen.
I don't have animosity towards Coach Kelly. Yeah, he kind of slunk away, but I don't really care. I am grateful that he has brought our program to the consistent 4-8 range. He was the best coach we had since Lou and brought ND football back to being a power. I also don't really blame him for leaving. Not saying I would, but everyone has to do what is best for him and his family. He could have seen the NIL scenario play out and gotten out before it hit the fan. He could have seen he could golf all day in LA and have a top 3 recruiting class. Shoot, he could have wanted warmer winters. Oh, and there is that guaranteed $100 million. I don't know why you all are hating. I know most of our board would have taken the same deal. I am grateful for Coach Kelly.

Some Irish Bloke

Five foot nothin', a hundred and nothin'
Reaction score
I don't have animosity towards Coach Kelly. Yeah, he kind of slunk away, but I don't really care. I am grateful that he has brought our program to the consistent 4-8 range. He was the best coach we had since Lou and brought ND football back to being a power. I also don't really blame him for leaving. Not saying I would, but everyone has to do what is best for him and his family. He could have seen the NIL scenario play out and gotten out before it hit the fan. He could have seen he could golf all day in LA and have a top 3 recruiting class. Shoot, he could have wanted warmer winters. Oh, and there is that guaranteed $100 million. I don't know why you all are hating. I know most of our board would have taken the same deal. I am grateful for Coach Kelly.
Fickell decided not to entertain any potential head coach offers until after Cincy was eliminated from playoff contention (and obviously chose to stay).

BK left in the middle of playoff contention. The timing sucked. The way he did it sucked (lying straight to Tobias Merriweather and his families faces on a visit after gobbling down a ton of their food), etc.

You don't leave ND in the middle of the season. He abandoned his troops in the middle of the fight.

Fuck em.

ab2cmiller

Troublemaker in training
Reaction score
Mostly agree with all of this. To me, it's always felt that the move was more about money than it was about him thinking he has a better shot at a championship with LSU. He got a huge contract that will guarantee a huge amount of money as he heads into retirement. It's his last contract. As others have said, it's his Golden Parachute.

Do I wish he would've handled things differently..... of course. People grumble about Weis .... he got us back on the road to recovery. People grumble about BK ..... he took us a notch higher and we became one of the top programs in the country. Hopefully Freeman can help us take the next step, but I'm grateful for both Weis and BK. Both had their flaws, but ND wouldn't be where we are today without both of them.

Jiggafini19Deux

The Pope of Greenwich Village
Reaction score
I could really care less about him unless ND is playing LSU. I went to bat for him over the years as an ND fan, both against fans of other programs and against other ND fans.

Right now, I never have to give a crap again about seeing someone on Twitter say "Brian Kelly killed at kid." That more than anything is a tremendous relief knowing that's someone else's baggage now.

ND88

Reaction score
It’s the aftermath jabs at ND/his players and the sociopathic switch to being about famuhlee. That’s the only gripe from a hater like me.

du Lac

CEO of IE
Reaction score
Finding out you’re in the top 5
Vs
Finding out you didn’t make the top 25

Attachments

• F0E81E01-9092-41C7-9C6C-E70BFDF0C2C3.jpeg
    F0E81E01-9092-41C7-9C6C-E70BFDF0C2C3.jpeg
    217.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 18E8DC7E-DABE-44E1-9DE5-EDAB22458259.jpeg
    18E8DC7E-DABE-44E1-9DE5-EDAB22458259.jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 7

Irishdrunk

Smartest Guy in the Room
Reaction score
Fickell decided not to entertain any potential head coach offers until after Cincy was eliminated from playoff contention (and obviously chose to stay).

BK left in the middle of playoff contention. The timing sucked. The way he did it sucked (lying straight to Tobias Merriweather and his families faces on a visit after gobbling down a ton of their food), etc.

You don't leave ND in the middle of the season. He abandoned his troops in the middle of the fight.

Fuck em.
He didn’t leave in the middle of the season. He left prior to the Bowl Game which is not unheard of.

If you were offered $95 Million by an AD that wanted an answer ASAP you would do this. Amazing how people claim such principles when they are not party to such financial offers. LSU wanted their search over and paid BK to jump ship now.

I don’t like it either but I understand it. Let’s stop crying about it. It’s old news.

StPaul_Irish

Reaction score
He didn’t leave in the middle of the season. He left prior to the Bowl Game which is not unheard of.

If you were offered $95 Million by an AD that wanted an answer ASAP you would do this. Amazing how people claim such principles when they are not party to such financial offers. LSU wanted their search over and paid BK to jump ship now.

I don’t like it either but I understand it. Let’s stop crying about it. It’s old news.

Is this what ND wanted when Kelly did the same thing to Cincy? Asking for a friend

Some Irish Bloke

Five foot nothin', a hundred and nothin'
Reaction score

False. It was during conference championship week. We hadn't seen the results of the Bama/UGA and Michigan/Iowa games yet and had a legitimate chance to make the playoff. And he took off.

You're wrong dude (probably drunk, have another one)

ulukinatme

Pyne for QB 2022!
Reaction score
False. It was during conference championship week. We hadn't seen the results of the Bama/UGA and Michigan/Iowa games yet and had a legitimate chance to make the playoff. And he took off.

You're wrong dude (probably drunk, have another one)
The playoff committee also said they very much take into account coaching leaving when it comes to playoff considerations, so BK leaving prior to those conference championships absolutely hurt our chances.

ab2cmiller

Troublemaker in training
Reaction score
The playoff committee also said they very much take into account coaching leaving when it comes to playoff considerations, so BK leaving prior to those conference championships absolutely hurt our chances.
Thank God. We would've been destroyed.

ND88

Reaction score
I’m going to repeat this, because many of you keep talking about the wrong things:

It’s the aftermath jabs at ND/his players and the sociopathic switch to being about famuhlee that should be the criticism of Kelly. He didn’t need to be this way. It made him look petty.

How he got here.
When he left.
Opting for more money.

None of that should be an issue. He did what was best for him. Can’t fault a person in that. Also, criticism does not mean there isn’t gratitude for the positive things he accomplished.

So, yea, discussion over. Lol.

Irishdrunk

Smartest Guy in the Room
Reaction score
I’m going to repeat this, because many of you keep talking about the wrong things:

It’s the aftermath jabs at ND/his players and the sociopathic switch to being about famuhlee that should be the criticism of Kelly. He didn’t need to be this way. It made him look petty.

How he got here.
When he left.
Opting for more money.

None of that should be an issue. He did what was best for him. Can’t fault a person in that. Also, criticism does not mean there isn’t gratitude for the positive things he accomplished.

I agree. Poking at ND when he has a big job ahead of himself at LSU....

CoachB

Reaction score

How he got here.
When he left.
Opting for more money.

I think I missed it. What did he say that was derogatory to the team?

notredomer23

Staph Member
Reaction score
Top 50 in the country Bravion Rodgers decommits from Texas A&M after a dozen or so visits there since April… only other visit was to LSU in May. Their fans think BK and L$U are dropping bags now

WaveDomer

Reaction score
LSU has won championships with solid to not great QBs. Sure Joe Burrow was a phenom, but they also won with guys like Matt Flynn. Almost every football player from Louisiana dreams of going to LSU, so any solid program there is going to get recruits. Kelly isn't Saban but he's no slouch. And he was correct that LSU will give him what he needs to win. Whether or not he does so is the question.

ndfanatic78

Reaction score
LSU has won championships with solid to not great QBs. Sure Joe Burrow was a phenom, but they also won with guys like Matt Flynn. Almost every football player from Louisiana dreams of going to LSU, so any solid program there is going to get recruits. Kelly isn't Saban but he's no slouch. And he was correct that LSU will give him what he needs to win. Whether or not he does so is the question.
I would argue ND did too, but he failed. He did lose the most games in ND history after all.

du Lac

CEO of IE
Reaction score

I would call 2007 LSU championship the end of the old era and beginning of the new. Bama hired Saban, Saban started recruiting, and the rest is history. Since then, the game has changed a lot. I think what they had with Burrow was special. If they ever get another Joe Burrow I think they have a shot. Georgia showed you can do it without Joe Burrow, but that Georgia team was something else outside of QB. Their defense was hard to find a comp. ND will win it all if TB or Carr are Trevor Lawrence or Joe Burrow good. If not, I highly doubt they actually get there. Same with LSU.