AP/Coaches Poll 2022

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
Idk why Michigan is garnering so much hype after all they lost last year, but just like USC they'll live up to the preseason nonsensical hype because they have a cupcake soft schedule in September. It's honestly a joke. Is there an easier patch to a 4-0 start in the history of the sport?

View attachment 3051214
Well they did think Appalachian St was a cupcake so maybe CO St. can pull it off?

irishfan

Irish Hoops Mod
Reaction score
I’m guessing we are 5 because of the Ohio State game right off the bat. If we play Kent State in the opener, they probably have us at 15…. Just sayin…
I don’t think coaches care about the ND/OSU game being a top-5 matchup. Not sure why they would.

House16

Reaction score
On an ND note, the only team outside of the top 25 that received votes was BYU. So again, anything worse than 8-4 is of grave concern about Freeman's coaching ability, and even 8-4 would be a bit alarming.
I think @UNC could be really tricky, but the point still stands. We have 7 cupcake games: Marshall, Cal, Stanford, UNLV, BC, @Cuse, and vs. Navy are all ranked #59 or worse in ESPN FPI. Losing to any of those 7 would be "grave concern" level imo and going 0-5 against the 5 tricky/hard games would be "grave concern" as well.

Honestly 8-4 with non-blowout losses to OSU, Clemson, USC, and BYU with a win @UNC would not necessarily cause me to hit the panic button, though. 9-3 seems like the best bet.

ACamp1900

Counting my ‘bet against ND’ winnings
Reaction score
I’d have had BYU in at around 21-23 honestly

Reaper97

Reaction score
I think @UNC could be really tricky, but the point still stands. We have 7 cupcake games: Marshall, Cal, Stanford, UNLV, BC, @Cuse, and vs. Navy are all ranked #59 or worse in ESPN FPI. Losing to any of those 7 would be "grave concern" level imo and going 0-5 against the 5 tricky/hard games would be "grave concern" as well.

Honestly 8-4 with non-blowout losses to OSU, Clemson, USC, and BYU with a win @UNC would not necessarily cause me to hit the panic button, though. 9-3 seems like the best bet.
ND is a top 5 team, returning an great to elite DL, really good LB corps, two NFL caliber DBs (Joseph & Hart), a great to elite OL, a really good stable of RBs, a good WR stable (really good with TEs) and a dynamic dual QB.
ND has more talent then 10 of the 12 teams, possible 11 (Clemson is close either way), on the schedule.
9-3 would concern me a little, 8-4 will concern me a lot.

House16

Reaction score
ND is a top 5 team, returning an great to elite DL, really good LB corps, two NFL caliber DBs (Joseph & Hart), a great to elite OL, a really good stable of RBs, a good WR stable (really good with TEs) and a dynamic dual QB.
ND has more talent then 10 of the 12 teams, possible 11 (Clemson is close either way), on the schedule.
9-3 would concern me a little, 8-4 will concern me a lot.
Disagree with your summary of QB, RB, and WR. Buchner has tons of potential but has been a mediocre P5 QB in the little we’ve seen of him. The stable of RBs is Tyree (who hasn’t been dominant or stayed healthy) a RS frosh, and a true frosh. Far from dominant or even a stable. That improves when Diggs returns, but he’s no surefire draft pick. And WR runs 5 deep at the moment; Salerno is probably going to get meaningful PT against OSU. There are probably 25 teams that I would trade our QB/RB/WR rooms for right now; that’s a major problem if we expect double digit wins.

Vegas set our win total at 8.5. If we get to 9 that’s a good season, it’s not concerning at all. Let’s set realistic expectations for freeman.

DONTH8

DefinitelynotCoachD
Reaction score

I added this to the OP but will put here as well.

No Texas is interesting. I mean, they had a 1st place vote in the Coaches...

Also, BYU comes in at 25.

IHateMarkMay

IHateDavidPollackToo
Reaction score
Do voters think Clemson is actually the fourth best team in the nation or are voters looking at a cupcake schedule (minus ND) and thinking they should go 11-1 at the worst?

DONTH8

DefinitelynotCoachD
Reaction score
Do voters think Clemson is actually the fourth best team in the nation or are voters looking at a cupcake schedule (minus ND) and thinking they should go 11-1 at the worst?
Maybe a little of both? Their defense should be great talent-wise (coaching is obviously going to take a hit but how big). Their offense can't be worse... right?... Right???

IHateMarkMay

IHateDavidPollackToo
Reaction score
Maybe a little of both? Their defense should be great talent-wise (coaching is obviously going to take a hit but how big). Their offense can't be worse... right?... Right???
You'd have to think Uiangelele has an extremely short leash this year. I know nothing else besides they struggled last year and both of their coordinators bolted.

Crazy Balki

Site Assigned Optimist
Reaction score
You'd have to think Uiangelele has an extremely short leash this year. I know nothing else besides they struggled last year and both of their coordinators bolted.
The question remains if Klubnik can be another Trevor Lawrence/Deshaun Watson. Those guys aren't exactly a dime a dozen and Clemson hitting on two immediately college ready freshman was pretty miraculous. Not to say Klubnik can't be a great QB, but it's a lot to ask of him to be the guy as a true freshman.

DONTH8

DefinitelynotCoachD
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm with you. But if you have an elite defense it usually means you will be successful. It would be hard for the new DC to mess up a DL with Bryan Breese and Myles Murphy (probably 2 first-rounders this year) and Trenton Simpson at LB and Andrew Mukuba at S coming back. They have the talent required to be a National Championship caliber defense.

On offense they have like over 70% of their production coming back I think? Will Shipley, Kobe Pace, and Phil Mafah were their 3 best backs last year. All are back. And they return 4 of their 5 best receivers and 4 of their 5 OL. On paper, they should be poised to have a very successful year. They went 10-3 last year with a subpar performance at QB and offense as a whole. Thinking they run the table this year is not out of the question. Their only challenge is ND and maybe a surprise team from the ACC... NCState maybe?

HouseofPain

Reaction score
Losing to USC and BYU would necessitate the panic button. Neither of those teams should be a threat. Not saying USC wont in the near future but if ND is losing with their roster and a 1st year coach, then yes, lots to panic about.

ThePiombino

The OG "TP"
Reaction score
I mean look at their schedule. Not sure what the SOS is, but we are BY FAR their most difficult opponent. Who knows what Miami will look like by the end of the season, but I just don't see more than 1 loss for the VERY LIKELY ACC conf champ.

notredomer23

Staph Member
Reaction score
BYU's schedule is pretty crazy for them. Vs Baylor, @ Oregon, vs ND, vs Arkansas, @ Boise, @ Stanford.

DONTH8

DefinitelynotCoachD
Reaction score
BYU's schedule is pretty crazy for them. Vs Baylor, @ Oregon, vs ND, vs Arkansas, @ Boise, @ Stanford.
Would be awesome if they could somehow knock off Baylor and Oregon and come into our game undefeated and maybe top 10-15 because I think ND matches up extremely well against them. But the odds of that are very slim. Most likely they drop both and are unranked.

drayer54

Reaction score

I added this to the OP but will put here as well.

No Texas is interesting. I mean, they had a 1st place vote in the Coaches...

Also, BYU comes in at 25.

I hope it was Venables that made the 1 vote for Texas. That would be great.

Texas lost to Kansas last year, so....

Pops Freshenmeyer

Reaction score
The board should be significantly more hyped for this team than it is. This is a very complete team that is a 2015 Deshone Kizer performance from Tyler Buchner away from a playoff birth.
It would probably be easier to get hyped if it weren't for the looming season opener.

ACamp1900

Reaction score
BYU should be there,… it was other polls without them that stood out to me,… we are too high imo,… I’d have us at around 10/11

condoms SUCk

Varsity Club Member
Reaction score
The board should be significantly more hyped for this team than it is. This is a very complete team that is a 2015 Deshone Kizer performance from Tyler Buchner away from a playoff birth.
I hear ya...just too many unknowns for me to get too excited...and yeah that OSU game is exciting but it's hard to get supper pumped when you're most likely staring at a loss to start the season.

ACamp1900

Reaction score
1660585911793.gif