Al Golden - Defensive Coordinator

Jiggafini19Deux

What do you hillbillies want?
Reaction score
No one of relevance seems to be mentioning him about NFL DC jobs.

There are a dozen openings right now (???). Assumption is his phone is ringing at worst.

KPENN

Staff member
Reaction score
I wonder if ND offered Golden the same deal as Denbrock. Mike Frank made it seem like it might be a 4 year deal

IrishLax

Something Witty
Staff member
Reaction score
He's not going to make more money in the NFL so the only reason to leave would either be location or quality of life. NFL is less stable than his current job at ND and he doesn't really have to "hustle" in recruiting because we're getting that from Freeman. There aren't that many incentives for him to leave.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
He's not going to make more money in the NFL so the only reason to leave would either be location or quality of life. NFL is less stable than his current job at ND and he doesn't really have to "hustle" in recruiting because we're getting that from Freeman. There aren't that many incentives for him to leave.
He also has a ton coming back. If our defense next season lives up to its potential, he could write his own ticket this time next year.

IrishSteelhead

All Flair, No Substance
Reaction score
What a great problem to have.

First, Porker gets poached to become a HC, now Golden is flirting with the NFL?

Freeman coaching tree has strong roots, and we are only a decade form BVG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luckylucci

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What a great problem to have.

First, Porker gets poached to become a HC, now Golden is flirting with the NFL?

Freeman coaching tree has strong roots, and we are only a decade form BVG.

I’m assuming this is tongue in cheek. But I feel compelled to ask…

Golden is a part of Freeman’s coaching tree?

And, Porker is considered a success?

IrishSteelhead

All Flair, No Substance
Reaction score
I’m assuming this is tongue in cheek. But I feel compelled to ask…

Golden is a part of Freeman’s coaching tree?

And, Porker is considered a success?

Definitely sarcasm on Porker, but technically Golden, and even Tommy Rees could be considered part of MF’s coaching tree if you go by the standard criteria:

“The most common way to make the distinction is if a coach worked as an assistant on a particular head coach's staff for at least a season then that coach can be counted as being a branch on the head coach's coaching tree.”

greyhammer90

the drunk piano player
Reaction score
If you consider Kiffin and Sark in Saban's coaching tree, which most people do, I don't see why not. They had both been head coaches at major jobs and had a ton of experience being coordinators before they worked with Saban. They're also clearly in Pete Caroll's coaching tree, so you're not limited to being in just one coaching tree.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
Definitely sarcasm on Porker, but technically Golden, and even Tommy Rees could be considered part of MF’s coaching tree if you go by the standard criteria:

“The most common way to make the distinction is if a coach worked as an assistant on a particular head coach's staff for at least a season then that coach can be counted as being a branch on the head coach's coaching tree.”

Golden is more like a foster child than one of MF's own.

NDdomer2

Local Sports vBookie
Reaction score
almost our entire coaching staff is from the BK coaching tree.

Wonder why there isnt an absurd amount of hate for these guys like there are for others tied to BK?

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
Golden is more like a foster child than one of MF's own.
Golden was head coach of a college football team when Marcus Freeman was playing on one. Golden's more like a cool older cousin.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score

Wonder why there isnt an absurd amount of hate for these guys like there are for others tied to BK?
?
These are the coaches our coaches came up under...

Denbrock - Kelly
Gino - Fickell
DMC - all over, but broke in with Kevin Wilson at Indiana
Brown - Fickell
Rudolph - Paul Chryst, mostly

Golden - Has held a lot of jobs but never worked with BK
Washington - Steve Addazio at BC and then Ryan Day
Mickens - Two years w/BK, yes, but before that Fickell and worked for Dino Babers at Bowling Green
O'Leary - BK/Clark Lea
Biagy - Who could forget that he was an analyst w/us in 2016! But his first P5 staff job was with Purdue under Jeff Brohm.

The only people you'd really say are "from" BK's tree are Denbrock and I guess O'Leary. Mickens and maybe Biagy if you want to stretch the definition. A majority of our coaches have never worked with Kelly, or much for anyone who worked under Kelly other than Freeman. If you think of Fickell and Addazio as being in the Urban Meyer tree, there's considerably more Meyer lineage on our staff than Kelly, TBH.

Katzenboyer

Reaction score
?
These are the coaches our coaches came up under...

Denbrock - Kelly
Gino - Fickell
DMC - all over, but broke in with Kevin Wilson at Indiana
Brown - Fickell
Rudolph - Paul Chryst, mostly

Golden - Has held a lot of jobs but never worked with BK
Washington - Steve Addazio at BC and then Ryan Day
Mickens - Two years w/BK, yes, but before that Fickell and worked for Dino Babers at Bowling Green
O'Leary - BK/Clark Lea
Biagy - Who could forget that he was an analyst w/us in 2016! But his first P5 staff job was with Purdue under Jeff Brohm.

The only people you'd really say are "from" BK's tree are Denbrock and I guess O'Leary. Mickens and maybe Biagy if you want to stretch the definition. A majority of our coaches have never worked with Kelly, or much for anyone who worked under Kelly other than Freeman. If you think of Fickell and Addazio as being in the Urban Meyer tree, there's considerably more Meyer lineage on our staff than Kelly, TBH.

Yeah, I view MF, Gino, Brown, and Mickens as part of Fickell's tree, not BK.

Golden never coached with Kelly as far as I know, and neither did Rudolph. Washington and DMC crossed paths with Kelly for his final year here, but I don't consider that qualifying.

The only true Kelly guy is Denbrock.

KPENN

Staff member
Reaction score

First, it’s not almost the entire staff. Second, the other weren’t nepotism hires that held the team back.

NDdomer2

Local Sports vBookie
Reaction score

Just using this definition here!

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
Yeah, I view MF, Gino, Brown, and Mickens as part of Fickell's tree, not BK.

Golden never coached with Kelly as far as I know, and neither did Rudolph. Washington and DMC crossed paths with Kelly for his final year here, but I don't consider that qualifying.

The only true Kelly guy is Denbrock.
Pretty sure Freeman hired Washington and DMC after he got the head coach job. They never worked with Kelly.
Washington replaced Elston after his coordinator tryout, and DMC replaced Lance Taylor who left to be OC at Louisville.

Katzenboyer

Reaction score
Pretty sure Freeman hired Washington and DMC after he got the head coach job. They never worked with Kelly.
Washington replaced Elston after his coordinator tryout, and DMC replaced Lance Taylor who left to be OC at Louisville.

Ah, ok. Got my timing mixed up.

So yeah. Not a lot of Kelly guys on this staff!

BoredIrish

Reaction score

Interesting that Max Bullough is on the road recruiting. I guess Golden got a pass to stay home.