SoIll

Licensed to Ill
Reaction score
he and Lange have work to do.

Lange is doable

Shanklin is not

JD Irish

Reaction score
It makes absolutely no sense that ND has been heavily recruiting him for a year and ND is the perceived leader--and then suddenly in April of his junior year an incurable issue with his transcript appears out of nowhere and ND is completely done with him.

PutuporShutup

Reaction score
It makes absolutely no sense that ND has been heavily recruiting him for a year and ND is the perceived leader--and then suddenly in April of his junior year an incurable issue with his transcript appears out of nowhere and ND is completely done with him.
ND has bent over backwards to be upfront and inform recruits what needs to happen.

I have no clue what happened here, but more times than not, the player/recruit doesn't do what they needed to do for whatever reason.

FightingIrishLover7

All troll, no substance
Reaction score
This actually makes, the most sense. ND's MO is to reach out to kids while young enough to tell them what they need to do to get in. They told Shanklin then what he needed to do. Then they found out recently he did not meet that. And now they move on. Very straight forward.

The opposite of Tae Johnson. ND told Tae what he had to do to get in, and he put his head down and did it.

CanadalovesND

Reaction score
If his transcripts are already iffy, and the staff didn't get a positive update with his latest grades, they could feel that they may be putting too much resources and time into someone that isn't going to get passed admissions. Doesn't help either that Shanklin isn't planning to narrow his recruitment, and in fact, wants to explore more options.

GrangerIrish24

I bring nothing to the table
Reaction score
This actually makes, the most sense. ND's MO is to reach out to kids while young enough to tell them what they need to do to get in. They told Shanklin then what he needed to do. Then they found out recently he did not meet that. And now they move on. Very straight forward.

The opposite of Tae Johnson. ND told Tae what he had to do to get in, and he put his head down and did it.
This is what happened with Stepp. They told him exactly what to do.

Katzenboyer

Reaction score

It does when you look at the calendar.

First step is evaluation/offer. Next step in that process is getting the academic credentials. That's where we are now - kids are getting transcripts to schools recruiting them, and Shanklin's came in and ND saw it wasn't viable.

Don't know if it's GPA, coursework, or a combination of the two, but ND looked at what the transcript said and most likely realized the kid wasn't going to get in.

Last edited:

Blazers46

My adjectives are wise, brilliant and handsome.
Reaction score
From what I'm hearing, he's not going to taking a foreign

It does when you look at the calendar.

First step is evaluation/offer. Next step in that process is getting the academic credentials. That's where we are now - kids are getting transcripts to schools recruiting them, and Shanklin's came in and ND saw it wasn't viable.

Don't know if it's GPA, coursework, or a combination of the two, but ND looked at what the transcript said and most likely realized the kid wasn't going to get in.
Foreign classes were a breeze in HS. I’m surprised people are resistant to taking them.

NDMatt91

Reaction score
I thought Kelly got Admissions to get rid of the foreign language requirement? Regardless, it was a stupid requirement to begin with. IIRC, that cost us Byron Marshall who ended up at Oregon and was a stud. Marshall was a terrific student and had an offer from Stanford but ND couldn't take him because of the foreign language requirement.

NDpendent

Reaction score
Foreign classes were a breeze in HS. I’m surprised people are resistant to taking them.
Foreign language was by far my hardest class, barely passed. It was the only class I really struggled in.

Blazers46

My adjectives are wise, brilliant and handsome.
Reaction score
Foreign language was by far my hardest class, barely passed. It was the only class I really struggled in.
Yeah I guess it’s a mixed bag depending on language taken and learning styles. Some of the smartest people I have ever known struggled and some of the dumbest excelled somehow.

To be fair I struggled with English, lol.

jason_h537

The King is Back
Reaction score
I thought Kelly got Admissions to get rid of the foreign language requirement? Regardless, it was a stupid requirement to begin with. IIRC, that cost us Byron Marshall who ended up at Oregon and was a stud. Marshall was a terrific student and had an offer from Stanford but ND couldn't take him because of the foreign language requirement.

It did not cost us Byron Marshall. Notre Dame told him he needed to take a class to get into ND and he refused. If he wanted to go to Notre Dame he would have taken that class. Every player is told what they need to do to get into Notre Dame and every kid that signs did what was needed. We saw this play out last year with Tae Johnson.

We don't know what is preventing Shanklin or Lange from joining this class but considering how long they have been recruited it is safe to assume the staff let both kids know what was needed to get into Notre Dame and as of now they have chosen to not do it. That is the choice they made. This has nothing to do with relaxed admissions and everything to do with the kids making a decision.

I would love for Shanklin to be in this class but it sounds like he chose not to be.

NDMatt91

Reaction score
It did not cost us Byron Marshall. Notre Dame told him he needed to take a class to get into ND and he refused. If he wanted to go to Notre Dame he would have taken that class. Every player is told what they need to do to get into Notre Dame and every kid that signs did what was needed. We saw this play out last year with Tae Johnson.
That's still stupid, though. If a player is able to get through admissions at Stanford then there should be no issue with them getting through admissions at ND.

jason_h537

The King is Back
Reaction score
That's still stupid, though. If a player is able to get through admissions at Stanford then there should be no issue with them getting through admissions at ND.
And who is the HS kid that passed admissions to Stanford and couldn't get into ND? Was it Bryon Marshall? He went to Oregon. Is it Shanklin? Because Stanford does not admit players this early.

If a high school Spanish class is preventing you from going to Notre Dame than you never wanted to really go to Notre Dame.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
Notre Dame requires - I believe - two semesters of foreign language as an admissions requirement for all students. Stanford does not.

I get how this can be a barrier for recruits we’re not in on until their senior year of high school (like the safety commit last year who wound up at Michigan). But with most of them there is plenty of lead time to line up a couple of basic high school Spanish classes. If a kid doesn’t care/want to, at some level that’s their decision.

T-Boone

Reaction score
It would be good if this wasn’t a barrier for ND unless there is some awesome reason for it.

Do you have to study a language when at ND?

CanadalovesND

Reaction score
It would be good if this wasn’t a barrier for ND unless there is some awesome reason for it.

Some ten or so years ago, you did. I vividly remember a "day in the life" video on NDs sports YouTube page featuring Cierre Wood, where he was taking Portuguese because it was required for ND student athletes (to take a language course)

Starts around 1:45 mark

ab2cmiller

Troublemaker in training
Reaction score
Both the College of Arts and Letters and the College of Science require their undergraduate students to take some foreign language courses during their time at Notre Dame. Other colleges and institutes do not require foreign language courses, but they are highly recommended for a well-rounded and diverse college portfolio.

Cierre Wood was majoring in Film, Television and Theater in the College of Arts and Letters

rtrn2glory

Reaction score
So what exactly is the foreign language requirement for incoming freshmen?

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
So what exactly is the foreign language requirement for incoming freshmen?
This here says two "units" of a foreign language that is offered at Notre Dame. A unit = a year, though I wonder if one can do some of that over the summer or something.