'24 IN S Tae Johnson (Notre Dame Signee)

benneboy

And I own every kind of classic car!
Reaction score
I believe nothing is tying him to Notre Dame until he returns and enrolls in 2026. He could easily just show up at BYU (which he will.)
To his point, nothing really ties anyone to anywhere at this point other then some paperwork.

Luckylucci

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I believe nothing is tying him to Notre Dame until he returns and enrolls in 2026. He could easily just show up at BYU (which he will.)
Which is why I find it somewhat odd they're spending so much time on him. They must be rather high on this young man because he's seemingly getting quite the treatment for a guy who's not an immediate contributor.

IAIrish

The Dude Abides
Reaction score
Which is why I find it somewhat odd they're spending so much time on him. They must be rather high on this young man because he's seemingly getting quite the treatment for a guy who's not an immediate contributor.
Agreed. Does anyone else get Chris Badger flashbacks when discussing Andrews recruitment?

I remember when Chris Badger committed. I believe he enrolled early for his freshman year and then took the mission.
Hansen did a story on him for sbt back then and if i recall correctly, the crux was how difficult it was to maintain/regain the athleticism after he returned from Ecuador. Eventually went back to Utah/ byu.

Sea Turtle

Slow and steady wins the race
Reaction score
Agreed. Does anyone else get Chris Badger flashbacks when discussing Andrews recruitment?

I remember when Chris Badger committed. I believe he enrolled early for his freshman year and then took the mission.
Hansen did a story on him for sbt back then and if i recall correctly, the crux was how difficult it was to maintain/regain the athleticism after he returned from Ecuador. Eventually went back to Utah/ byu.

Yep. Two years of no football is no good.

Blazers46

My adjectives are wise, brilliant and handsome.
Reaction score
Where's Wooly to fix this grammar when you need him?
I thought I saw him on campus today being golf carted around leaving the Eck Center/Hammes Bookstore. I also thought I saw others being carted around as well. Definitely parents and abnormally big high school athletes.

jason_h537

The King is Back
Reaction score
If missions actually gave teams advantage Saban would be sending frosh to the Brazilian Amazon every year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think it is about that. The point is that BYU and Utah are both teams full of kids who go to missions. It isn't an advantage or disadvantage, it is always about the individual.

Andrews is an interesting athlete that doesn't affect the numbers until 2026. If he comes back great? If not what did they lose? Every year we take kids who don't work out. If the staff likes him then take him.

dublinirish

Everestt Gholstonson
Reaction score
I don't think it is about that. The point is that BYU and Utah are both teams full of kids who go to missions. It isn't an advantage or disadvantage, it is always about the individual.

Andrews is an interesting athlete that doesn't affect the numbers until 2026. If he comes back great? If not what did they lose? Every year we take kids who don't work out. If the staff likes him then take him.

The BYU HC was on that coach cast for the national championship game few years back and he said the missions were an absolute disadvantage to them but they are part of Mormon faith so what could he do

IrishLion

I am Beyonce, always.
Staff member
Reaction score
The BYU HC was on that coach cast for the national championship game few years back and he said the missions were an absolute disadvantage to them but they are part of Mormon faith so what could he do

Plus, Utah and BYU probably have a small pipeline of guys on the “contributing in two years” track. They can account for it and plan for it, because they have dealt with it before and will deal with it with multiple guys over a 4-year cycle.

At a place like ND, you aren’t recruiting and planning your depth chart around a single guy going on a mission. You’re dealing with year-to-year impact and need immediate answers. A guy being gone for two years is likely getting passed up by other guys that stuck around on the roster and developed, or by the flavor-of-the month frosh/transfer.

Honestly kind of pointless to recruit a dude who is delaying enrollment for two years and might not be maintaining/improving his football acumen while away, but that’s just imo.

ColinKSU

Reaction score

It isn’t great regardless, but it definitely depends where they’re sent. Badger went to Ecuador, I think Kia is in North Carolina(?)

It’s a lot easier to get good food and access to fitness equipment if you aren’t sent to a third-world country.

IAIrish

The Dude Abides
Reaction score
It isn’t great regardless, but it definitely depends where they’re sent. Badger went to Ecuador, I think Kia is in North Carolina(?)

It’s a lot easier to get good food and access to fitness equipment if you aren’t sent to a third-world country.
Excellent point. This isn't Rocky IV.

IAIrish

The Dude Abides
Reaction score
Plus, Utah and BYU probably have a small pipeline of guys on the “contributing in two years” track. They can account for it and plan for it, because they have dealt with it before and will deal with it with multiple guys over a 4-year cycle.

At a place like ND, you aren’t recruiting and planning your depth chart around a single guy going on a mission. You’re dealing with year-to-year impact and need immediate answers. A guy being gone for two years is likely getting passed up by other guys that stuck around on the roster and developed, or by the flavor-of-the month frosh/transfer.

Honestly kind of pointless to recruit a dude who is delaying enrollment for two years and might not be maintaining/improving his football acumen while away, but that’s just imo.
Well said.

Maybe Andrews is the type of prospect worth that time investment. Staff must think so. And who knows. Maybe he changes his mind and comes for a year, then pulls a T'eo.😈

Just glad this staff tried the volume approach if there wasn't another Bowen out there.

NDFAN2008

Reaction score
Andrews is visting another school this weekend so is the staff passing on him too?

arrowryan

Reaction score
Andrews is visting another school this weekend so is the staff passing on him too?

Did Andrews want to commit to ND? If not, I don’t see why that would be a problem.

That was the issue with Mencke. Sounds like he wanted to commit, but still take visits. Staff told him to kick rocks.