'24 IL DL Justin Scott (Miami [FL] Verbal)

jason_h537

The King is Back
Reaction score
lax come on they have all been in this business long enough to know the way that recruitment was going it was unlikely to be ND. Actions and the smoke at the end.

We can point to Moore as well.

The point remains that these guys dont have enough information to know whats happening next so by saying "im sticking with my prediction" means nothing in relation to what may actually unfold.
I don't understand this. I am a reporter, I am being told by every source that X is going to happen. What should I do with that information?

You guys seem to get upset that guys like Loy and ISD report what they have as opposed to editorializing. Or worse get mad that these guys can't accurately predict the actions of a teenager.

Bowen told everyone he was going to Notre Dame. The class thought he was coming. His mom was shocked that he picked Oregon. Moore committed to the staff. That was accurate information. Do you want them to lie? To go "with their gut"?

The whole recruiting industry is built of off the decisions of teenage boys. Guess what, they will surprise people sometimes. And even when all the smoke says X, they will sometimes do Y.

Justin Scott said he was going to commit on the 31st. All signs pointed to Notre Dame. That is what was reported. Now maybe things changed or maybe they haven't, who fucking knows? But because things changed, doesn't mean they were wrong yesterday. It is our fault for being so invested in something that won't be concluded until December.

irish4ever

Reaction score
Visiting Georgia. He gone.
Yep! The Dawg factor plus the fuckin' NIL. New era guys! Money talks, especially with teenagers. I wasn't confident with the Loy CB on this one from the get-go, so I'm not in a "distress mode" over this. After Payton Bowen's "delusional hat tricks" with LYING, etc. to the staff and his "future" teammatess the night before signing day (what a PRICK!), nothing will surprise me anymore on commitments. Plus, the portal is nothing more than what we did as kids .... trading cards! I'll give you so-and-so IF you give me this player. College sports of that past are gone! Again, as bad as it sucks, it's a new era and as fans, deal with it! Peace out and GO IRISH!

NDpendent

Reaction score
Yep! The Dawg factor plus the fuckin' NIL. New era guys! Money talks, especially with teenagers. I wasn't confident with the Loy CB on this one from the get-go, so I'm not in a "distress mode" over this. After Payton Bowen's "delusional hat tricks" with LYING, etc. to the staff and his "future" teammatess the night before signing day (what a PRICK!), nothing will surprise me anymore on commitments. Plus, the portal is nothing more than what we did as kids .... trading cards! I'll give you so-and-so IF you give me this player. College sports of that past are gone! Again, as bad as it sucks, it's a new era and as fans, deal with it! Peace out and GO IRISH!
You might have to eat crow on this one

NDdomer2

Local Sports vBookie
Reaction score
I don't understand this. I am a reporter, I am being told by every source that X is going to happen. What should I do with that information?

You guys seem to get upset that guys like Loy and ISD report what they have as opposed to editorializing. Or worse get mad that these guys can't accurately predict the actions of a teenager.

Bowen told everyone he was going to Notre Dame. The class thought he was coming. His mom was shocked that he picked Oregon. Moore committed to the staff. That was accurate information. Do you want them to lie? To go "with their gut"?

The whole recruiting industry is built of off the decisions of teenage boys. Guess what, they will surprise people sometimes. And even when all the smoke says X, they will sometimes do Y.

Justin Scott said he was going to commit on the 31st. All signs pointed to Notre Dame. That is what was reported. Now maybe things changed or maybe they haven't, who fucking knows? But because things changed, doesn't mean they were wrong yesterday. It is our fault for being so invested in something that won't be concluded until December.
I am not upset. All I was saying is that we shouldn't take anything by a reporter saying he is sticking with his prediction for the exact reasons above. He is essentially saying the last info I got is what I'm going with.

Sticking with a prediction =/= confidence

INLaw

Hardcore chooch
Reaction score
Tying Bowen to every other recruit's situation is a narrative that has already gotten terribly old and stale. Move on and get over it, for those of you who have not. JFC.

Justin Scott has fuck all to do with Bowen. The end.
You know what is a slap dick move is telling others emoting on a message board what to do like your their mama

IAIrish

The Dude Abides
Reaction score
Having followed recruiting for almost 30 years, it's more entertaining than it ever was, especially factoring in the built in escape hatch the portal provides. The key is taking it for what it's worth: entertainment. Easier said than done, i know.
Hard to blame Scott for reevaluating his options when the 2x title winners come calling, who also put players at his position at an elite level.
Ps. I Hope Freeman is still recruiting Bowen. Or at least has a recruiting staffer regularly following up ghost writer style. Gone are the days of stopping recruiting a blue chip after the digital ink is dry. If Freeman thinks his talent is worth it, Bowen has shown he's a indecisive young man who's mind can be influenced/ changed. Stay on him.

MacIrish75

They scanned my cat. I can play!
Reaction score
Having followed recruiting for almost 30 years, it's more entertaining than it ever was, especially factoring in the built in escape hatch the portal provides. The key is taking it for what it's worth: entertainment. Easier said than done, i know.
Hard to blame Scott for reevaluating his options when the 2x title winners come calling, who also put players at his position at an elite level.
Ps. I Hope Freeman is still recruiting Bowen. Or at least has a recruiting staffer regularly following up ghost writer style. Gone are the days of stopping recruiting a blue chip after the digital ink is dry. If Freeman thinks his talent is worth it, Bowen has shown he's a indecisive young man who's mind can be influenced/ changed. Stay on him.
I completely agree with the bolded. Same with any player we’ve really been in on. Keeley also. You never know how things are going to shake out in 9-12 months time.

Chicago Domer

Reaction score
In general, most commits stick. That said, I’ll take as many high 4 or 5 star commits early as I can get and when 2 -4 decommit, we still have a great class.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
When he does some of these posters will have to be on suicide watch.
We do have a group that are die-hard glass half empty fans. I think it's a small group compared to most of our posters, but they do tend to be more vocal and quick to post.

Jiggafini19Deux

What do you hillbillies want?
Reaction score
People need to chill. He hasn’t even adjusted his announcement.
87e8c83f-fa53-42b2-bbb7-69755bc485eb.5672593af8078275dcb4d40fbf677c5c.jpeg

Irishdrunk

Not Banned Yet
Reaction score
I think posters who think ND is going to be winning a Natty anytime soon will lose their mind over and over again. We simply are not going to win a Natty with NIL.

If you adjust appropriately ND's ceiling to a NY Bowl then you will find losing out on all these five stars won't be such a traumatic experience.

Acceptance is the beginning of the road to recovery.

ab2cmiller

Troublemaker in training
Reaction score
I think posters who think ND is going to be winning a Natty anytime soon will lose their mind over and over again. We simply are not going to win a Natty with NIL.

If you adjust appropriately ND's ceiling to a NY Bowl then you will find losing out on all these five stars won't be such a traumatic experience.

Then everyone should've been content with BK

Irishdrunk

Not Banned Yet
Reaction score
Then everyone should've been content with BK

Agreed.

I think Freeman likely would have done better than Kelly but unfortunately the NIL issue really has and will continue to stymie his efforts to land the coveted top recruits and 5 stars. Had there been no NIL the gap in recruiting would have been more pronounced. We would truly be "shopping down a different aisle."

Irishdrunk

Not Banned Yet
Reaction score
I think the fan base mostly was?

Anyway, BK had an easier row to hoe than Freeman. At least in the back half of his tenure. I think he saw the writing on the wall.

Agreed. Its hard to win a Natty at ND. No ND fans really want to admit to that. Instead they excoriate BK for leaving. They say its the way he left but that sounds like a scorned woman scenario. Kelly smartly went to a football factory. Whether he wins a Natty or not - who knows.

I just think ND has high academic standards, Non-Conference, and so many other factors that greatly reduce the recruiting pool. NIL is merely the final nail in the coffin.

Irishdrunk

Not Banned Yet
Reaction score
I wonder if Freeman has approached ND Admin wondering if NIL promises could be made upfront.

It has to kill him to lose 3 Five Stars last season and likely to lose more this 2024 cycle. I am sure ND would tell Freeman they won't agree to upfront promises but I would think he would at least try to have this conversation.

The juxtaposition with Ryan Day stating openly he needed $13MM and Saban saying he was going to pay $1MM at least for the starting QB......

This is all so messed up.

NDpendent

Reaction score

I am in the boat where I think ND will win a championship in the next 5 year but I'm not going to lose my mind if they don't. Its more the pessimistic fans who loose "their mind over and over." Optimistic fans have a much better mindset then pessimistic fans when shit doesn't go their way