‘23 VA ATH Brandyn Hillman (Offer)

Jiggafini19Deux

Clam Bakes and Shitty Takes
Reaction score
So what are the chances that he's being recruited as a QB?
Based on the fact he is likely to commit, I'd say slim.
Earlier in the thread, his coach remarked that once he became open to safety and sent out some defensive highlights, the offers started pouring in. Has anyone seen a QB highlight of him THROWING the ball? I've yet to see one. His QB highlights, while impressive, is just him lined up in the shotgun and taking off running. It's Wildcat 2022.

Getting another guy in the DB room is a good thing.

arrowryan

Reaction score
Is there any film of him in coverage? I appreciate his love for contact and hitting kids into next week, but I thought there'd be more than that.

Clearly, the 9 P5 offers he landed in just a few days says a lot about his potential on defense. Maybe he'll be more of a strong safety and play closer to the LOS.

Bluto

Reaction score
Looks like he had the potential to be a pretty good linebacker in a nickel type defense.

Luckylucci

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

While responding to a question on the ISD board, after posting their Recruiting Intel article, Christian said that everytime he’s asked about Hillman, it’s made clear it’s primarily about offense. Seems noteworthy.

fightingirish26

Reaction score
Considering the numbers we have at all our offensive skill positions this class, it would have to be QB then, right?

CanadalovesND

Reaction score
Considering the numbers we have at all our offensive skill positions this class, it would have to be QB then, right?

He just does not project well as a QB. The staff doesn't seem to mind to load up on offensive skill players this class. They have a depth concern, and they are looking for instant difference makers, so they are casting a wide net. It may unbalance the scholarship distribution, but I do believe the staff has a bit of early information on how their roster will look in the spring - ie. transfers out.

I believe someone said that the staff may give Hillman a crack at QB if he wants. But, I mean, we have PWOs that can help run the scout team.

Luckylucci

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I’d be surprised if it was at QB. Heck, I was surprised to read that was for offense. But I’m with Canada, bring in the playmakers and let them figure it out.

fightingirish26

Reaction score
I don't want him at QB at all, it would be a major failure for Rees if he's the guy.

Limar
Edwards
Love
James
Flores
Greathouse
Lyons/barnes/mays
Hillman

That's a lot of guys, hope we don't chase off one or more of our current WR commits trying to fix the depth in a single cycle.

CanadalovesND

Reaction score
I don't want him at QB at all, it would be a major failure for Rees if he's the guy.

Limar
Edwards
Love
James
Flores
Greathouse
Lyons/barnes/mays
Hillman

That's a lot of guys, hope we don't chase off one or more of our current WR commits trying to fix the depth in a single cycle.

I don't think it will chase anyone away as commits. If anything someone may transfer out after their freshman year. It's likely if a player or two are behind the current class, with another group of all Top 200 wide receivers coming in.

Let's say ND adds another wide receiver (Lyons) and another offensive athlete in Hillman. For 8 total offensive skill players:

2 will transfer out before graduation
2 will be role players
4 will be starters with NFL futures, 2 of which probably Top 100 picks.

Would that all be acceptable for everyone? 50% starters, 25% in the two deep as backups/rotational. and 25% transfers. Success IMO, measures as players that have a role in your program - whether it's as a starter or a backup.

Dale

Reaction score
Smells like a recruiting tactic to me. Haven’t seen a interview where he discusses it but Rees and Golden recruiting him to me means somewhat Bowden is just recruiting him. No position coach involved.

In short, they’re gonna figure it out later.

Sea Turtle

Usually right, occasionally wrong.
Reaction score
Smells like a recruiting tactic to me. Haven’t seen a interview where he discusses it but Rees and Golden recruiting him to me means somewhat Bowden is just recruiting him. No position coach involved.

In short, they’re gonna figure it out later.

Smells like Teen Spirit.

Dale

Reaction score
Sounds like more visits wasn’t what they were hoping for

BeauBenken

Shut up, Richard
Staff member
Reaction score
Still confused about where they see him playing. If it's RB, we're full, no?

CanadalovesND

Reaction score
He met and spoke with both coordinators on his visit. The plan is "you are a take and we find you a position", as it has always been with him.

Jiggafini19Deux

Clam Bakes and Shitty Takes
Reaction score
Sounds like more visits wasn’t what they were hoping for

“Coach Freeman was just telling me about the process really,” he recalled. “He knows everything is going quick. He told me it's OK, don't be afraid of anything, just take my time."

Dale, are you basing what you're saying on something else other than the ISD article, because the article really doesn't speculate that is the case. If anything, Hillman's quote about what Freeman said to him sounds like they're wanting him to take his time.

As for what position they're bringing him in at, I don't understand the hand wringing. He could probably help in a multitude of areas, starting with special teams as an underclassman. He can ball a bit. Sign him and figure it out.

NDFAN2008

Reaction score
The interesting thing is we got guys who can play both ways in the 2023 class. Micah Bell can play WR/RB, Peyton Bowen can play WR as well.

Dale

Reaction score
The interesting thing is we got guys who can play both ways in the 2023 class. Micah Bell can play WR/RB, Peyton Bowen can play WR as well.

Most guys capable of getting a ND offer can inherently play another position at a high level. Don’t think it’s much different than normal.

NDFAN2008

Reaction score
Most guys capable of getting a ND offer can inherently play another position at a high level. Don’t think it’s much different than normal.
Yeah but under Kelly he never let guys play both ways