‘23 VA ATH Brandyn Hillman (Michigan Verbal)

Crazy Balki

Site Assigned Optimist
Reaction score
I guess our peers must not actually be our peers…same as it ever was.
Or our peers seem to be more flexible with admitting students.

Seems like Vanderbilt and Michigan have found a way to make it work without it compromising their academic prestige.

Maybe something ND should jump on sometime this century...

SeekNDestroy

Reaction score
I don’t know, I’d rather accept someone that doesn’t have 2 worthless years of Spanish but can actually read write and be a good person…(nd has bent rules for a few shady people in the past). Again, I have no clue what he didn’t do. But a few reporters feel he should have been admitted. I also believe being a father could be and probably is a factor. Yes, his own doing, but also part of equation imo.
LOTS of ND football players have had kids in high school. Some of them have even had 2 kids.

Irish#1

Livin' Your Dream!
Reaction score
Don’t know what he didn’t do? Was he required to kiss the ring? Take a class?

All we know is what he said and that he quickly got into very good academic schools. That’s now how you win if you believe in players you recruit
But not better academic schools.

Free Manera

Reaction score
Has anyone confirmed it was the language requirement? It seemed like they were alluding to that on 247 but I didn't see them commit to it.

Jiggafini19Deux

What do you hillbillies want?
Reaction score
ad082ea4-09b8-426d-8926-cb3f16c9b253_text.gif

irishog77

NOT SINBAD's NEPHEW
Reaction score
Is there confirmation Hillman was actually admitted into all these other "high academic" schools, minus michigan? I truly don't know. If Hillman enrolls and attends classes at michigan, then he was obviously admitted there.

But he was supposedly going to be admitted into ND as well. Until he wasn't. Have duke, virginia, and vanderbilt all said he was actually accepted, admitted, and able to enroll into their schools? Or could it have been conditional like it was at ND?

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
Is the foreign language thing reallly a requirement?
Yes. For all students.

And while of course they'll be more lenient on grades/test scores for recruited scholarship athletes, I don't get the sense the minimum coursework requirements are all that negotiable. On the other hand, Vanderbilt, for instance, "recommends" two years of foreign language, but doesn't require it, according to their website. That gives a lot more flexibility in a situation like this (appears to be).

ndfanatic78

Reaction score
It’s a prestigious academic university for a reason. That’s something to admire, not condemn, IMO.
So is Michigan, so is Vanderbilt, so is a dozen other schools that would have admitted him. Get over yourself that ND is academic MECA. There are plenty of other schools out there that are prestigious academic schools that make exceptions for the top athletically gifted students. The mission of the school is to get its students ready for life after school that should also include a profession in the professional athletics and accepting kids who are athletically gifted enough to make it. Stanford even makes exceptions for their Olympic sports you don’t see ND make and Stanford is one hell of greater academic reputation than ND.

Luckylucci

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So is Michigan, so is Vanderbilt, so is a dozen other schools that would have admitted him. Get over yourself that ND is academic MECA. There are plenty of other schools out there that are prestigious academic schools that make exceptions for the top athletically gifted students. The mission of the school is to get its students ready for life after school that should also include a profession in the professional athletics and accepting kids who are athletically gifted enough to make it. Stanford even makes exceptions for their Olympic sports you don’t see ND make and Stanford is one hell of greater academic reputation than ND.
They already do.

I think can all agree that what Hillman was expected to do, was not getting him admitted with the general student body if not for his athletic prowess. Lol.

irishog77

NOT SINBAD's NEPHEW
Reaction score
Would they have admitted him? Seems like all we actually know is that ND almost admitted him and that michigan, presumably, will. And it's not news that michigan is letting in a student that ND won't- that's been a given for years.

I asked this question this morning. Can anybody actually confirm all these other schools would have truly admitted Hillman? I'm not saying they would or would not, I genuinely don't know. But Hillman being recruited by "high academic" schools and actually attending there are 2 entirely different things. Every year, ND recruits kids and offers over 100 kids. But they all are not actually able to be admitted into ND.

If the de facto argument is that Hillman can attend michigan and not ND, then that is, again, an entirely different argument than Hillman could truly attend stanford and northwestern, but not ND.

T-Boone

Reaction score
I think it’s fine to require these extra things for a student who is coming in paying their way and probably has had ND in mind for many years (and probably has parents who can give them opportunity)
But if that’s enforced for everyone it possibly makes ND elitist and exclusive.
For the students trying to get in on academic and sports scholarships (and wouldn’t be able to afford to get in otherwise due to being underprivileged) they should factor in that this extra curricular stuff is hard to fit in if you are just trying to survive rather than having been born with a silver spoon in mouth.
If the kid is smart enough find a way to give them an opportunity.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
I think it’s fine to require these extra things for a student who is coming in paying their way and probably has had ND in mind for many years (and probably has parents who can give them opportunity)
But if that’s enforced for everyone it possibly makes ND elitist and exclusive.
For the students trying to get in on academic and sports scholarships (and wouldn’t be able to afford to get in otherwise due to being underprivileged) they should factor in that this extra curricular stuff is hard to fit in if you are just trying to survive rather than having been born with a silver spoon in mouth.
If the kid is smart enough find a way to give them an opportunity.
We're just talking about taking two years of Spanish or something here. Spanish is taught at probably every public high school in America. (It certainly should be). It's hardly something that is reserved for people who were "born with a silver spoon" in their mouth.

I'd guess part of the issue here is that Hillman wasn't being actively recruited by Notre Dame or many other places until his senior year of high school had already started. He wouldn't have had much time left to line up required classes that he hadn't already taken. And, for all we know, he was given the opportunity to finish up over the summer or something and declined.

T-Boone

Reaction score
We're just talking about taking two years of Spanish or something here. Spanish is taught at probably every public high school in America. (It certainly should be). It's hardly something that is reserved for people who were "born with a silver spoon" in their mouth.

I'd guess part of the issue here is that Hillman wasn't being actively recruited by Notre Dame or many other places until his senior year of high school had already started. He wouldn't have had much time left to line up required classes that he hadn't already taken. And, for all we know, he was given the opportunity to finish up over the summer or something and declined.
Yeah that’s what I am trying to “flesh out”. These sport scholarships (especially football and basketball)the kid wouldn’t necessarily even be on NDs radar or them his/hers until their senior year.
The one that pisses me off is that kid (Tae) from Indian who goes to the wrong school and if he was privileged enough to go to the right school , as others have suggested, he would be able to get into ND.

T-Boone

Reaction score
If I was in charge of ND I would rethink that language requirement. The logic of it is probably lacking in todays day and age.

PutuporShutup

Reaction score
If I was in charge of ND I would rethink that language requirement. The logic of it is probably lacking in todays day and age.
If I’m nd I assess the individual and that’s what they do wayyyy more than individual students…. If he was good enough to get in a course requirement didn’t change that. We should hold high standards with character and belief if they can make it

Sea Turtle

Slow and steady wins the race
Reaction score

… I was born with a plastic spoon in my mouth
The north side of my town faced east, and the east was facing south

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
… I was born with a plastic spoon in my mouth
The north side of my town faced east, and the east was facing south
Are you from Boston? That's where I live and East Boston is north of the North End but South Boston is east of everything else.

Sea Turtle

Slow and steady wins the race
Reaction score
Are you from Boston? That's where I live and East Boston is north of the North End but South Boston is east of everything else.

Nah, it's from The Who song called Substitute.

I love the plastic spoon line as it was me to a T and I always think of it whenever I hear silver spoon.

Last edited:

Veritate Duce Progredi

A man gotta have a code
Reaction score
Sorry for the random bump. I really wanted Brandyn at ND.

Can someone put out feelers so when the NCAA drops it's sanctions and Harbaugh bolts, he can move over here as a freshman transfer?