‘23 TX WR Kaleb Smith (Notre Dame Verbal)

BeauBenken

Shut up, Richard
Staff member
Reaction score
It seems Chansi’s approach to Lyons dragging it out was fine, next.

I know this is the approach many want with everyone but I think its perfectly handled for the 4th WR in the class. Del didn’t have any Lyons, Barnes, Smith etc

I'm thinking there was something that the staff found out about Lyons during his visit that has made them move on because it seems they moved their attention immediately after and the from the sound of what some of the beat has said they are moved on and not worried about it.

BeauBenken

Shut up, Richard
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm thinking there was something that the staff found out about Lyons during his visit that has made them move on because it seems they moved their attention immediately after and the from the sound of what some of the beat has said they are moved on and not worried about it.
Now reading the way I typed this and wondering if I had a stroke.

Let me simplify: ISD hinted that the staff straight up doesn't want Lyons now.

ColinKSU

I'm Colin NOT from Kansas
Reaction score
It seems Chansi’s approach to Lyons dragging it out was fine, next.

I know this is the approach many want with everyone but I think its perfectly handled for the 4th WR in the class. Del didn’t have any Lyons, Barnes, Smith etc
One of the ND beat guys referred to Notre Dame as Lyons’ “best option at the moment” after the offer as a reason why he’d commit, and that always struck me as a hint that he wanted to play big-time ball more than he actually wanted to play it at ND.

The offers kept coming in and here we are.

Irish du Nord

Reaction score
Now reading the way I typed this and wondering if I had a stroke.

Let me simplify: ISD hinted that the staff straight up doesn't want Lyons now.
It could be that the staff wants to avoid guys waiting till signing day for bags to drop. I could understand wanting 4 guys in the fold for certain after what happened last year

Rockin’Irish

Hearing Impaired
Reaction score
It could be that the staff wants to avoid guys waiting till signing day for bags to drop. I could understand wanting 4 guys in the fold for certain after what happened last year
It may even be that they think Kaleb Smith is going to be a better player in college (and/or a better fit for the university).

Dale

Reaction score
So the backstory here is Joey McGuire the Texas Tech HC was Cedar Hills HS HC for years until Baylor finally hired him and he was AHC for a few years. Then he went to Texas Tech and basically said yeah I want him, him, him and him etc and got a ton of commits right away from the state of Texas like Smith. Not guys that maybe all were that heavily recruited, to different degrees. Chansi apparently had some contact with him until he left for ND.

Then there was the quote from another Texas HS coach posted earlier.

So this is a very much in my head a do you trust the guys in the trenches of Texas HS football.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
Like Del, Chansi missed on several of his top targets.

UNLIKE Del, he quickly pivoted and we’re going to have a badass 4 man class. Kudos to him. This is how you rebuild a busted position.
Trying to remember, who did he miss on? The Tate recruitment largely pre-dated Stuckey, and IIRC Hanafin wasn't really his recruit (if he had been maybe young Ronan would have made the right choice). Were there others I'm not thinking of? Felt like he showed up and reeled in Braylon and Greathouse from Texas right quick and then Rico Flores. Dude has been doing the work.

BauerOutage

Reaction score
Trying to remember, who did he miss on? The Tate recruitment largely pre-dated Stuckey, and IIRC Hanafin wasn't really his recruit (if he had been maybe young Ronan would have made the right choice). Were there others I'm not thinking of? Felt like he showed up and reeled in Braylon and Greathouse from Texas right quick and then Rico Flores. Dude has been doing the work.
Rodney Gallagher. But I think that was more of a loss due to NIL

BeauBenken

Shut up, Richard
Staff member
Reaction score
So the backstory here is Joey McGuire the Texas Tech HC was Cedar Hills HS HC for years until Baylor finally hired him and he was AHC for a few years. Then he went to Texas Tech and basically said yeah I want him, him, him and him etc and got a ton of commits right away from the state of Texas like Smith. Not guys that maybe all were that heavily recruited, to different degrees. Chansi apparently had some contact with him until he left for ND.

Then there was the quote from another Texas HS coach posted earlier.

So this is a very much in my head a do you trust the guys in the trenches of Texas HS football.
I was going to say, Joey McGuire seems super connected and if it's a kid not getting a ton of love outside of the state of Texas, I'd probably trust him to at least be solid.

Rizzophil

Reaction score
Weird about the two offers. Glad we had contingencies for a 4th wideout and glad it’s kaleb

NDPhilly

Philly Torqued
Reaction score
Assuming he only has the TT offer bc he committed to them last November and was being respectful about visiting / announcing offers.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
"I haven't had a full recruit experience and really want to take it slow and make sure I do it the right way" does not sound like he'll be committing on Sunday.

rtrn2glory

Reaction score
This will be an interesting one to read about when it's all said and done.

CanadalovesND

Reaction score
Two offers? That is it?

Pretty common for lower ranked recruits to stop receiving offers after a commitment. Smith was committed prior to the spring evaluation period, you would have to think that most schools (especially the regional ones) just went after the uncommitted ones - which was probably a large selection pool.

TNUtoNotreDame

Reaction score
Pretty common for lower ranked recruits to stop receiving offers after a commitment. Smith was committed prior to the spring evaluation period, you would have to think that most schools (especially the regional ones) just went after the uncommitted ones - which was probably a large selection pool.
Before I retort I will go investigate others who were in the same boat. I'll have to circle back, may take some time.

NDPhilly

Philly Torqued
Reaction score
Coaches from the following schools follow Kaleb on twitter:

LSU
Oregon
Oklahoma
Tennessee
Texas A&M
Utah
Minnesota
Michigan State
Oregon State
Syracuse
Cincinnati
Georgia Tech
SMU
Houston

Curious to see how many role in now that he is truly decommitted and open.

Jiggafini19Deux

Clam Bakes and Shitty Takes
Reaction score
Do we like Kaleb Smith over Khalil Barnes and Taeshaun Lyons? How do we view their ceilings and floors?
If Smith wants to sign on the dotted line, yeah, I like him better. That's essentially what this comes down to for me right now as a fan and if I'm on the staff I damn sure feel even more strongly about it. He had a viable offer from a Texas Tech team that likes to throw the ball. He's currently playing for a high school with about 1900 students that is 10-0 in the state of Texas. 3 WR from Texas in one class? Sold.

We need WRs, period. So please let’s close the deal.

The sense of urgency is unmatched, other than QB, when it comes to needing people at this position. 4 this cycle and 4 the next is an absolute must. Talk about "must gets"? This program needs to sign 8 WR in the next two cycles. That's a "must get."

Last edited: