'23 TX WR Braylon James (Notre Dame Verbal)

Whiskeyjack

Mittens Margaritas Ante Porcos
Staff member
Reaction score
Can it be inferred that by not repping Zona that you choose ASU as your local favorite? Or do both equally turn your stomach?
My dad's a Sun Devil, so I didn't have much say in the matter. Don't have much hatred toward Arizona (difficulty to feel anything but pity, really), nor much passion for ASU. But people I care about are happy when ASU wins; simple as.
This Braylon reclassifying business spooks me. ND needs to make it happen if he's pushing. Your logic is sound on being better off their than skating through at a public school back home. EVERY kid is better off at ND sooner, rather than later.
Agreed. They've already accepted that logic as applied to athletics, so it shouldn't be a stretch to apply it to academics as well.
Why should ND be worried about the ramifications of changing policies on reclassifiers? I mean, Duke's academic rep hasn't been altered after they took Marvin Bagley with only three years of HS, two of which were Corona Del Sol and a fake charter school posing as AAU Basketball meets The Romper Room.
My impression isn't that they're worried about setting bad precedence or hurting their academic reputation. It's just a stubborn prejudice along the lines of:
  1. ND is an elite university; and
  2. ND's general admission pool is extremely competitive;
  3. Therefore, unless a kid is Dougie Howser, he or she cannot possibly merit admission after only three years of high school.
NDFB commits merit admission by virtue of their elite athletic abilities. We care about providing our athletes with a real education, so a kid has to at least demonstrate that he's got the core knowledge and mental acuity to complete a course of study at ND. But that's a much lower hurdle to clear, and our athletes have tons of support while on campus.

Huge numbers of incoming freshman at state schools are demonstrably not "college ready". They're having to take remedial writing courses just to be able to participate in any college classroom, let alone complete a BA. That's obviously not an issue for the average incoming freshman at ND, but a lot of our athletic recruits are coming from the same schools that are broadly failing their students. In light of that, if an NDFB recruit has Braylon's grades and they feel he's at least equipped to tackle FYS (or whatever they recently replaced it with) with support and hard work, they ought to jump at the opportunity to get him on campus sooner than later.

Last edited:

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
If Duke and USC (JT Daniels) are re-classifying I’m not sure why we can’t. They are very good and highly-selective universities, too.

Dale

Reaction score
ND bias yet again!

Getting Round Rock (Texas) Stony Point's Braylon James into the top 100 (No. 99, up from No. 129) became a priority after we got a chance to see him live on the elite camp circuit. Not only did James pass the eyeball test with flying colors, he performed well in position-specific drills, 1-on-1s, and in verified combine testing. In fact, James' 6-foot-2, 185-pound James assembled one of the best testing performances in the country this spring, including a sub-4.5 40, almost 40-inch vertical, and a huge broad jump of nearly 11 feet.

James, who attended Del Valle (Texas) the last two seasons, gets a shot this fall to improve on his solid on-field production over the last two years (89-1,010-13 on 11.3 per catch). James, who has also run a 22.8 200-meter time and high jumped 6-4 this semester, flashes the verified athleticism on tape, but we expect that explosiveness to really show this fall and reflect in an increased per catch rate as well.

IrishLax

Something Witty
Staff member
Reaction score
Said on IPC today that if Kelly were still the coach he would not be committed to ND. Said it wasn’t a dig at Kelly, but that Freeman is “special” and had positive things to say about Stuckey too. The way he contrasted Freeman’s recruiting versus Kelly is crazy.

T-Boone

Reaction score
Said on IPC today that if Kelly were still the coach he would not be committed to ND. Said it wasn’t a dig at Kelly, but that Freeman is “special” and had positive things to say about Stuckey too. The way he contrasted Freeman’s recruiting versus Kelly is crazy.
that is exciting to hear

allenm5333

Reaction score
What is IPC?

dublinirish

Everestt Gholstonson
Reaction score
they hold Twitter Spaces events every Wednesday generally with Mick Assaf or Malik Zaire interviewing commits. They had James and Traore on last night

notredomer23

Staph Member
Reaction score
on3, with no quotes mind you, is saying he is OVing to TCU next week. Doesn't make sense. I'll believe it when I see it.

Dale

Reaction score
They shouldn’t be accepting commitments if guys want to take visits at this point. Shut it down or don’t commit we aren’t in it’s early and Keeley has a blow up territory anymore or oh there was a coaching change

AlaskanIrish

. . . a little stitious.
Reaction score
They shouldn’t be accepting commitments if guys want to take visits at this point. Shut it down or don’t commit we aren’t in it’s early and Keeley has a blow up territory anymore or oh there was a coaching change
Not to be rude, genuine question here because you usually have the inside track on things. What do you mean by the bolded?

Dale

Reaction score
Not to be rude, genuine question here because you usually have the inside track on things. What do you mean by the bolded?
Bowen and Keeley both had I guess you could call justifications for wanting to take visits after their commitments. I don’t really see one, BS or not, for James. If he wanted to OV places in the summer, why not just commit after those OVs, especially if one was in May haha.

Luckylucci

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Loy reiterated yesterday or Wednesday that the staff does not want commits taking visits and they’re very clear on that. Let’s hope this is BS.

irishandy

Reaction score
Isn't he recruiting Jaden Greathouse & Rodney Gallagher to ND with him?

Is on3 reliable?

KPENN

Tip your vBookie
Staff member
Reaction score
Isn't he recruiting Jaden Greathouse & Rodney Gallagher to ND with him?

Is on3 reliable?
Who knows. It was a “he was gonna visit but he made track states so he didn’t”

IrishLax

Something Witty
Staff member
Reaction score
Who knows. It was a “he was gonna visit but he made track states so he didn’t”
Super sketch. I was just about to post “I know for a fact he’s not on an OV and is at a track meet.” I can’t find anything, anywhere about a TCU OV except On3 and he was literally just in the IPC TwitterSpace yesterday.

Dale

Reaction score
The TCU 247 site had the supposed to be this week but track info. On3 says it’s next week.

Riddickulous

"That" Guy
Reaction score
My one concern here is his desire to reclassify, and what happens if ND won't let him.

AKRowdy

Reaction score
I don’t understand reclassifying. The jump from high school to college is so large I do not see that being an advantage. Playing your senior year of high school will more time for your body to develop. Has there even been one successful reclassification?

NDdomer2

Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t understand reclassifying. The jump from high school to college is so large I do not see that being an advantage. Playing your senior year of high school will more time for your body to develop. Has there even been one successful reclassification?
Well in both professionally and now NIL semiprofessionally is always better to start earning off your work as early as possible.

Last edited:

jason_h537

The King is Back
Reaction score
Who at on3 was saying he was gonna OV? Could it be an old visit that was scheduled and it wasn't removed after his commitment?

Rockin’Irish

Hearing Impaired
Reaction score
Sam Spiegelman said that James is “expected” to take an official visit to TCU on 5/20 with a teammate (RB) from his high school. The article said that James is still fully locked in with ND but may even visit Stanford this summer.

NDdomer2

Staff member
Reaction score
Sam Spiegelman said that James is “expected” to take an official visit to TCU on 5/20 with a teammate (RB) from his high school. The article said that James is still fully locked in with ND but may even visit Stanford this summer.
Definition of locked in

Whiskeyjack

Mittens Margaritas Ante Porcos
Staff member
Reaction score
The education, coaching and nutrition an athlete receives at ND is light years beyond what most recruits receive in high school. As long as a kid has the foundational skills necessary to hang in a college classroom, it can only benefit both ND and the athlete to get him on campus ASAP.

stpeteirish

Reaction score
Commit early use ND as a place holder until the big boys come in.
TCU??? Doesn’t compute