'23 TX WR Braylon James (Notre Dame Verbal)

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
Football/physical maturity aside, it feels like something you'd have to be set on doing well before spring of your "junior" year, much like Notre Dame works with its athletes from the moment they step on campus to have them in shape to graduate in three years. And it really only gains you one semester vs. early-enrolling in January.
I'm sure there are some super-smart and with it kids for whom reclassifying makes sense, and maybe Braylon's one of those? (I note the Stanford interest). But it seems complicated. And, like, when do freshmen show up? Next month?

Veritate Duce Progredi

A man gotta have a code
Reaction score
How anyone can be against this is beyond me. If James is prepared to make the leap (and or pushing to make the leap) and ND believes he can thrive on campus, then we need him ASAP. I don't think ND would allow him to make the jump if they didn't believe he was capable of success (on and off the field).

Having another top 100 receiver to potentially earn snaps this fall would be a massive development.

Irish du Nord

Reaction score
On one hand, it would be great if Braylon could come in and be an extra body in the WR room, even if he's not ready to play in year one.

On the other hand, Romeo Okwara is the poster child for "What Could Have Been If He Were Able to Redshirt"

Romeo had 9 sacks in 2015... had he been able to redshirt as a super young freshman, and returned in 2016, he could have very well helped turn the tide in a game or two for a team that went 4-8 but was actually analytically a 9-win team. He would've been looking for 10+ sacks on a defense that desperately needed help.

Getting a guy in early is fine if they are ready... just don't burn his redshirt if you can do anything at all to help it lol.
Is there any chance he still redshirts this season after enrolling? If so it seems like a no-lose situation. James gets more time with Balis, the playbook, and the QBs. Of course, depth chart concerns may supersede

Luckylucci

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it’s a no brainer to get him on campus, asap. IF, he’s comfortable with being patient once on campus provided he’s not ready.

Luckylucci

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Getting Braylon on campus is less about next year and more 2023. At which point, it’s easy to get excited about Styles and Colzie as Juniors. While Merriweather and James would have a full year in the system.

rtrn2glory

Reaction score
Getting Braylon on campus is less about next year and more 2023. At which point, it’s easy to get excited about Styles and Colzie as Juniors. While Merriweather and James would have a full year in the system.
100% this.

Totally agree

irishandy

Reaction score
I think Merriweather could see PT this year.

NDty9

Reaction score
I imagine they mean elsewhere?
ND won’t do it.
If his credits are there (and I’m sure they are , he’s VERY serious about his education , I don’t see why they wouldn’t …..

Dale

Reaction score
Rivals dropped him ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY EIGHT SPOTS.

The biggest drop of anyone still retained in the Top 250

NDMatt91

Reaction score
Rivals dropped him ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY EIGHT SPOTS.

The biggest drop of anyone still retained in the Top 250
If he committed to OSU or one of the SEC schools (UGA, UF, A&M, LSU) that offered him I doubt he would've dropped that 128 spots.

NDBoiler

The Rep Machine
Reaction score
What a total joke.
It is. But if you think about it, the 2023 rankings have been out for quite a while now, so any change of 30-40+ spots (which there are a bunch of) either means
A - Rivals sucks at evaluations
B - It’s a ploy to generate clicks/buzz
C - The kid had some major thing pop up (injury, increased/loss of interest by multiple schools, etc)

I tend to think that it is most often not C, as there are way too many instances of big changes in rankings to be realistic. It is most likely a combination of A/B, with a heavier majority on A (although they would never admit it).

notredomer23

Staph Member
Reaction score
Rivals was pretty transparent about why Keeley was just 18 and not higher-- they wanted to see him at more camps. Elzy balled out at Rivals camps. So did Jeremiyah Love. As far as I know, James didn't participate in any camps. It's a dumb way to evaluate but it is what it is.