‘23 TN QB Kenny Minchey (Pitt Verbal - Offer)

ND88

Reaction score
If a kid isn’t willing to go public, I’m never going to count that as a “commitment”.

Public commits seem to mean nothing these days, let alone “silent” ones
You hit on the main point in recruiting. Unless the rules change in recruiting (which they likely won’t), no player is guaranteed on any team until they are officially on the roster and practice with the squad.

du Lac

CEO of IE
Reaction score
He would not have announced the offer if he wasn’t interested.

du Lac

CEO of IE
Reaction score
It’s absolutely going to cost the program in the not-to-distant future.
1. Buchner goes down with an injury in 2023 season. Angeli comes in bc DP transferred. That could be really bad if he sucks.

2. Buchner and Angeli both get hurt and we insert that one guy. Might as well run the ball 100 x’s a game.

3. Buchner sucks and there’s no replacement for 3 years. Nothing elite in the portal.

4. CJ is forced to play as a true freshman.

5. CJ isn’t as good as we hope and he had no competition to push him.

Even 1 of those scenarios causes a big problem. Next year we are down to just 2 able QBs. One has never played a down. We need Minchey, very bad and the staff needs to convince him he’s going to throw the ball a lot, get developed, and have every opportunity to play.

Last edited:

Reaper97

Reaction score
1. Buchner goes down with an injury in 2023 season. Angeli comes in bc DP transferred. That could be really bad if he sucks.

2. Buchner and Angeli both get hurt and we insert that one guy. Might as well run the ball 100 x’s a game.

3. Buchner sucks and there’s no replacement for 3 years. Nothing elite in the portal.

4. CJ is forced to play as a true freshman.

5. CJ isn’t as good as we hope and he had no competition to push him.

Even 1 of those scenarios causes a big problem. Next year we are down to just 2 able QBs. One has never played a down. We need Minchey, very bad and the staff needs to convince him he’s going to throw the ball a lot, get developed, and have every opportunity to play.

One quick note:

You keep saying “DP transfers…” in multiple posts.

Drew Pyne will graduate this year.
He will not “transfer.”

If he leaves ND, it will be after he fulfilled his commitment and has his degree from ND.

Reaper97

Reaction score
Called grad transfer …. Transfer
Wrong.
Technically it’s not a transfer.

The media calls it that.

But in reality, once you graduate, it’s not a transfer. You can do whatever the fuck you want.
It’s NOT a transfer anymore. The NCAA changed that. You don’t need permission, you don’t have to notify anybody.
You get your degree & you can just show up anywhere you want & play football if you still have eligibility.

So go ahead and move along, provide facts or Put up or shut up…

CanadalovesND

Reaction score
Wrong.

The media calls it that.

But in reality, once you graduate, it’s not a transfer. You can do whatever the fuck you want.
It’s NOT a transfer anymore. The NCAA changed that. You don’t need permission, you don’t have to notify anybody.
You get your degree & you can just show up anywhere you want & play football if you still have eligibility.

You have an intense and direct way about you that is both refreshing and infuriating lol

Such is the nature of assertiveness.

Reaper97

Reaction score
If a student athlete still has eligibility at a university upon graduation, and decides to leave, can we not call that a transfer?
It’s not a transfer.
They graduated. Completed their commitment.
Just like when an athlete graduates & has eligibility left & the staff decides he needs to move on.
They aren’t pulling a scholarship. They met their commitment.

A graduate doesn’t technically transfer. You just complete your commitment and move on.

If you studied pre-med at ND & graduated then went to med school at Indiana University School of Medicine, you didn’t transfer.

Reaper97

Reaction score
You have an intense and direct way about you that is both refreshing and infuriating lol

Such is the nature of assertiveness.
You sound like my wife…LOL

But to your (correct) point, that is what makes me, me.

It has both benefitted & harmed me in life.

CanadalovesND

Reaction score
You sound like my wife…LOL

But to your (correct) point, that is what makes me, me.

It has both benefitted & harmed me in life.

Didn’t you post earlier today that you were gay?

If you are a woman, my apologies. I have just been under the general assumption in my 10 years being a part of this board, that a large, if not the entire collective of us are men.

PutuporShutup

Reaction score
Wrong.

The media calls it that.

Umm, I’m not sure you know what the definition of transfer is. Everything you say is correct, but it’s still a transfer.

I just Put Up

du Lac

CEO of IE
Reaction score
One quick note:

You keep saying “DP transfers…” in multiple posts.

Drew Pyne will graduate this year.
He will not “transfer.”

If he leaves ND, it will be after he fulfilled his commitment and has his degree from ND.
IB has stated several times that this is likely DP's last year. Either you're right or they are. I guess we'll see. If you're hung up on vernacular, I'm not biting and don't really care.

Reaper97

Reaction score
Umm, I’m not sure you know what the definition of transfer is. Everything you say is correct, but it’s still a transfer.

I just Put Up
It’s not a transfer…period.
Once you graduate, that’s that.
You move on to whatever you want.
It’s not a transfer once you graduate. Just because the term is used doesn’t mean it’s accurate.
Nobody, even your prior school, has sat in what you do after you graduate.
When you file with the NCAA for eligibility, you don’t file as a transfer, you file as a graduate.
So it doesn’t matter what people (incorrectly) say, you officially (only thing that matters), file as a graduate, which allows you to do whatever you want, which includes enrolling in any school you want as a graduate student…that’s the difference.
A transfer is undergraduate.
When you enroll as a graduate you aren’t a transfer. Nobody “transfers” from undergrad to graduate school.

FightingIrishLover7

All troll, no substance
Reaction score
It’s not a transfer…period.
Once you graduate, that’s that.
You move on to whatever you want.
It’s not a transfer once you graduate. Just because the term is used doesn’t mean it’s accurate.
Nobody, even your prior school, has sat in what you do after you graduate.
When you file with the NCAA for eligibility, you don’t file as a transfer, you file as a graduate.
So it doesn’t matter what people (incorrectly) say, you officially (only thing that matters), file as a graduate, which allows you to do whatever you want, which includes enrolling in any school you want as a graduate student…that’s the difference.
A transfer is undergraduate.
When you enroll as a graduate you aren’t a transfer. Nobody “transfers” from undergrad to graduate school.
Mr Driskell,
Relax

du Lac

CEO of IE
Reaction score
What are the odds Driskell is on IE just sifting though all of our collective info we post for free and then taking about it and making $$?

Irishokie

Reaction score
which allows you to do whatever you want, which includes enrolling in any school you want as a graduate student…
Yeah... about that. Wouldn’t the new school a graduate chose to enroll in have a say whether they’re welcome or not?

PutuporShutup

Reaction score
Yeah... about that. Wouldn’t the new school a graduate chose to enroll in have a say whether they’re welcome or not?
Yup, and you need to make sure your credits transfer for the grad school … then you can transfer from one school to another

T-Boone

Reaction score
What are the odds Driskell is on IE just sifting though all of our collective info we post for free and then taking about it and making $$?
The possibility he was reading Turtle Power posts may explain why he was so confident Dante was locked in.

ThePiombino

The OG "TP"
Reaction score
@PutuporShutup @Reaper97

Seems maybe you two are arguing semantics. I believe, and I could be wrong, that the transfer is in reference to NCAA athletic eligibility, not academic status. So while DP will have his undergrad degree and academically would be able to go wherever he wants in the country that will have him to pursue his grad degree...

...he will still be leaving athletic eligibility on the table, thus ultimately TRANSFERRING said eligibility to another school, should he choose to do so.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

ThePiombino

The OG "TP"
Reaction score
Also, Rees must just think very low of Avery Johnson as a QB in general. Odd there hasn’t been any buzz about him.

I don't think he thinks very low of him at all. I'm sure Tommy will get around to an offer, probably sometime in December via his serial recruiting (vs. in parallel) philosophy.

du Lac

CEO of IE
Reaction score
I don't think he thinks very low of him at all. I'm sure Tommy will get around to an offer, probably sometime in December via his serial recruiting (vs. in parallel) philosophy.

Rees will offer him after signing day.

Dale

Reaction score
It’s pretty universally been reported at this point the “offer” was not made just now over the weekend and Minchey just went ahead with publicizing it now.

ab2cmiller

Troublemaker in training
Reaction score
It’s pretty universally been reported at this point the “offer” was not made just now over the weekend and Minchey just went ahead with publicizing it now.
So, doesn't that beg the question, "Why now?" Most obvious time to make that public was immediately upon receiving the offer. Quite some time has passed.

Domina Nostra

Reaction score
So, doesn't that beg the question, "Why now?" Most obvious time to make that public was immediately upon receiving the offer. Quite some time has passed.

Because the chips have fallen…

And to be clear, I said as soon as I heard AN get interviewed there was almost 0% chance he signed with ND. He sounds like a bro, and we don’t sign bro QBs.

Michney sounds like the kind of kid who will fit in with the QB room.

Personally, I like his film. He has touch. I hope we sign him.