‘23 TN QB Kenny Minchey (Notre Dame Verbal)

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
Not slighting.

Just a curious decision in a high stakes game.
Carr was never going to be our starting QB next season. I really doubt he could have reclassified AND EE’d and even if he did make it for spring ball, starting a true freshman is almost always a bad idea for a team with our aspirations.

Longer-term, yes now Minchey will be there a year before he shows up but Carr had to know if he didn’t reclassify, the staff wasn’t just going to sit on their hands. If Carr’s as good as advertised they’ll have a good competition.

Dale

Reaction score
Carr in a vacuum should have reclassified to compete for the 2024 job. I’m sure they’ve already told him, Minchey, every recruit they are looking to bring in a transfer for 2023.

2023: Transfer or Buchner

2024: Buchner or Minchey

2025: 5th YR Buchner or Minchey or Carr

Carr should be a Tyler Buchner fan looking at it selfishly, it blocks Minchey from taking the job and never giving it back. If Buchner doesn’t show much in 2023 and a grad transfer is the answer, Minchey has a straight shot at starting as a RS FR and never looking back

BleedBlueGold

Reaction score
I don't think the staff should ever view Buchner as a true 1A QB due to his propensity to get hurt. They'll need a 1B for any and all years that Buchner is getting significant reps.

Depending on who transfers in, I wouldn't be shocked to see a situation where the transfer earns the starting job but Buchner has a package (similar to with Coan). The same can be said moving forward when Minchey is ready. If Minchey takes over and doesn't look back, Buchner may fall back in the pecking order with Carr's arrival (depending on his progress)...but may still be made available in certain packages because his running upside is so good.

Pops Freshenmeyer

Reaction score
I don't think the staff should ever view Buchner as a true 1A QB due to his propensity to get hurt. They'll need a 1B for any and all years that Buchner is getting significant reps.

Depending on who transfers in, I wouldn't be shocked to see a situation where the transfer earns the starting job but Buchner has a package (similar to with Coan). The same can be said moving forward when Minchey is ready. If Minchey takes over and doesn't look back, Buchner may fall back in the pecking order with Carr's arrival (depending on his progress)...but may still be made available in certain packages because his running upside is so good.
They definitely can't bank on building an offense around his running. If Tyler wins the job as a drop back passer I don't think it's a particular concern.

However, it looks like their idea coming into 2022 was to give him around 150 carries this season which is an idea they need to abandon.

Dale

Reaction score
However, it looks like their idea coming into 2022 was to give him around 150 carries this season which is an idea they need to abandon.

I actually think they were clearly trying to run him less. Losing and the OL in both games, particularly Marshall, resulted in making him, or him feeling the need to, run more.

BleedBlueGold

Reaction score
They definitely can't bank on building an offense around his running. If Tyler wins the job as a drop back passer I don't think it's a particular concern.

My biggest issue regarding the crazy amount of optimism coming out of Fall Camp was that very few analysts seemed to factor in Tyler's health/durability. They over-anticipated the way the OL would play out of the gate and just assumed Buchner was ready to take off w/o any concerns whatsoever to his durability, while projecting a running first offense. Throw the lack of a QB transfer as the ugly cherry on top.

According to the guys at II, Freeman has already publicly said he's not making that same mistake twice.

IrishLion

I am Beyonce, always.
Staff member
Reaction score
So what’s his biggest problem?

The greatest ability is availability... that's what Buchner needs to worry about. Strengthen the shoulders and ankles if he wants to keep playing QB like Tim Tebow.

After that, working on touch/accuracy and decision-making, which hopefully both come with live-fire reps. The risk there is that you start next year in an offensive funk kind of like this year, as you wait for the new interior OL starters to gel, and for Buchner to get comfy with the offense again.

Veritate Duce Progredi

A man gotta have a code
Reaction score
So what’s his biggest problem?
Accuracy, touch, moving through his progressions and looking off defenders.

He has a strong arm and he runs with power but has yet to convince me he's a QB1. I'm not making a definitive statement in either direction but I'd really like to have at least a couple other QBs battling for that starter spot. We should continue to have a strong defense and our skill positions are increasing by leaps and bounds with the past 2 classes.

We need a QB who can challenge a defense at all three levels and I'm not yet sold on Buchner being that QB, yet.

irishff1014

Reaction score
Jokes aside and assuming it was a legitimate option, him not reclassifying when QB was such an obvious need was certainly…curious.

I try to look at it as if I was a senior. I had a blast doing things with my senior class that I liked, spending time with your friends, and he wants to lead his team to states. I don’t blame him.

Yes you take the chance of getting hurt. That’s life. We all moan and groan about time going by to fast and our kids growing up to fast. Let him live and have fun.

Last edited:

BobbyMac

O'Skool
Staff member
Reaction score
deanmartin2.gif

Jimmy3Putt

KooL
Reaction score
Jokes aside and assuming it was a legitimate option, him not reclassifying when QB was such an obvious need was certainly…curious.
Not joking. If he's in the 23 class he has the chance to take over as a red shirt freshman. Now he has legit competition and may not see the field for a very long time.