‘23 OH S Ben Minich (Notre Dame Verbal)

BobbyMac

O'Skool
Staff member
Reaction score
deanmartin2.gif

Irish2155

Reaction score
Going to West Chester next week. Hot dog.

One thing I won’t question is Freeman’s recruiting. If he gives the go ahead on a 3 star, then you know the kid can ball.

His D scheme on the other hand…well, I guess time will tell but last year wasn’t great to say the least.

FightingIrishLover7

All troll, no substance
Reaction score
Not that it was a the best of years defensively, but he reminds me of the safeties from the Weis and early Kelly years. They weren't NFL super star guys, but they were the anchors for those (underperforming) defenses and played hard as heck.

I think he's going to a be a hell of a special teams guy, great depth piece, ans potential starter down the road under Balis

ColinKSU

I'm Colin NOT from Kansas
Reaction score
I know it’s simplistic to say that he reminds me of Kyle McCarthy, but like … he reminds me of Kyle McCarthy. Which is good because Kyle was a heck of an athlete.

Islandboi

Reaction score
Going to West Chester next week. Hot dog.

One thing I won’t question is Freeman’s recruiting. If he gives the go ahead on a 3 star, then you know the kid can ball.

His D scheme on the other hand…well, I guess time will tell but last year wasn’t great to say the least.
Wait what? I may not know as much as some here when it comes to diagnosing schemes and stuff. But to my untrained eye. He did pretty well considering that he inherited players that didn't necessarily fit his scheme defensively. But still put together a pretty good defense.

Dale

Reaction score
I don’t think we saw much of Freeman’s “scheme” last year regardless of what people thought of the outcome, positive or negative.

Islandboi

Reaction score
I don’t think we saw much of Freeman’s “scheme” last year regardless of what people thought of the outcome, positive or negative.
How so? Are you saying that he based his scheme to fit the type of players he had? Hence. Since they weren't guys that he had recruited to fit his defensive scheme. He had to scale it back?

Dale

Reaction score
what do you mean?

How so? Are you saying that he based his scheme to fit the type of players he had? Hence. Since they weren't guys that he had recruited to fit his defensive scheme. He had to scale it back?

I felt like he did both try to fit his scheme to players and give up his scheme for players to mixed results. The one hot button dropping Foskey in coverage everyone loved to hate. The blitzing LBs though is a decent example of yes that’s Freeman’s scheme. Are we gonna hate that still when it’s Liufau and not Bertrand? I’m thinking no. I think coverages was nothing of what he wanted to do. Coverage was almost entirely well Hart can do his thing, now how many guys can when he was healthy Hamilton cover for out of the rest of the back end

Irish2155

Reaction score
Wait what? I may not know as much as some here when it comes to diagnosing schemes and stuff. But to my untrained eye. He did pretty well considering that he inherited players that didn't necessarily fit his scheme defensively. But still put together a pretty good defense.
Seemed like we were in prevent most the year with Foskey 7 yards off the LOS, as one example.

du Lac

Appsolute Victory 34-32
Reaction score
Seemed like we were in prevent most the year with Foskey 7 yards off the LOS, as one example.

I can’t disagree. I think Freeman will be a good head coach and has found his niche. I’m excited to see Al Golden recreate his college career at ND and end up at a premier program as a HC.

PutuporShutup

Reaction score
I felt like he did both try to fit his scheme to players and give up his scheme for players to mixed results. The one hot button dropping Foskey in coverage everyone loved to hate. The blitzing LBs though is a decent example of yes that’s Freeman’s scheme. Are we gonna hate that still when it’s Liufau and not Bertrand? I’m thinking no. I think coverages was nothing of what he wanted to do. Coverage was almost entirely well Hart can do his thing, now how many guys can when he was healthy Hamilton cover for out of the rest of the back end
Disagree a bit here, I really think freeman didn’t do a good job fitting scheme/plays to personnel….
We left Lewis on an island a good bit, that’s not a sound move but it’s what he wants to do. Foskey and Justin a at second level of D… white Kiser betrand at 3rd level of D…. That’s his scheme but didn’t fit the players.

I think a blitzing Marist can be a game wrecker like at UNC. Concerned about betrands size/strength in the middle.

I think Joseph will have a better statistical season than KH ever had at ND.

I expect mills to be a monster on the end and make it almost impossible to run to his side unless doubled.

Second corner and safety are huge concerns for me

Dale

Reaction score
Disagree a bit here, I really think freeman didn’t do a good job fitting scheme/plays to personnel….
We left Lewis on an island a good bit, that’s not a sound move but it’s what he wants to do. Foskey and Justin a at second level of D… white Kiser betrand at 3rd level of D…. That’s his scheme but didn’t fit the players.

I think a blitzing Marist can be a game wrecker like at UNC. Concerned about betrands size/strength in the middle.

I think Joseph will have a better statistical season than KH ever had at ND.

I expect mills to be a monster on the end and make it almost impossible to run to his side unless doubled.

Second corner and safety are huge concerns for me

So what was the solution to linebackers in coverage? You’re confident Barnes or Tucker would have been better? You say to end corner and safety are huge concerns yet earlier take issue with Lewis and linebackers and DEs in coverage. So you see the issue. Let’s hear the solution

PutuporShutup

Reaction score
So what was the solution to linebackers in coverage? You’re confident Barnes or Tucker would have been better? You say to end corner and safety are huge concerns yet earlier take issue with Lewis and linebackers and DEs in coverage. So you see the issue. Let’s hear the solution
The solution at second corner is you don’t ride with someone all game every game that is playing bad and more importantly doesn’t have the physical traits to be very good. We needed to get players reps at that position last year and didn’t. Pretty much every corner is more talented than Lewis. Maybe Lewis practices well(reports say otherwise) but You can’t keep banging head against brick wall with him. He’s struggled enough. Your wasting quality reps on someone that has minimal power 5 corner talent. We lost out on development of more talent, don’t make same mistake again.

Second safety I don’t have as clear of answer, we’ve recruited the position so bad. It’s not Houston or brown, I have hope for watts. I’m concerned Henderson only has straight line speed, he struggles with change of direction. To me Riley should be there developing. Heck maybe even Lewis. Can’t move both though this year. Walters makes plays but is he ready?

In short, if jaden is all that give them the reps and let’s go. It’s not Lewis.

At safety opposite Joseph I’m far less clear, I hope it’s watts but feel it’s Houston or brown because they know position the best, not play the best.

DEs and lbs dropping back levels. Maybe disguise it rather than line them up there. Not hard. Also, betrand should not be in on clear passing situations. We have enough secondary talent to pull him out on 3rd and long.

Not being at practices, it’s much easier to know who it’s not just in physical traits then to say who it should be. It’s not Lewis or houston or brown. Probably not Henderson.

Dale

Reaction score
The solution at second corner is you don’t ride with someone all game every game that is playing bad and more importantly doesn’t have the physical traits to be very good. We needed to get players reps at that position last year and didn’t. Pretty much every corner is more talented than Lewis. Maybe Lewis practices well(reports say otherwise) but You can’t keep banging head against brick wall with him. He’s struggled enough. Your wasting quality reps on someone that has minimal power 5 corner talent. We lost out on development of more talent, don’t make same mistake again.

Second safety I don’t have as clear of answer, we’ve recruited the position so bad. It’s not Houston or brown, I have hope for watts. I’m concerned Henderson only has straight line speed, he struggles with change of direction. To me Riley should be there developing. Heck maybe even Lewis. Can’t move both though this year. Walters makes plays but is he ready?

In short, if jaden is all that give them the reps and let’s go. It’s not Lewis.

At safety opposite Joseph I’m far less clear, I hope it’s watts but feel it’s Houston or brown because they know position the best, not play the best.

DEs and lbs dropping back levels. Maybe disguise it rather than line them up there. Not hard. Also, betrand should not be in on clear passing situations. We have enough secondary talent to pull him out on 3rd and long.

So all this to say basically you would have played Riley, Tucker, Watts and Barnes more. The guys that didn’t play and we really know nothing about would have been upgrades over the guys that did, in short.

INLaw

Reaction score
So all this to say basically you would have played Riley, Tucker, Watts and Barnes more. The guys that didn’t play and we really know nothing about would have been upgrades over the guys that did, in short.
That was my read but 3 of them were listed at CB and the CB coach (Mickens) is known as playing his young players and coaching them up so 🤷🏻. Occums razor says they weren’t ready. I think on these young guys we have already forgotten how messed up their development got by covid seasons being missed and or truncated.

PutuporShutup

Reaction score
They key is practice not holding all or most of the key reps for Lewis, when you know he’s not it.

I figured you may need some help understanding how top coaches get their talented players developed :) jk … a corner on a top team that played as bad as lewis has for 1.5 years shouldn’t be rolling with the 1s … I stand firm with my take that he may be better than a power 5 cb but it’s not obvious

If Lewis is the best we have then it’s an epic failure on the coaching staff to recruit and develop. I’m not at practices so I know I don’t see pretty much anything, meaning, maybe she’s our best option. I just can’t believe that though

Last edited:

Dale

Reaction score
They key is practice not holding all or most of the key reps for Lewis, when you know he’s not it.

I figured you may need some help understanding how top coaches get their talented players developed :) jk … a corner on a top team that played as bad as lewis has for 1.5 years shouldn’t be rolling with the 1s … I stand firm with my take that he may be better than a power 5 cb but it’s not obvious

If Lewis is the best we have then it’s an epic failure on the coaching staff to recruit and develop. I’m not at practices so I know I don’t see pretty much anything, meaning, maybe she’s our best option. I just can’t believe that though

Okay.

This started with a commentary on Freeman’s scheme and you’ve offered little about scheme differences and instead just a lot of words to not like Lewis and say all the backups could be better than the starters. Which was exactly my point. Most people have no issue or no real idea about Freeman’s scheme. They don’t like the personnel.

PutuporShutup

Reaction score
Okay.

This started with a commentary on Freeman’s scheme and you’ve offered little about scheme differences and instead just a lot of words to not like Lewis and say all the backups could be better than the starters. Which was exactly my point. Most people have no issue or no real idea about Freeman’s scheme. They don’t like the personnel.
You Skip over the part on his 3-3-5 scheme plugging squares into round holes? He likes to mix and match fronts but there is absolutely no deception. He also allows his DEs when rushing an athletic qb to not be concerned about contain, relying on lbs to clean it up. We did not have athletic lbs or good tacklers to clean it up …and poor safety plan other than Hamilton. Watch Florida state, tech, UNC, ok state. Yet he never changed his tactics.

Our dline whipped a lot of teams olines last year, but rarely in 3 down. Yet we kept trying. We even would rush 3 slower interior dlinemen and blitz no one giving opposing teams the opportunity to double everyone and qbs having all day.

There were a lot of stuff I liked in his 4 down base package with lbs blitzes. At times our lbs just whiffed like in ok state, so I don’t blame freeman there.