'23 NJ S Adon Shuler (Notre Dame Verbal)

Luckylucci

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
He had a great season. Glad he's ours, for now.

I'm getting a little ahead of myself but this will be interesting to follow. The slippery slope that is committed kids taking visits. Does a long time committed prospect like Adon, who previously never discussed taking visits, start to take them when his peers are and he has Bama interest? This is the slippery slope I'm concerned about. When committed prospects don't take visits their is no hierarchy to taking visits. You take visits, we recruit the spot as open. As of right now, we have 3 DB's in the class with 2 of them openly planning visits. If Adon does so, how in the world do you operate under the guise of having 3 DB commits? You can't or you shouldn't. Will make for an interesting cycle.

IHateMarkMay

IHateDavidPollackToo
Reaction score
How many teams are there now that do not allow commits to visit other schools? Honest question as I am not sure. I know Clemson used to not allow it, but times have changed. If we need to recruit kids committed to other schools and get them to visit, so be it.

stlnd01

Was away. Now returned.
Reaction score
Part of the risk of pursuing/taking early commits from highly-rated kids. But it raises an interesting question.

Are you better off having a recruit commit early - and thus occupy a spot on your board - but later take his visits and potentially flip? Or have a wide-open board but fill your class later in the cycle?
(Or, I suppose, the Kelly approach of locking down a class early with a bunch of good but not elite high-fit kids, and thus a very boring and quiet Signing Day.)

T-Boone

Reaction score
I would encourage the recruit to take visits and while on the visits subtly recruit for ND.
But also as soon as the vibe is that the kid isn’t really committed then start recruiting the position again as though he isn’t. Except for keeley level guys who you just do whatever needs to be done to keep them.

BrownerandFry

Reaction score
I would encourage the recruit to take visits and while on the visits subtly recruit for ND.
But also as soon as the vibe is that the kid isn’t really committed then start recruiting the position again as though he isn’t. Except for keeley level guys who you just do whatever needs to be done to keep them.
ND got in early.

But consider Shuler's life.

If Alabama offers Shuler $100 K in NIL, and you're his pastor, do you advise SHULER
to take the ND scholarship and wait for the 40 year payoff
or take the $100 k and sprinkle it around to his family

And always, always, remember Jack Nickel.
It's different now, in so many ways.

Luckylucci

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Part of the risk of pursuing/taking early commits from highly-rated kids. But it raises an interesting question.

Are you better off having a recruit commit early - and thus occupy a spot on your board - but later take his visits and potentially flip? Or have a wide-open board but fill your class later in the cycle?
(Or, I suppose, the Kelly approach of locking down a class early with a bunch of good but not elite high-fit kids, and thus a very boring and quiet Signing Day.)
I think the correct answer is both. I would re-instate the committed kids can take visits but don’t have slots rule. No need to kick them out of the class or anything like that. Just let them know you’ll have to keep recruiting other prospects as well. If you have 3 DB’s committed and all 3 are takings visits, then just recruit like you have zero. If need 5, than the board better be pretty damn big. Tell the kids as soon as they stop taking visits and truly shut it down they stop recruiting that spot. There are still plenty of really good players like Burnham, Gobaira, Ford, etc that commit and don’t take visits. Fill your class with 70% of those guys and then if you fill the other 30% with “elite” guys still taking visits then just recruit 130% size class.

Luckylucci

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ND can’t fill roster holes like other programs do. Therefore, it’s much more important for program stability that we have a solid base of commits/signees throughout and at the end of every cycle.

The reason for that is ultimate numbers recruited for each class. ND recruits approx 2-3 less players/cycle than most football factories. And that's not including JUCO's or transfers. ND is very selective on transfers. And, JUCO's is a hard no.

So, if ND misses on a position group because they're chasing the elite talents late in the cycle, it is much harder for them to fill that void (at least it has been) due to the previous limitations. And, keep in mind, this is with Kelly already starting to push numbers higher.

For example, over the last 4 years, Bama has added 115 players, per 247 through recruiting, transfers, and JUCO's. ND has added 95. 20 players over 4 years is 5 per cycle. That's insane. Imagine if ND could start to fix roster holes by simply adding 2 extra DB's, 2 extra WR's, and an extra DL (just name a position). That's two extra. Meaning if ND usually adds 4 DB's they start adding 6, every cycle. Instead of 4 WR's it's 6, every cycle. Even if ND gets to the point where they are recruiting elite talent every year, the numbers will always put ND at a disadvantage when they miss. Which is why I made the point a couple weeks back that if this is how we're going to recruit, I think the only logical way for it to make sense is to build in class attrition. If the plan is to sign 5DB's then be prepared to take 7 DB commits.

Committed prospects taking visits just increases the risks as we're holding spots for guys that are on the fence. Last cycle, ND recruited 4 DB's + an elite S. They missed on the elite S and then had a de-committment from a guy on the fence. This ending up with 3 DB's. Now, they did get a grad transfer S so that makes 4. But, I don't know how likely it is that their will be Brandon Joseph's at every position lined up for future misses.

irishandy

Reaction score
One of the things that stuck with me about Charlie Weis and committed kids: if you are looking so are we.

DCDomer

Reaction score
The cost of doing business in the big leagues of 'crootin should be obvious to everyone at this point and it's only MF's first cycle. Be prepared for 365 days of heartburn as an IE poster.

ThePiombino

The OG "TP"
Reaction score
It is a big deal. I love that we saw how good he was early and got his commitment before the "big dogs" even noticed him. Now they are finally seeing how good he is. We are evaluating and seeing talent early in the process.
Yeah, I just mean no need to panic. Yet lol

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

BobbyMac

O'Skool
Staff member
Reaction score
Wasn't JOK a 185lb safety in HS?

Koon Burner coming online in 3-2-1

FS1B6BSWQAUZWiK

NDPhilly

Philly Torqued
Reaction score
Everyone should do a Google of Irvington NJ to see what this kid overcame. Probably my favorite commit in the class. Kid changed his whole family’s trajectory through his hard work.

#1rish

Count On Me
Reaction score
Everyone should do a Google of Irvington NJ to see what this kid overcame. Probably my favorite commit in the class. Kid changed his whole family’s trajectory through his hard work.
+1. Being from Jersey I'm somewhat familiar with the area and Irvington is almost an extension of Newark. Rooting hard for this kid.